Marine Atlantic releases new rates, schedule

Marine Atlantic has released its 2013-14 rates and schedule, including a four-per cent rate increase for travel, effective April 1.

There are no changes to the fuel surcharge or security fees.

“Marine Atlantic is working to become a modern and efficient corporation offering a high level of customer service,” said Don Barnes, vice-president of customer experience. “We continue to be impacted by rising costs of materials, supplies and labour. We have implemented efficiencies and are continuing to make further changes in the way we operate to minimize the increase in costs passed on to our customers.

Barnes said the new ferry schedule has been designed to match traffic demand with capacity throughout the year. "The summer schedule, which is the busiest period for us, provides customers with a range of sailing options,”  Barnes said.

The new rate structure will be updated for all travel, beginning April 1. Reservations are available up to and including March 31, 2014.

For more information, or to make an online reservation, visit www.marineatlantic.ca.

Organizations: Marine Atlantic

Comments

Comments

• Sean O 'Keefe
    April 27, 2014 - 18:06

I think your booking policies are absolutely UnreasonAble. I am tring to run a bus service and cannot make reservations without paying double. This is unacceptable.

• Robert Wall
    December 03, 2013 - 21:03

I would like to know the cost of the ferry from N. Sydney to Port Aux Basque with a truck/travel trailer combination length of 55'. Seems to be a secret?

• Patrick
    June 22, 2013 - 17:25

I am going to st. johns for 1 month study at memorial university and with all your comments, i don't know if i can afford it again.. i live in Montreal (Quebec) and would really appreciate if some one can help me by telling me the cheapest way to get there without spending too much... i don't have a car and the fly ticket is too expensive... from Montreal to Moncton is 178$ buy bus and after that dont know what to do because the is no bus going to st johns from moncton... could you tell me how much the ferry would cost please...

• Igol
      July 31, 2013 - 17:48

Check out the airfares with porter or westjet. You may find it cheaper to fly and save time. Fly direct to St John's. From Halifax to St John's it will cast $138, I thought Montreal to St John's was around $230.

• Igol
      July 31, 2013 - 18:05

Check Marine Atlantic's schedule Web site. all fees and departures etc are listed there and you can book online.

• jayne
    May 04, 2013 - 13:04

I have to agree with all these comments - shame on Marine Atlantic! First time home in 2 years and almost $1000.00 return just for the ferries! If it wasn't for a family wedding I wouldn't be using Marine Atlantic!

• Karen
      February 10, 2014 - 11:18

yes I have the same issue~`ferry is very very expensive! ITs cheaper for us to go south as a family than go to NL for a family wedding. Does not encourage Newfoundlanders to return home for sure!

• cal Brake
    April 30, 2013 - 17:48

is this not suppose to be part of the trans Canada hi way linking the island to the rest of Canada Come on Labador Hiway get finished so I don't have to do that depressing crossing again

• winston colbourne
    April 26, 2013 - 19:13

canadas agreement with newfoundland was to maintain a reasonable rate for ferry service to the rest of the country. with the easy going newfoundlanders they now think they can do what they want. and we let it happen.

• winston colbourne
    April 26, 2013 - 10:51

• Disgusted
    April 18, 2013 - 18:59

I don't understand why every year the rates increase on the ferry across the gulf. Do the powers that be know that this is part of Newfoundland's Trand canada Highway? It's one thing to pay sonething for services and another thing to pay for someone to get out rages pay increases. We cannot even depend one the ferrry. The boats you have are not suited for the gulf. They are too top heavy and who said we need a cruise shop to get from point A to point B. All we ask for for is a clean and comfortable ship with a comfortable place to sleep at night. Yes, cabins are great but who cares as long as we get a good night's sleep in a clean bed as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.

• L. Murray
    April 09, 2013 - 18:41

I am planning a trip from the states for June, but with the above comments I am concerned that I am making a mistake. My goal is to drive to Labrador. Is there any positive encouragement?

• Igol
      July 31, 2013 - 18:02

You could go to New Brunswick, and cross over to Bay Como(?) across the St Lawrence, and drive up to Churchill Falls then to Lad city etc. Review the map you see it. Most people talking are talking about the North sydney to Argentia (and even that's a little high) closer to St John's. If you are going to Labrador, you will cross at North Sydney to Port Aux Basques, and go to Deer lake and turn up the Northern Pen through Gros Morne National Park, a must see, one of the 7 wonders of the world. The coat across on this route is a little over $500 which includes vehicle, room, 2 adults. You can check on the Marine Atlantic web site to all facts and fees. Hope this helps.

• Derek
    February 19, 2013 - 17:31

I was born and raised in Port aux Basques and now live in Cape Breton so I've witnessed the operations of Marine Atlantic at the two busiest terminals. All I can say from reading the above comments is that it makes me feel ashamed to be a Newfoundlander when so many others make comments about things they know nothing about. Cancelled due to weather is my favourite. I suppose you guys get mad at the schoolboards when they have a snow day (or should we send our kids out anyway?). And docking in Corner Brook?? What? Where in the hell are the ferries supposed to dock and unload in Corner Brook. Anyway, before I get myself to upset with the Province that I love, I suggest that people do a little research before they say something stupid.

• david
    February 13, 2013 - 18:27

Marine Atlantic is an unaccountable, extortionist, out-of-control monopoly. It provides a necessary, basic service to this province, yet it is woefully unreliable, incompetently run, and egregiously over-priced. There are few more important, pressing issues facing Newfoundland than this, in that it is so fundamental to a feasible existence on this island.

• ExNewf
    February 13, 2013 - 14:45

Glad I pulled up stakes and headed to Alberta. Worry free vacation this summer that doesn't include the ordeal of being held hostage by Marine Atlantic. I won't miss those boats and their "don't give a sh** crew".

• Robert
    February 13, 2013 - 14:02

If the government don't soon do something about these ridicolus rates there won't be any tourists comming to Nl. because they wont be able to afford to .

• Eileen Elms
    February 13, 2013 - 13:57

Never mind the tourists!! What about us who live on the island? The costs are really to high. We are not able to visit another province without a thousand dollars just to get there.

• Jack
    February 13, 2013 - 13:16

With Marine Atlantic increasing rates, but cutting ferry crossings, Newfoundlanders and Labradorians should be concerned about Marine Atlantic's monopoly like attitude in providing a poor quality service at high prices. Time for the Newfoundland and Labrador Government to take over the ferry services to North Sydney so that we won't have to put up with Marine Atlantic's abuses once and for all. Besides, when we pay more, aren't we supposed to get better service?

• gb
    February 13, 2013 - 13:13

$900.00 for my wife and I to drive off the island to NS and return..OMG!! The tourism industry must be booming here in the summer...no one can afford to leave!

• Duffy
    February 13, 2013 - 12:55

Am I allowed to say "Bend Over" ?

• roy
    February 13, 2013 - 11:53

With their new improved ferry service, what a joke, how many crossings have been canceled this year because of weather. I know they can.t control the weather but could any of these crossings been diverted to Argentia or Cornerbrook. I have travelled on these new boats and they are nice but are they suited for the gulf crossing. How many thousands or millions of dollars of perishable goods have been lost because of cancelations and is this cost being passed on to consumers. The cost is to high now, this is our TCH. High level of customer service "my .....s"

• Inmyview
    February 13, 2013 - 11:33

Mr. Barnes is quoted as saying that,"Marine Atlantic is working to become a modern and efficient corporation offering a high level of customer service." You might start by improving the web site. Do you have any idea how hard it is to actually FIND the schedule for June or July? Marine Atlantic actually makes it harder,not easier to arrange MY travel schedule to and from Argentia. We travel every summer and the web site has actually gotten worse, not better.

• Cold Future
    February 13, 2013 - 11:28

4% rate increase when the inflation rate for 2012 was 1.5 %. Good deal for the profiteers. Most appropriate date of effect, April Fools day when Newfoundland and Canada amalgamated.

• gerry
    February 13, 2013 - 10:24

fuel 'surcahrge' & 'security' fees = BS....