Motorcycle crashes through garage door after on-street collision, woman injured

— Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

A woman received what appeared to be minor injuries when the motorcycle she was a passenger on collided with a vehicle this afternoon on Southside Road in St. John’s.

The accident, that sent the motorcycle crashing through the garage door of a home on Southside Road, occurred about 4 p.m.

Reports at the scene indicate the vehicle was making a U-turn when it and the motorcycle collided.

The female passenger of the motorcycle was thrown to the ground during the collision.

The RNC, paramedics and the St. John’s Regional Fire Department responded to the scene.

There was significant damage to the garage.

Traffic was slowed but moving through the area.

Organizations: Regional Fire Department

Geographic location: Southside Road

Comments

Comments

• Rob WS
    February 02, 2013 - 17:09

The driver of the truck was clearly in the wrong. I would be lying to say I have never made a u-turn in my life. I have been driving for 29 years with no accidents and no tickets. The few times I have made a u-turn, I used my mirrors and checked over my shoulder. You know, to make sure no one was coming - like another car, a bike, a truck, a bus. I highly doubt the driver of the car did this. The motorcyclist was wearing a high-vis jacket and helmet!! To those of you who said it's winter, he shouldn't be riding, I say this: we ALL take risks and regardless of how we choose to get around, we should ALL try to mitigate our risks. But don't blame the rider. That would be like saying to a pedestrian who gets run over by a drunk driver that she (the pedestrian) shouldn't have been out walking. Give me a break.

• the garage door owner
    February 01, 2013 - 23:13

..glad to hear that no one was hurt but at the end of the day I'm the one who came home from work to face this with only a neighbour left around to explain things and a large insurance deductible to pay! I don't even have the involved peoples names to give to my insurance. I care not who is at fault here.

• Christine
    February 01, 2013 - 17:34

I am not always a fan of motorcyclists, but I know that the person in this instance is a mature safe driver. He wears appropriate brightly coloured and reflective clothing (you'd have to seriously visually impared to miss). It was a street bike, just not a rediculously overpowered bohemoth. I was not there, but have to believe the driver of the truck had to be at fault. As for winter driving, yesterday's weather was no worse than most days in May and even snow banks were nearly non-existent. The weather is a non-issue.

• Resident of Southsidecrd
    February 01, 2013 - 10:25

Yes listen to everyones comments,the truck was in the wrong,no side walks this could have been someone walking,a child on a bike,just because there is snow on the ground don,t mean you have to sit in your house.Obey the rules of the road u turns are illegal,my son could have been getting of the school bus only 20 minutes before this.The guy making the u turn is the jerk in this case,not the bike!

• Winter Rider
    February 01, 2013 - 09:05

Many people ride motorcycles all year long. It does pose certain risks but the main risk is the other vehicles on the road that just don't see them. Regardless of the time of year this is a case where the driver of the truck didn't see the bike and made a turn when it was clearly not safe. To the people with the negative comments the weather conditions at the time or the season in no way contributed to this accident but the error of a driver in the truck.

• Gail
    February 01, 2013 - 07:52

Hey Bob - The motorcycle rider appears innocent from this article. The idiot appears to have been making a u-turn in a car and hit the motorcycle.

• Kevin Power
    January 31, 2013 - 20:57

Bad plan, riding a motor cycle this time of the year. Might be a nice spring like day, however still lots of snow around and no shortage of drivers who don't know how to drive let alone consider that there might be some other vehicle on the road today. I hope that the riders are not seriously injured.

• Bob
    January 31, 2013 - 20:45

Hey idiots! Keep your motorcycles in the shed until spring.Plus seven in January doesn't mean you can take them out and cause problems.

• Herb
      February 01, 2013 - 08:21

Hey idiot, why don't you keep your lame-brained opinions to yourself. A truck made a u-turn and cut off the bike! Can't you read? It's not the bikes causing problems it's idiots like you that have no respect for them. Bikers pay to be on the roads just as you do! So why don't you and the rest of the haters do the normal world a favour and curb your uneducated prejudice. Bikers have just as much right to be on the roads as everyone else. Deal with it!!

• Jim
      February 01, 2013 - 11:48

Hey Bob, Maybe you should read the entire story and realize the bike WAS NOT AT FAULT! Typical cage driver opinion on something you know nothing about.

• A resident of Southside Rd
    January 31, 2013 - 20:01

This is an everyday thing here on SouthsideRd, there are more cars side swiped,mirrors being taken of by speeding cars,two hit and runs the last few months with thousands of dollars of damage and nothing hitting the news.We have been fighting the city for the last ten years and still nothing,glad the girl is not hurt to serious it could of been worst school buses dropping of children at the same time.Wake up City Council and do something with the traffic calming before someone is killed.

• curious
    January 31, 2013 - 15:27

It is January 31st for crying out loud! What is Gods name would ANYONE be out on a motorcycle for!

• flexxa
    January 31, 2013 - 15:22

...it looks like a dirt bike, it's February in NL and drivers doing u-turns. Yup - bet the emergency personnel were shaking their heads over this one.