Comments

Comments

• maryland farmer
    August 27, 2013 - 18:03

this is wonderful but i was looking for something to help someone in the united states. to be precise the state of south carolina. any suggestions

• Robin Smith
    February 11, 2013 - 11:26

As pleased as can be for Dave, I found out personally that John Howard had absolutely nothing to offer me in regards to starting over after prison. I am blessed not to suffer any addictions so all I needed was work, work of any kind. I had enough money to survive a couple of months on the street so work was imperative. Daily visits to the John Howard Society in Kingston {Penitentiary Capital} netted me zero results. My crimes were of the fraud nature and yet no one was willing to hire. Kelly Services were my savior from homelessness and self respect, not John Howard. The sad part in my case was that my Grandfather, Christian Smith was a original supporter and facilitator of John Howard in Saskatoon while working as the City Editor of the Star Phoenix back in the 1940's.

• Cheryl Dodge
      February 13, 2013 - 20:48

Robin - John Howard Society does not profess to be all things to all people. What is important is that you were able to find the type of support within your community that was appropriate for you. Perhaps some gratitude towards your grandfather for being so community minded back in the 40's is called for. Continued good luck on your chosen career path.

• Victoria Y
    February 10, 2013 - 18:56

Lovely read! I am very fond of John Howard society and all the programming they offer Canadian offenders. Our criminal justice system is not in favor of second chances (in my opinion), it is the social workers, encouraging guards, and volunteer associations that are the support. Hopefully more business' and our government can see the value in these programs and the change they can help facilitate... Congratulations Dave! You deserve everything you have worked for.

• wavy
    February 09, 2013 - 11:58

Great article; very inspiring and, dare I say, shockingly relatable. One question and concern I have remains: why does someone have to fall all the way to the bottom before they get help they so desperately needed and could've used at an earlier stage to possibly prevent their fall? Why does someone have to hit rock bottom, reach the point of pure, exasperated desperation or find themselves in prison due to substance abuse or mental health issues before something like the John Howard society comes into their life? What's in place to help prevent someone from reaching that point? Why can't their be something to help prop them back up before they fall all the way? Who knows how many slide down a slippery slope, beyond the point of no return, and never get the break they needed to prevent them from ending up in prison or worse.

• Kim
    February 09, 2013 - 10:38

I have never commented on the stories I read but felt compelled after reading this article to reach out and say a great big...way to go Dave!! So many can't come back from hitting bottomas you have; I wish you well on your life's journey!

• angie
    February 09, 2013 - 07:52

Good Luck Dave U are making a step forward . Continue on the right path and everything should work out.