Comments

Comments

• Ginger
    February 06, 2013 - 05:17

Thanks for the clarification Tara! This makes much more sense..so, basically its a “special” donation time for this well deserved home....very nice idea indeed!!

• used clothing accepted....
    February 06, 2013 - 05:11

FYI.....try reading the above story and the request for NEW clothing only before you you state your facts!!!!!

• max brown
    February 05, 2013 - 22:06

While I am glad that there is a shelter in our city that assists women fleeing abusive relationships, I have to admit I am puzzled as to why Kirby House would permit a picture of a resident to be used in this article. Everyone is aware that women are actually in more danger immediately after they leave an abusive partner..why then was a resident put in possible danger by the very place that acknowledges this fact? I realize that the shelter is a safe haven for many women and they must feel so grateful to be there. Surely their confidentiality should be protected even when they offer to "go public" , after all they do not have to show how grateful they are , it is their right and society's responsibility to provide that safety. . I think poor judgement was used here. I hope the woman remains safe in spite of it all.

• used clothing accepted
    February 05, 2013 - 18:43

FYI, Iris kirby house do accept used clothing and household items, I have dropped it of many times, just call ahead and let the house know that you are coming. they are very grateful for all donations.

• yeah right
    February 05, 2013 - 14:44

.. though i have empathy for women in truly abusive situations , it concerns me greatly that many of these shelters provide advice to women on how to use the "system" in their efforts to exclude men from the lives of their kids , it's far too easy to make false allegations ...

• Ginger
    February 05, 2013 - 14:08

Why can't the clothing donations be gently used?...I find it hard to believe that such an organization would ask for NEW clothing only!...I guess I will have to find another accepting organization to donate my 4 bags of “used” clothing to, which by the way is in immaculate condition! Sorry Iris Kirby!

• Tara Bradbury, Telegram reporter
      February 05, 2013 - 15:05

Hi Ginger, It's not actually Iris Kirby House that's specifying the items should be new only — when we started the Warm Hearts campaign, we thought (because most of the donations the shelter gets are typically second-hand) that a nice, new, never-worn pair of pyjamas might be something small and extra special that could provide the women and children with some comfort and love during a scary time. The shelter does have a donation box outside where it graciously accepts donations of gently used clothing, and I know these donations are much appreciated, also.

• JUST WONDERING
    February 05, 2013 - 13:32

Fully support Iris Kirby House. However, why is there not a safe house for abused men. They are out there, but I guess just too proud to admit that a woman is violent towards them. I think it's because they believe they should be the protectors and because of being abused by a women, it shows they are weak and unworthy. Works both ways folks.

• Joe it All
    February 05, 2013 - 13:17

If the abusive men were in jail where they belong the woman and children could stay in the house. At the very least the abuser should have to leave the family home.