Three people are temporarily homeless in Grand Falls-Windsor after a fire this morning gutted a basement apartment and caused significant smoke and water damage in the rest of a two-storey house, the Canadian Red Cross says.
Volunteers from the Canadian Red Cross have assisted a young couple renting the main level of the home with emergency lodging, purchases of clothing and food, and provided personal-care kits. The Red Cross hopes to follow up later with a man who lived in the apartment that bore the brunt of damage. He was not home at the time.
The fire was reported around 8:30 a.m. at 38-B Main Street.
There were no injuries, and no immediate word on the cause of the blaze.