Comments

Comments

• am
    February 05, 2013 - 20:52

Sorry Steve... just because you have been here now "for over three years", that doesn't make you a Newfoundland. And your lengthy "rant" has nothing to do with the article. Go Rant Somewhere else, or if you don't like Newfoundland and Labrador, go back to where you came from!

• Steve R
    February 05, 2013 - 13:30

What is new....I'll tell you what is new! For those of us over a certain age, we remember Ben Mulroney's father ( I don't want to say his name or I'll get sick)giving our job's and factories away with the North American Free Trade Agreement. Within months factories were closing all over Canada. I've been a Newfoundlander now for over three years and there simply isn't enough industry here to support the population. New housing does nothing to help, only adding more people with nowhere to work. I have not found a job yet...hard as I try, that is not seasonal. Originally from the mainland, I can see so clearly now that removing Newfoundlands railway system served only to enslave Newfoundlanders as workers for the rest of Canada. Now we have energy cash rolling in it absolutely must go back into industry supported by a sound rail system. Look at the England....similar in size to Newfoundland (113 sq mi or so) and they manufacture everything under the sun, including fighter jets and space vehicles. Why ? They have a railroad system. How many oild rigs do you think it will take to support Newfoundland? The math doesn't work. Factories where people work year round is the only way for us who don't have a government job. Me, I've started my own factory. I'm not sitting around waiting for Newfoundland to fully grow up...those are Brian Peckfords words BTW...smart man indeed. Some day I will be employing other Newfoundlanders and keeping our cash on the Island for a change. Billy Boot trash bags is a great example.

• Yukonlander
      March 13, 2013 - 19:15

If you talk to the Newfoundlanders (not the ones born after 1949) and learn a little about the history you will know that Newfoundland had many factories. Just like England (Purity is an example) but there were also other factories. All of this was taken from Newfoundland when we became part of Canada - Why are you even in Newfoundland, Three Years and you haven't found a job, why stay? Newfoundland was fully grown up and thanks to Canada, it was cut off at the knees so the rest of Canada and Quebec could reap the benefits.

• What is New ?
    February 05, 2013 - 10:47

This happens every day - except at a smaller level. Workers for 30 years do only seasonal work then go on the Dole for the winter, staying home, warm, watching TV and drinking beer, or at the cabin and spend others paid in money. The average seasonal worker pays $800 and collects several thousand - where do they tink that comes from ? It becomes a way of life and to ask them to work a minimum wage job when EI is more - forget it !

• a business man
    February 05, 2013 - 09:57

Good to see that the government is cracking down on abuse. Jail seems fair to me.

• INSPECTOR GADGET
      February 05, 2013 - 10:13

Seems to me like a few government employees weren't doing their jobs over a 5-year period. Wonder what will happen to them; promotions most likely.