The Canadian Red Cross reports there were at least four house fires in the St. John’s metro area following the snowstorm that caused thousands to lose power.
A home in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s was destroyed late Thursday evening. A male and female couple said to be in their 60s are staying with relatives.
A woman and two young children were also left homeless after a fire late Friday caused extensive damage to a basement apartment on Lewisporte Place in St. John’s. The occupants were already staying with a relative due to a power outage, and are remaining there.
The Canadian Red Cross provided emergency supplies to the individuals impacted by each of the fires. House fires on Cowan Avenue in St. John’s and Donovan’s Road in Goulds (a chimney fire), did not require assistance from the non-profit organization.