Comments

Comments

• David Holmes
    February 11, 2013 - 08:37

I'm checking in because my wife and I just vacationed in Newfoundland and fell in love with the land and its people. i've been an American School Resource Officer for sixteen years, assigned to a Senior High School. I can well understand the caution people have with the police/school concept. Our program focuses on Education, Advising, and Law Enforcement. We do not enforce school policy. Our program defuses student situations, and offers assistance to students and their families through a variety of programs and services. You may find alot of reference material at www.NASRO.com. Best of luck to an incredible community.

• Gordon Mack Scott
    January 26, 2013 - 08:48

No criticism of the RNC, which, as a visitor to NL, I have found competent, relaxed when they need to be, and engaging, but Police are not parents or teachers. Surely, teachers and school administrators have good enough relations with police that they could arrange intros where students want to talk to the police informally. Are students engaged enough in the safety of their own schools? There are many examples across the country of student participation, with staff guidance, in enforcing codes of conduct through justice circles, student court etc, where they take responsibility, better understand the underlying problems, and own the success of a fairer and more safe school. Let's teach them to step up, instead of adding levels of control.

• Steve
    January 22, 2013 - 13:06

@Anon: Why don't we just have tanks patrolling Water Street? Overkill, you think? How about a fence around the Harbour? We don't need it, but why not, you never know. The reason we don't have guns in our schools is that we're not the US, where the gun culture is pervasive. Regarding Alarm Systems on your house, that's fine for you, but basically you're telling me I need an alarm system on my house too.

• Stan Darsh
      January 22, 2013 - 13:24

Steve, there have been instances where rifles and shotguns have been brought to school with the intent of using on other students, as I was involved in one (not the gun bringer). Also, I have heard of several more instances similar to mine. I'm not saying we need cops with guns, or even cops for that matter, but don't be so quick to turn a blind eye to the reality of our schools, which is more "Americanized" than you think.

• sandy beach
    January 22, 2013 - 08:14

OMG... guess the only place to have policeperson's office would be to partition off the resource room since that is where all the culprits are sent anyways, since the poore principal has his hands full with his ed-pod which has direct access to the board office...and the policeperson will have to ride the buses because that's where the counter is located, the counter over which all those goods are exchanged.... Will the policewo/man carry a weapon?...bien sur....s/he will be allowed to carry a strap, a wide, long, thick leather strap because any one c/ a miniscule amount of common sense knows that's how a school's power is wielded

• Steve
    January 22, 2013 - 07:49

I don't like where this is going. I like how the Dept. of Education and RNC guy described the situation - they already have a good working relationship, and they are available any time the school needs them. Do we need to give in to paranoia based on media reports?

• Harve
      January 22, 2013 - 08:24

To my limited knowledge, I believe police officers are not allowed to search a students locker unless they have a warrant. School officials (principal) can without a warrant. Secondly, police oficers are already stretched beyond belief and are expected to wear the hats of many. Let the teachers teach and provide oversight in the schools, includign discipline, and addressign bullying as they have to be srring it first hand. To me it seems we are gone so far the other way. Police should stick to policing our streets and keeping us safe in our communities, not playing the role of school administrator.

• Sheila
    January 22, 2013 - 07:40

I suggest that the school boards hire armed guards themselves. Perhaps off duty or retired police. Most of the youth that are into crime are those that receive little parental guidance. Afterall little John or Mary can do no wrong in the eyes of their parents. I pay enough to educate other peoples brats I do not want to have my police service dollars babysitting them.

• steve
      January 22, 2013 - 08:01

Armed guards in the schools? That's a bit extreme! How many incidents of guns in schools have we had in this province? Zero. This is not the US.

• esron
    January 22, 2013 - 07:18

so basically they want to have an outside agency in they schools because the board/ministry won't allow existing resources (parents and teachers) to do their job by disciplining students.

• BP
    January 22, 2013 - 06:51

You need administrators with backbone to make this happen. Most are afraid of the media.

• Anon
      January 22, 2013 - 11:30

@Steve So you're saying that because we haven't yet had a shooting incident that it couldn't happen? We are going to wait for an incident to happen before we put armed guards in place? That's like saying I don't need an alarm system on my house because no one ever stole anything in Newfoundland... Always a possibility something similar could happen in our schools. We should put the necessary preventative measures in place to prevent the chance of this ever happening BEFORE not after the fact.