Comments

Comments

• Marie
    January 16, 2013 - 07:20

@Pedestrian/Driver, I couldn't agree more about joggers, they do think they own the road, many times myself I had to make a complete stop and almost being rear ended because of these people....its not fair at all. In this case I will say this lady did nothing wrong.....a lot of ppl do but she did her best, with that said, my advice to any pedestrian is always make eye contact with the driver.

• A pedestriant and a driver
    January 15, 2013 - 21:37

@Barney no one are blaming these accidents on pedestraints only I walk yes there are drivers that have to be more careful and I also drive I do not text or use my cell phone while driving,but let me tell you there are many people walking that are on cell phones and texting while trying to cross a street,then there is the sane one doing all the right things.Another thing is these joggers are the most inconsiderate pedestraints out there they jog 3-4 in a row as if they own the roads.I sorry if I don,t give them a break but I am the one the hold a licence and insurance for the road not these joggers,so have consideration for the driver.Stay on the die walks or trails.Sorry if they are level enough but get used to it.When I walk I use the sidewalks not the middle of the road.So don,t always blame the driver.

• Marie
    January 15, 2013 - 19:12

I was a witness to this accident....the lady was standing at a green light, flowing with traffic, she pressed the crosswalk button, the driver was on a red light, stopped, she waited carefully for the sign to say walk, the driver was looking left, making a right turn, she proceeded to walk and the driver never did a double check and struck her.....clearly she did what she was supposed to do, she was not careless nor ignoring what she was doing.....she could have been killed had she been sent in the other lane of flowing traffic....too many ppl talk when they have no idea what they are talking about.

• tom
    January 14, 2013 - 16:12

I counted no less than TEN people on their cell phones today in a 20 minute drive across the city. Cops? Counted none. People here are just distracted when driving from phones, to texting to simply not stopping at cross walks when they certainly could. Wish the RNC had some, any, presence on our streets. A blitz every May 24th gets hundreds of people and then they don't do another.

• Whaddaya At ?
    January 14, 2013 - 15:21

Use a crosswalk in NL, whether on the road or a parking lot, and you run the risk of being killed. Too many drivers ignore crosswalks and too many pedestrians are so naive that they simply assume drivers are going to stop for them. Instead of making eye contact with drivers, they walk with their heads down, text on their phones or gab with their friends. It's too late to smarten up when you're laid out on the asphalt.

• cathy power
    January 14, 2013 - 14:59

that person was my best friend,i am so glad she is going to be okay,i walk everyday in this city and one day i was out and the driver wasn't even watching where he was going,you certainly take your life in your hands walking in this city..

• Barney
    January 14, 2013 - 14:43

Drives me insane when the pedistran is blamed. Yes they are getting hurt no matter what but what if she did take all the precautions and was hit anyway? What do you say then? The driver should be the one to stop at all times!!! Do you want that on your conscious that you hit a person knowing full well you were at fault?

• Mike
    January 14, 2013 - 14:35

I don't know the specifics of this incident but I do see a lot of case where pedestrians just assume cars are going to stop and march out onto crosswalks without looking. Drivers are not always able to see you. Downtown is terrible for this with cars parked on the road and people popping out from behind them. Everyone needs to be more careful, drivers and pedestrians.

• Emily
    January 14, 2013 - 14:29

As someone from out of province, I can say that drivers are very aggressive here. Not at all what I was expecting. I frequently see people speeding carelessly, even with less than ideal weather conditions. Pretty scary.

• Lynn
    January 14, 2013 - 14:17

Drivers need to be very vigilant when making right turns at any intersection and especially so when we have these huge snowbanks limiting our visibility. It only takes a moment to do a quick double-check to be sure there isn't someone about to cross. Pedestrians - always make sure you make eye contact with the driver sitting at the intersection *before* you start to cross. I speak from experience. I was struck by a car (thankfully only a minor bump) when I crossed at an intersection (with the light) and the driver waiting to turn failed to notice me.

• susan
    January 14, 2013 - 13:47

Crosswalks also need to be painted twice a year - paint is faded from most of them now. This is a very busy intersection.

• David Wilson
      January 14, 2013 - 14:43

Studded tires wear off the paint. When prey tell would be the best time for the second coat of paint Susan? Paint can't stick to a wet street. The City has enough trouble paiting all that needs to be painted in a single year let along trying to do this twice a year.

• Dan
    January 14, 2013 - 13:32

I agree with Santo, that intersection is crazy! I seen an older lady almost get hit in that same spot a few months back, good thing she was spry or else she would have been hit.

• Hunter
    January 14, 2013 - 13:27

That's right in my backyard. I have family members who cross there as pedestrians multiple times each day. They frequently report having close calls. Just last year our nephew was struck there - Thankfully he was not injured.. So it would appear, that intersection is dangerous at the best of times. Drivers constantly throw caution to the wind, and pay little or no attention to pedestrians and that traffic light. Oddly we seldom see the RNC present when someone fails to yield to pedestrians who are properly using the traffic lights. Maybe now we'll see a little more patrol and diligence by enforcement officers.

• Kilgore Trout
    January 14, 2013 - 13:14

I don't understand why our traffic lights are configured in such a way that gives the walking signal to pedestrians while still giving cars the green light to make left and right turns into those crosswalks. Perhaps it has something to do with traffic flow, but it definitely places too much confidence on drivers being aware of what's going on around them.

• Brad
    January 14, 2013 - 13:12

Not kidding I almost hit someone when they were crossing the parkway by MUN Business Building. I had a green light. Pedestrians need to watch out too and not make reckless decisions. Just because this pedestrian was on a crosswalk may nit have meant she had the light to cross.

• anna
    January 14, 2013 - 13:08

We should keep a tally of the number of people who get hit while crossing on a crosswalk. The drivers in this city are nuts, they never slow down even at crosswalks and should be fined thousands of dollars if they hit someone on a crosswalk. On another note, I drove behind someone on New Year's Day, coming up the harbour front, she was doing about 10 km an hour, when I got up to the lights on Water, I was turning left and she was in the other lane, young and driving SUV, lo and behold, she was on her phone texting while driving. I blew the horn to her and she looked at me and kept on texting.

• SANTO
    January 14, 2013 - 11:43

I am in that area often, it was only a matter of time before someone got hit at that crosswalk, I have often witnessed drivers go through the red lights there, never mind stop for people on the crosswalk.