Comments

Comments

• Ryan
    February 18, 2013 - 23:15

As an educator I believe that we do indeed need better parenting before children come to kindergarten. I do not agree that children should suffer from "bad" parenting and that all children should have equal opportunities to learn. Early intervention is key in children's development especially when it comes to literacy ( A focus in Kindergarten). Research supports that children need early intervention when it comes to reading development, and in my opinion, a half day is not enough intervention in a lot of cases.

• Ryan
    February 18, 2013 - 23:12

• Leah
    February 13, 2013 - 07:38

Three and four year olds are too young to be at school for a full day. Years back when we lived in Toronto, my son started Junior Kindergarten, half days, at age three because he didn't turn four until December. I didn't agree with it. They need a little more time to connect with their parents, siblings, discover trust, feel secure in their own surroundings, etc., before being forced to attend school full days. One or two play-dates a week, and associating with other young children in their neighbourhood, is enough at this age. Like someone said, it's basically free babysitting at the "expense" of your child's emotional stability.

• Wendy
    February 12, 2013 - 18:13

FREE BABYSITTING.

• marg hancock
    February 12, 2013 - 17:40

as a retired educator I wonder what university education program did Cathy Bennett attend/graduate. This is just a ruse for working parents to have the tax-payer pay for THEIR child-care. What we need are good parents and good parenting. Children suffer separation anxiety, attention deficits and the lists goes on ----not to mention violent behaviour and illnesses of all kinds Stick to business and stay out of education

• steve
    February 12, 2013 - 17:19

This is great - I would be willing to pay more taxes to pay for this.

• The Irony of Only A High School Diploma
    February 12, 2013 - 16:24

Ms. Bennett does not include in her remarks the necessity to the the Teacher's Union onside with this pipe dream. If education is so important to Ms. Bennett, why didn't she undertake to get more of it?