A Newfoundland Supreme Court justice today expressed concern over delays in the case of accused murderer Trevor Pardy.
Pardy is accused of killing his former girlfriend Triffie Wadman on Oct. 1, 2011, in St. John's.
The case was called during arraignments at the court in St. John’s this morning, however, Pardy was not present.
Duty counsel Jason Edwards appeared on behalf of Pardy who has yet to secure a lawyer to represent him. Pardy had previously fired lawyer Jeff Brace with resulted in his trial, scheduled to go ahead last fall, not being able to proceed.
Edwards told the court today that Pardy was in hospital but did not say what the health issue was.
Crown prosecutor Ian Hollett expressed concern to Justice Wayne Dymond over delays in the case.
“I’m concerned too, so lets see what we can do to get this going,” said Dymond.
David Rogers, from the province’s Attorney General’s office, was present in court and told Dymond that Pardy had contacted the office about getting a lawyer but has not made an application. When the case was last called in court in December, it was set over to give Pardy time to obtain a lawyer. It has now been set over again to Feb. 22 for a status update.
The alleged incident occurred on Boggy Hall Place, off Forbes Street in the Topsail Road area of St. John’s.
Witnesses called the RNC around 1 a.m. that day, reporting a woman was lying in the street.
Wadman, of Freshwater, Placentia Bay, who lived in St. John's, was brought to hospital and treated for gunshot wounds. She died of her injuries.
Pardy, who grew up in Keels, Bonavista Bay, but lived in Mount Pearl, was taken into custody following a four-hour standoff with police following the shooting. He's been in custody ever since, having been denied bail.
He's pleaded not guilty to all three charges he faces: first-degree murder, using a firearm to commit a crime and having an unlicenced weapon (a 9-mm handgun).
Meantime, the murder cases of Philip Pynn and Lyndon Malcolm Butler were also called in arraignment court today.
Pynn, 26, and Butler, 22, are jointly charged in connection with the death of Nick Winsor, who was shot and killed at a house on Portugal Cove Road in the capital city on July 9, 2011.
Both are charged with a slew of charges, including second-degree murder and attempted murder.
Pynn, who is in custody, and Butler, who was released from jail following a bail review, also face a charges of attempted robbery, possessing a handgun, assault with a weapon and possessing a weapon while prohibited.
As well, Pynn faces counts of pointing a firearm, breaching probation and breaching conditions of two undertakings.
Lawyers representing both accused indicated they are still waiting for decisions on pre-trial applications. The cases were set over to May 2 when trial dates are expected to be set.
The case of David John Ryan was also called in arraignment court this morning.
Ryan was convicted of second-degree murder in May 2007 — in relation to a 2005 beating death of a man in Carbonear — but the conviction was later overturned by the Newfoundland Supreme Court of Appeal and a new trial ordered.
Ryan, who had been incarcerated since 2005, was granted bail last March after the appeals court decision.
St. John’s lawyer Bob Buckingham told the court today he is now representing Ryan for the retrial. Buckingham had represented Ryan during the appeal, but Ryan had represented himself during his initial trial for second-degree murder.
Pretrial discussions are to be held in the case on March 7 and a trial date will be set sometime after that.