Comments

Comments

• My city too
    January 20, 2013 - 16:38

I'm sure the majority of councillors have a political affiliation however they run as independent thinkers. The thought of a slate running to force NDP political decision making on the city is scary to put it mildly. With regards to OLeary as mayor, the very thought makes me shudder in dismay for the well being of the city. No doubt we will have lot of trees and every citizen well be given a white suit for protest, her leadership style is one of arrogance and uninformed. Anyone who votes on issues without fully understanding the issue has to make one question their abitiliy,but then to vote over and over again for an item and stand and say they don't agree with it. REALLY OLeary . NDP slate not what this city needs. They would run the city into the ground and my tax dollars would plant trees and fund the arts. That's about it. Progress not likely under an NDP slate nor O'Leary I feel the majority of citizens won't be lead down the NDP garden path to a weed bed.

• jeremiah
    January 20, 2013 - 14:02

I would vote for and campaign for anyone who has amalgamation of the NE Avalon as a priority. The lack of planning in this region is pathetic. Amalgamation will be realized. Lets make it sooner rather than later.

• ms reality
    January 20, 2013 - 09:28

Im trying to see this article for its validity. I can see a strong NDP wave trying to soak up the seats at city hall. However, an obvious PC council currently exists, so whats the big deal? While I am not a party person myself and would prefer to vote for the 'best person'... I have major concerns for St.Johns should Oleary become mayor. This woman has to get her ducks in a row and realize that running a city is more than planting trees, conducting a "Butt Campaign" (that was a big success???lol), suggesting tordon elimination (prov issue that had been addressed by city before|), the fence (that she voted in favor of, and again supported the 2013 budget that announced funding for the fence), and now the damn pensions that has already been discussed by herself and the rest of council (let me guess, she will donate hers to charity??) I would like to ask what her experience is in economics? she spends more time discussing the Indian Status than things more pressing like infrastructure and development. I really like the point she makes about getting more than 24000 votes!!! |I nearly woke the neighborhood laughing!!!! I suppose she forgot there were another 3 people on the ballot sheet|? Guess, they didn't get one vote, not even their own!! Cant wait to hear another 1/2 hour about trees tomorrow... oh but its going to save the city millions by soaking up the water in the ground!!!!!! Oh SHEILAGH, go do your homework!!!!!

• Jim
    January 20, 2013 - 07:15

When council is dominated by a group of conservative geriatrics would spend most meetings wallowing in gossip, who are so dedicated to anti-intellectualism that they refuse to recognize the differences between fact and fiction (and who appear to be thoroughly confused by the studies that they contract, and thus then ignore), who are so stubbornly nostalgic that they are dedicated to repeating the mistakes that have been proven disastrous by other dysfunctional cities throughout the world... perhaps it is time to retire? Of course, many residents in St. John's, and Newfoundland more broadly, would be horrified by the idea of a well educated, progressive city council. We need things to be black and white, good and evil... Christian, white, heterosexual, and conservative.

• Jay
    January 19, 2013 - 15:52

Doc's stance on slates must have changed recently. He was part of the Wells, Coombs, Dinn, etc slate for years. It may have been unofficial but it was easily recognizable. Notwithstanding, this is a tempest in a teapot, and probably a poorly disguised attack on O'Leary. As voters, we simply choose which individuals we want to choose. We're not obliged to follow any party loyalty. Furthermore, Doc should concentrate on running the city effectively instead of getting caught up in these petty conspiracy plots.

• Christopher Chafe
    January 19, 2013 - 15:17

I fear for this city if O'Leary get's in the mayor's chair. There is one way to either prove this rumor true or false: ask those who throw their names in the hat what political stripe they are. I for one have no intention of voting in a candidate that supports the NDP.

• Jennifer McCreath
    January 19, 2013 - 15:04

While it is important for City Council to have good rapport with all provincial and federal political parties, we as voters have to be well aware of the impact - specifically the risks and potential conflicts of interest, of allowing provincial and federal partisan politics to impact municipal issues. When I announce my intentions to run for City Council - and yes, I plan on making a formal announcement soon, I will make it clear that I will not be a member of any provincial or federal political party, so long as I am seeking election to City Council, and/or so long as I sit on city council.

• WILLY
    January 19, 2013 - 12:25

Paranoid Councillors?...maybe.. O'leary for Mayor Duff for deputy Mayor the remainder are the status quo and if change is to happen in St. john's these folks have to go.

• Steve
    January 19, 2013 - 12:18

This is completely bogus. Most of the current council are tories, and everyone knows it. Tom Hann is a Liberal. Doc O'Keefe has publicly acknowledged being a PC campaign worker, I know former Councillor Keith Coombs was a big Tory as well. If anyone with an association with the NDP happens to get elected to council, so be it, because it's no different than most of the other councillors. A fair-minded perspective on this is that anyone interested in City Council is probably interested in politics in general, and has probably been involved with one political party or another. Doc is is the one who is spreading the rumour, trying to smear other candidates. He is the one who is introducing party politics into the municipal political arena.

• Robert
    January 19, 2013 - 11:10

Well there goes my vote for the NDP! St. John's does not need such interference. Anybody is entitled to run in an election but NOT with "other" motives; they obviously will not be representing the people.

• GT
      January 22, 2013 - 11:54

Why are some people so afraid of the NDP?No one from the NDP came out and said they have other motives in an election, and, if they were having anyone run.Mayor Okeefe is getting so paranoid and trying to nip this( rumor) in the butt before it may happen.Relax you have two terms in,you will be looked after.When their is proof than speak.

• Political Watcher
    January 19, 2013 - 10:27

O'Keefe says "But politically speaking, he said councillors shouldn't be toeing any party line". Sure O'Keefe is an extension of the current PC Party; he toed to party lines for them more time tha any other and on occasion, at the expense of his residents. The countdown is on Doc.

• Doug
    January 19, 2013 - 10:24

Paranoia hits the bunker! If they bunkerites were as worried about doing the jobs they were elected to do as they are in making sure they keep getting elected, perhaps the city wouldn't be fall down around their ears.

• J
    January 19, 2013 - 09:47

Scary thought. He NDPs mayoral candidate, O'Leary, has been opposed to almost every development in the city since being elected. If she gets a majority we may be doomed, higher taxes and less business.

• John
    January 19, 2013 - 08:58

Whoever, "wink", started the rumour, it was a good political move to shoot down O'Leary before she can get a shot at the mayor's chair. Good Politics !

• Just Replace The Council Entirely
    January 19, 2013 - 08:57

Replace all of them with the Moonies or the NDP or whatever. But just replace this entire dismal council, every single one of them is a flop.

• W Bagg
    January 19, 2013 - 08:47

sounds like something Harper would come up with.................. a conspiracy theory................oh yeah which party has Doc volunteered for for several decades

• Orange hotdogs
    January 19, 2013 - 07:42

Retire Doc, out to pasture. Its either that or the glue truck! Its time for st.johns to be run like a city b'y.