Man accidentally kills coyote

Gary
Gary Kean

Stephen Caravan of Summerside poses with the coyote he accidentally ran over early morning Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013 before handing the carcass over to provincial wildlife officials.

CORNER BROOK — Stephen Caravan holds a licence to kill coyotes, but the one he bagged Tuesday morning was quite unexpected.

Caravan was on his way to his job of clearing snow for a local company around 4:30 a.m. when he suddenly came upon the animal in the middle of the north shore highway in the stretch of road between the communities of Summerside and Irishtown.

Driving in the stormy whiteout conditions, Caravan didn't have enough time to avoid running over the wild canine.

“I went through a snow squall and the coyote was right there in the middle of the road,” he said. “I couldn’t stop or get around it and it was either go in the ditch or into the guardrail, so the coyote was the one who got it.”

Caravan said there was a steep hill on one side and a steep cliff on the other, so the animal didn’t have many options either.

He got out to check on the coyote. It was still alive, but clearly seriously injured.

“Not thinking at first, I ran over to it,” he said. “Then I thought, this is a coyote that is injured, so I stepped back a little bit.”

The nasty weather conditions posed another potential hazard. Caravan said visibility remained good enough for him to wait to make sure the coyote was dead before he loaded it into his truck and brought the carcass to the local wildlife office.

“It was quite a big animal,” he said. “I figure it weighed about 50 pounds. I didn’t want to leave it there for someone in a small car or anyone else to run into.”

Caravan has seen plenty of wildlife in his early morning runs from his home in Summerside to work in Corner Brook. This was the first time he has seen a coyote.

The fact such a large specimen was in an area populated with small children and pets was a bit startling for him.

“I think we’re fortunate to have it out of the community,” he said.

Geographic location: CORNER BROOK, Summerside

Comments

Comments

• NoFoLDLaNDeR
    February 12, 2013 - 11:23

I really don't understand so peoples point of view on this!.....If that was 99% of the people out there they would have do the exact same thing. Why risk your life for a wild and savage animal. If the story would have read: Man Killed In Car Crash Trying To Avoid Coyote. With Would have been saying that this makes no sence for him to end up risking his own life, and for what?. And to Dorothy, If that nice tame Coyoty was to attack your cat one day while eating from it;s dish..........your tune would change

• shelley
    February 08, 2013 - 07:04

Nice comeback Steve. I really don't know what is wrong with people. You did the right thing. You risk your life every morning going out in this brutal winter weather so that others can drive safer. Thank you for that. :)

• Shawn
    February 07, 2013 - 19:43

Why is everyone so upset this man accidentally killed a coyote? Animals are killed on our roads and highways all the time. It is truly unfortunate but is simply an unavoidable part of our way of life. I think this guy went about it the right way and stopped and had the animal dealt with properly. He could have kept on driving like so many others have and continue to do. Also, whats the big outrage about the coyotes? Jeeze, they are small dogs. We have much bigger and badder pets roaming around town. Have any of you ever met up with a coyote while hunting or fishing? I have, and all you see is their butts running through the trees to get as far away from you as possible. They are far more afraid of us, than we are of them. I think to many people feed on the crap they read and see on the news, most of which are opinions rather than facts. The media brainwash seems to have no boundaries these days.

• Darren Buckle
    February 07, 2013 - 14:36

Well said Steve!

• Grant P
    February 07, 2013 - 12:31

HI Steve Glad you made the right decision and didn't get hurt. The rest is for the other people commenting. With regards to killing the coyote,killing isn't easy, but the coyote is an invasive species that aren't known for doing any good. With regards to attacks on people in newfoundland,give them time or you can think about the young musician who got killed in Cape Breton,sad and a hard way to die. It seems I don't see alot of wild cats anymore maybe related to the coyote presence. Funny,Anybody living in the BOI and hasn' drove in a snow storm must have had a very sheltered life,grow up people it happens.. All I can say is if a coyote gets in front of my vehicle or cross- ears I'll be aim'in straight ahead and not think twice. We didn't ask for them and we don't want them. Grant P

• Shining
    February 07, 2013 - 08:19

Seems to me you look pretty proud of yourself in that picture. Took a bit of trouble there to call the Western Star to cover the story ..... your 5 little seconds of fame. Please do not try to pass this off as a public service with talk about keeping children animals safe. You hunt them down, for goodness sake!

• Rhonda
    February 07, 2013 - 08:11

What all of you are saying is go in the ditch and risk the chance getting hurt or killed because of a coyote , he did the right thing .I think that you should be able to kill them when you want and how many you can . When they are so close to your community you can't trust to let your kids or pets outside .

• dorothy
    February 06, 2013 - 16:28

poor coyote. they are beautiful animal . why those this guy have a licence to kill them they dont bother humans. but humans should not kill this creater but relocate it. thats the right way to deal with these coyotes . i have one here in ontario who comes to eat out of my cats dish . he eats and goes on his merry way

• seanoairborne
    February 06, 2013 - 13:51

What's it with Newf's and coyotes?There are more dogs that bight and attack people then coyotes.In fact,can anybody on here point out to me one case where a person was attacked and injured by a coyote in Newfoundland?I didn't think so!You'd think that this guy ran over a Bengal Tiger or something!Geez!!

• glenn
      February 07, 2013 - 07:27

There has been a woman killed in Cape Breton and there was another attacked in Nova Scotia. I also herd of a duck hunter that was fallowed by a pack of coyotes back to his vehicle one evening. He fired off many warning shots to keep them back.

• Robert
    February 06, 2013 - 11:09

WTF! The guy drives a snow plow what would you suggest? Maybe he should wait for spring! The coyote; they are here and we might as well get used to it.

• wtf
    February 06, 2013 - 10:59

I don't know what concerns me more, the coyote or a person driving blind.

• Keith
    February 06, 2013 - 06:54

I guess if it had to be someone broke down on the road or pushing their car, you would not have been able to stop either. Drive according to the road and weather conditions.

• ClydeGreene
      February 06, 2013 - 16:15

NATURAL RESOURCES ARE THE BRIGHT PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT THESE NUISANCE, ANIMALS INTO OUR COUNTRY.

• Steve
      February 06, 2013 - 18:50

First, it was an accidental kill, the same as thousands of family pets meet their fate annually. Though, i would have intentionally taken the animal had i been hunting in the woods. Second, I do not have the luxury of waiting home until the weather clears. its a necessity for me to drive in poor weather so the remainder of the local motoring public are able to drive a little safer. Maybe I'll stay home and see what reaction I get then. Lastly, had It been a stalled vehicle in front of me it would have warranted, without hesitation, steering my truck to the ditch & compromising my own safety. Coyotes are not commonly equipped with flashing hazard lights.