Share your stories of holiday spirit

Louis Power

Lights

Staff at The Telegram have been inspired by a web commenter who shared a touching story about a generous woman who helped fill her cupboards for Christmas.

Here is the comment: “hello, I am a mom of three little boys and the holidays can be a tough time financial and emotionally. Struggling for christmas groceries and presentys and all the little things you need to have a happy holiday. Well this year my worries of all the extras was taking care of, A woman named mrs Harris and her co-workers, Put together a Christmas Hamper for us. This was out of the goodness of her heart that she thought of doing this for us. I actually ran out of cupboard space. When i seen the amount of stuff i was so overwelmed with joy. This is what christmas really is about. I thanked Mrs Harris and gave a christmas card but to me that just wasn't enough so i wanted to post on here about my Christmas Angel and how she made my families christmas a little bit brighter this year. Thank you so much.”

We’d love to hear your uplifting stories of holiday spirit, too. Post your messages here as comments.

Comments

Comments

• Herb Morrison
    December 26, 2012 - 10:13

Ms. Wride. That's the spirit

• Dawn Wride
    December 25, 2012 - 04:21

Living in a Muslim country, today, Dec 25th is just another work day. However, the amazing group of Muslims I work with ensured that there was christmas cake, gifts and christmas music for me at work today. A truly meaningful example of how we can all respect and honor each others traditions and beliefs and in a small way, perhaps, make this world a better place.

• Herb Morrison
    December 24, 2012 - 14:56

Hey Les, your comment attests to the fact that even at this time of year when the Holiday spirit brings out the best in most people, someone like yourself finds a way to demonstrate the worst in people.

• Florence Parsons
    December 24, 2012 - 13:47

Many years ago, my younger child would be three at Christmas. She wanted a pair of roller skates. At that time, the skates were $30.00. At a garage sale, I found a perfect, gently used pair for $5.00. Christmas morning, she was overjoyed. Put them on right away - skating all over the basement. That afternoon, a neighbor's child arrived. She said, "Those skates are not from Santa. They are used. There are scratches on the toes. Little Meg came to me all sad. Relating the story. I replied, "Of course, there are scratches on the toes, the elves had to try them out to be sure they worked." After that whenever she showed off her roller skates, she would point out the scratches and inform, proudly, that they were made by the elves.

• Sara Beth Clarke
    December 23, 2012 - 20:50

Back about 8 years ago I had the biggest two surprises of my life, I was in my first year of high school and my mother let me take the day off from school cos she had a lot to do that day and had to go to the airport to pick up a "Friend" and the "Friend" she had been talking about was my sister and nephew. I remember that day so plainly and clearly because the day before that my sister announced that she was pregnant with her second child. In the airport I went up the escalator to see the planes coming in and when I looked down by the luggage pick-up they where both waving at me that was the first time I cried from being surprised . In my second surprise it was Christmas day and my oldest sister had surprised the both of us and was knocking on my door and I answered it and it was her. That was my favorite Christmas memory of all :)

• Tim Jamison
    December 23, 2012 - 12:09

A befuddled lady was standing behind me in line at Shopper's the other day. She had nothing to carry her items. She had a lot of stuff and she dropped several things so I picked up some of it and put it in my carrying-thing (I forget what they're called). Then I let her go ahead of me when my turn came. Simple things. Merry Christmas

• Rob
    December 22, 2012 - 07:19

Back about 8 years ago on Christmas Eve I was fueling up the car and out of corner my eye I see this old fragile looking man fighting with a car jack to get his car off the ground was an old 80's Solid Metal Fullsize Car. I parked beside him and said Sir step aside let me help you.So I Undid his Lugs and Jacked her up and swapped his flat tire out.The man goes and tries slip 2 $50 bills in my Jacket and I go" No Sir I dont need Anything at all" So We talking for a bit and since Tim Horton there I said get get out of this wet snow and grab a coffee.So we went in and sat for at least 2 hours ,He told me his wife Passed away last Cristmas Day and that his Cancers spread so much he will not make it to new years so please take my money if you dont need or want it please give it away so under his name I donated to Cancer society.Sure enough on new years day in paper it did post this man did pass away.But its a Christmas story that'll last for life for me.

• Angela
    December 21, 2012 - 12:34

2011 started as a good year for me but ended not so good. I had to quit my part-time job due to back problems and the very next day I got laid off from my full time job. This was the end of September. By mid December I was still waiting on my EI and was falling behind on all my bills. I didn't even want to put up a Christmas tree, it was too stressful, not having two pennies to rub together let alone buy gifts for my daughter (who told me she didn't need anything and it was okay) but who wants to go through Christmas without giving at least something to your child. When her teacher, Ms. Wells, heard of our situation she gathered all she could, she brought me two food hampers, and a couple of days before Christmas, she delivered a full box of gifts for my daughter, a full box of gifts for me and about $300 in gift cards from her family and from the school. I cried there in my porch when she delivered it. I don't remember ever having a teacher that cared so much to do all that she did. She made our Christmas very special and she was definitely my Christmas Angel!! I could never repay her for the kindness and generosity that she bestowed upon us last Christmas. I hope that one of these years I will be in a position to help someone else who may be in the predicament that I found myself in last year. Thank you Ms. Wells!!