Dog owner fined and given probation

Rosie
Rosie Gillingham

Small dog attacked by pit bull had to be euthanized

Jason English is shown with a Sherriff's officer in provincial court. — Telegram file photo

Jason English, a St. John's man whose pit bull maimed and caused the death of a smaller dog in 2011, has been fined $200, ordered to pay $206 for a vet bill and given one-year probation, in provincial court today.

Judge Colin Flynn also said Thursday the pit bulled will not be destroyed, since canine expert Ken Reid testified that the dog's behaviour can be modified.

Part of the sentence includes an order that English's dog be enrolled in dog behaviour modification training.

Flynn also said, since the incident, English has changed the mechanism in which the dog is penned and has ensured the dog's behaviour is properly assessed.

This was English's third conviction for failing to properly tether or pen his dog.

The 2011 incident occurred Oct. 6 outside Georgetown Pub when the pit bull attacked the smaller dog. The smaller dog suffered severe injuries and had to be euthanized.

Several witness took the stand during the trial describing a horrible incident.

English admitted it was his dog that attacked the smaller dog, but said the rope and latch securing the gate had been removed, allowing his dog to get free.

Flynn said English did not do enough to safely secure his dog, and that it was only after the incident that he installed a chain and a bolt lock on the gate.

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• john stanley
    August 14, 2013 - 13:12

I have personally owned both Pitt bulls and Rottweilers, and have not had a single incident with either breed. I know the owner of these dogs personally and he and not the dog is responsible for the bad behavior. These dogs when properly trained are without a doubt awesome and trustworthy pets. These dogs were raised in a terrible environment by someone that encouraged their bad behavior. Destroying the dog would be an ignorant solution!! The judge in this case did an excellent job, however for the benefit of the animal the dogs should have been seized and put up for adoption.

• Elle
    February 22, 2013 - 08:22

I totally agree with Sheri. I would never go anywhere near a pit bull. I especially would never take a child near one. They are beasts. Too many people including children have been killed by these animals. This breed should be banned. I guess when it's too late and a person actually gets killed by this dog it may be put down. I do not feel this way about all breeds of dogs. But let me tell you this....there is no reasoning with most of these animal lovers. So I say to them, "go ahead and bash me all you want!"! This judge should be fired for putting the public at risk.

• Chantel
      June 26, 2013 - 14:26

ELLE, you shouldn't comment if you have no idea what you are talking about. I am appalled at the stereotypical ignorance of some people and how they always buy into this media frenzy surrounding the breed. I have 2 pitbulls and a small mixed dog all raised with my 3 year old son. I am very very far from an incompetent, irresponsible parent. Pitbulls are very docile & the most sweet beings I have ever encountered. My 70 year old mother in law thought they were labs and always commented on how good they were with my lil fellow, until we told her a year later what they were. P.S. This Judge is EDUCATED on this matter, maybe you should do the same. I invite you to come meet a pitbull and I KNOW your opinion would change.

• Denise
    February 22, 2013 - 06:32

You can train the dog but can you train the dog owner? Third Conviction! Wow! So what are we waiting for...more mauled dogs...no wait maybe a person next time. This sentence sends a bad message to an already arrogant person who thinks he's untouchable. If I screw up can I have Judge Flynn too, please please!

• friendofpitbull
    February 22, 2013 - 06:19

I personally know English's pit bull, and believe it or not he is a very sweet and loveable dog. Whether its a dog, person or even a bird for argument sake, if they are not trained properly and shown right from wrong anything or anyone can be aggressive. People really need to stop being so negative toward this dog and stop demanding that he be put down. He deserves the chance to be trained properly, both the dog and English! I really believe that with the help of trainer Ken Reid, there's hope for this beautiful dog, its not his fault that he was never shown right from wrong. I love pit bulls, my uncle had one when i was growing up, and we could do what we pleased to him, all of us kids would pull his tail, ears, sit on him, you could even hit him, and all he would do was look at you with such a sad face, as if to say, why are you doing this to me i never did anything bad. It has nothing to do with the breed of dog, its all about the owner and how they are trained. So please stop all this negativity towards this particular pit bull and all other pit bulls.

• stephanie
    February 21, 2013 - 16:39

ken reid is an amazing dog trainer, he helped me out a lot when I thought I was going to have to get rid of my dog. but most of you are right, the owner in this situation needs to have that dog taken away and he shouldn't be allowed to have anymore animals. this is his 3rd time being charged and fined and it really shouldn't be allowed. hopefully with kens help both owner and dog will have a happy healthy life without anymore issues.

• Frank
    February 21, 2013 - 12:58

If I had walked in and saw you and your son I may have left.

• Marg
    February 21, 2013 - 11:51

It is the Owner's fault that this dog is misbehaving and acting the way he has been, and will continue to do so. If you cannot give them the time, attention, love, and training that they need, you should not own a pet. I, also, agree that it is only a matter of time and a child or person will be the victim of this dog.

• Lily
    February 21, 2013 - 11:46

You are automatically assuming that all pitbulls are dangerous. Educate yourself. I've seen so many small mix breeds that would eat you if they got near (growling, showing teeth) but people say, oh, he's cute.The dog handler has a responsibility to either train the dog right, or if the dog is actually one that can't be rehabilitated easily, then the dog must be kept under control at all times. First rule in owning a dog, know what you're doing. All dogs have the ability to harm humans and other animals...a dog IS AN AMIMAL.

• PITTBULLOWNER
    February 21, 2013 - 11:41

I can't wait to go home from work and give my VICIOUS pitbull some kisses. You nay-sayers are complete morons. Get a life.

• david
    February 21, 2013 - 11:34

" If you combine all the dog bites, fatal dog bites that is, Rottweiler and Pit Bull will cumulatively account for 60 percent of those." http://uptenlist.com/animals/top-ten-most-dangerous-dog-breeds/2/ (#1 - PIt Bull ; #2 - Rottweiler....)

• JohnnyRottweilerOwner
      February 21, 2013 - 14:30

wow, what a scientifically based website, guess what, if i create a website and label it top 10 morons in the world, and the list is solely your name, i guess its true!

• Jason
      February 21, 2013 - 14:55

This is the most compelling evidence you could find for your argument? Pathetic

• Concerned
    February 21, 2013 - 11:27

To Ken Reid...You can modify the dog's behavior but that does not modify the owner's behavior. This guy lived next door to my father. He is not a responsible pet owner and unfortunately this will probably result in a similar type situation some time down the road. I think the dog should have been taken from this owner and placed with a new owner.

• dog owner
    February 21, 2013 - 11:24

Ok this is Jason English's 3rd, count it 3rd charge in regards to his dog. Jason English seems to have a friend in the court system because if this was a regular Joe Public our dog would be gone, our fine would be higher and there would be a much bigger public outcry. Just another day in this male's life I suppose. It seems that Mr. English doesn't care how his dog behaves. A slight spanking from the courts and off he goes.

• Sheri
    February 21, 2013 - 10:51

I walked into a pet store a while back with my Son, a customer was there with his Pittbull-shopping for supplies...I took my son and left!! I wouldn't walk into a bank with a known robber there...so why stay in an enclosed store with these savage dogs being allowed in...they lost my business..good thing I didn't bring my 3 lb pup!!

• Wow..
      February 21, 2013 - 11:26

Sheri, It's really to bad that you feel that way. However, the store is probably better off without your business. And anyone that shares your thoughts. Your 3lb pup could hurt a child just as much as a pit bull.

• Ryan
      February 21, 2013 - 11:33

Sheri your comment is very ignorant; that's like me saying I left a store because there was a black person in there. Don't be prejudice against breeds or races of people. Every individual should be judged on their own merits; people and animals.

• Kristie
      February 22, 2013 - 17:04

Woww.. it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and uneducated some people can be. A lot of people don't realize, but "Pit Bulls" are often chosen first as therapy dogs for children as well as the elderly because of their love and devotion to humans. Think about their history; if people used them for dog fighting and had to be able to step in the pit at any time and be able to control the dogs, they wouldn't have bred dogs who were turning on their owners or any other person. Now people may take that comment and run with it and assume that I am saying they are bad with dogs, but that is not the case at all! I see far more labs, huskies, and goldens just to name a few come in to my work and be dog/people aggressive then pit bulls, actually come to think of it I haven't seen one pit bull come in that had any issues with people or dogs, their always just happy to be getting all the attention and wiggle their way up to give you a big ol kiss! They are generally sweet, loving companions that aim to please, and sadly they fall into the wrong hands of people who abuse their devotion and train them to be "big bad guard dogs" and make them the way they are which gives them the bad wrap. I am glad you left whatever pet store you were at as they certainly don't need your business, and i'm sure they'd gladly serve an owner with a bully before a judgemental person with their 3lb dog. The funny thing is a lot of people will see a boxer or a mastiff and walk the other way thinking it is a "savage pit bull". I'm sure many people here saying pit bulls are bad has never even met one, and if you did met one who was raised by a responsible owner your opinion would surely change!

• Doglover
    February 21, 2013 - 10:31

Clearly none of you know anything about animals. Guess what...animals don't speak english. They are not born knowing right from wrong. The owner has to teach and train the dog. Clearly Jason English also doesn;t know a thing about how to raise and train dogs either. Can't believe people can be so closed minded. None of you obviously have ever met a pit bull...or know anything about them. Did you know that pit bull isn't even a breed? its a generic term used to describe 3 different breeds. But because the media doesn't have a clue how to identify breeds they just use pit bull when there is a dog attack just to get ratings. 90% of all pit bull attacks reported..weren't even pit bulls! These dogs were not originally bred to be dog fighters. They were originally used to work on the farms with the farmers helping out in any way. They were all round work dogs and also used to protect the children. Its funny how they actually got chosen to be trained for dog fighting to make money for skeets. Because they were one of the only breeds of dogs that wouldn't turn on its handler while in the pit. Yep they are their own worst enemy. They love people so much that if they will do anything we ask them to do, just to make us happy. Its kinda sad actually. All they want is to make their owners happy. They make horrible guard dogs as they are very good with people. They actually scored the same as Golden Retrievers on the American Temperament Testing. If you did any amount of actual research on these dogs and actually met them you would quickly realize how amazing they are. Any dog can be made aggressive...its the beast at the other end of the leash..the person. Also all dogs can fight. They can talk to each other and work things out...they are animals. Any breed can made vicious. Its not the breed....stop judging the breed when the breed of dog has nothing to do with it. I work at a vet clinic so I see dog attacks on people and other animals every day. Mostly what we see is labs and small dogs who bite. In the 6 years I have worked at a vet clinic I have never seen a pit bull come in act aggressive at all. I have worked with every breed of dog and I can honestly say they are the best which is why I decided I would adopt one..and now I have two and one of them is actually a Therapy dog. We go and visit seniors in the senior homes and will also be visiting the janeway and making kids smile and laugh. Because thats what pit bulls do best put smiles on peoples faces because they are so happy to meet anyone. They do not judge people, they will lick anyones face. Thats why I love dogs..they don;t judge us..they love people no matter what they look like. Enough with the canine racism, Its so silly! Not all labs are friendly and not all chihuahuas are biters...get over it!

• Annoyed
      February 21, 2013 - 11:39

And for everyone else reading my child has squeezed and hugged these dogs on several occasions and you know what happened.... my son ended up with something that some of you still have no clue about, a non-judging attitude about the way an animal looks. Funny, if someone judges a person based on physical characteristics there's a name for that. Why is it okay to do that to dogs?

• A thought
    February 21, 2013 - 10:11

Don't blame the dog blame the owner? I think that's roughly what the NRA says about guns and gun owners. People can be irresponsible, that's why they shouldn't have things like that.

• Loki
      February 21, 2013 - 12:04

The difference between dogs and guns is a gun is a weapon. It is designed to inflict injury/kill. A dog is not designed to maim/kill. A dog is a living being that needs to be loved and cared for. A gun is an item, a thing.

• M Alexander
    February 21, 2013 - 10:11

i am an avid dog lover, i have 4 dogs 3 are smaller breed dogs my smallest is 11 pounds my youngest is a rotti who is about 70 pounds right now the smallest dog keeps her in line. it is totally how you raise your pup. any dog has the potential to be a good dog or bad it totally depends on the owner. the best thing that could happen to that poor pit bull is he be taken from that home. But that won't end it this guy would turn around and get another one.

• david
    February 21, 2013 - 09:29

1. Pit bulls, 2. Rottweilers These 2 breeds are recognized worldwide and without qualification as the most dangerous breeds. No unique "owner" issues, no special "environment" excuses... These dogs should be outlawed, or their owners required to put up significant funds in advance to cover costs to the public. Hey, if you want to compromise public safety for your own gratification, then you pay for it. You'll either eventually get all your money back, or you'll pay for your stupid seflishness. And if you got a problem with that policy, that says a lot more than your BS.

• Annoyed
      February 21, 2013 - 10:45

David, you are one of the most ignorant people I've ever had the chance to come across. Maybe you should actually have some education and knowledge before you run your mouth. In a recent 5 year span the CDC had reported that OVER 90% of fatal dog attacks were done by un-neutered males and over 75% of them were tethered for most of their lives. Given that the two breeds you mentioned were barely recognizable on this list, a reasonable person would assume the fault lies in LACK OF EDUCATION of spay/neuter and responsible pet ownership. Nothing to do with the breeds. Would you like to know what breed is actually linked to the most reported bites, golden retrievers. Would you like to know why? Because they are one of the most common larger breeds in North America. Since you need things spelt out for you, a reasonable person would conclude that the most common dog equaling the most reported for dog attacks would mean that all breeds have an equal probability in biting, therefore it is NOT A BREED ISSUE but has other factors that contribute. And just for you to have a little bit of knowledge take a look at this article. This terrible breed saved a family. Get a clue. http://www.mstarz.com/articles/8486/20130215/pit-bull-saves-family-photo-10-year-old-dog-baby-saves-owners-house-fire-runs-back-rescues-5-more-dogs-she-my-hero.htm

• JohnnieRottweilerOwner
      February 21, 2013 - 10:49

David, I'm sorry my friend but you need to do some additional research. There is no study nor finding which states that those 2 breeds are "recognized worldwide and without qualification as the most dangerous breeds" I own a rottweiler, we had it in training, the trainers say the worst dogs the always see are Chihuahuas and any miniature breed. they attack more often than not. I can verify on the chihuahua aspect, our neighbours tries to attack my 2 children every time it comes near them....strangely our rottweiler has never even growled at our children. The 2 breeds you mention are getting a bad rap over the last decade due to irresponsible owners breeding them to be violent & raising them badly. These breeds are in actual fact family dogs, working dogs. Never meant for the rap they are getting. Pay funds in advance, I'd like to see that enforced on all the small dog breeds that everyone lets run wild in their neighborhoods because "sure that small dog wouldnt hurt nothing" foolishness. My dog has been attacked/charges numerous times by these little buggers, and the owners always yell then that my dog incited it. Nonsense

• david
      February 21, 2013 - 11:24

Mindless, anti-social, self-centered idiots. Exhibit A.

• david
      February 21, 2013 - 11:29

Google it. Check the results. All of them. Or don't, and just continue to remain completely and dangerously stupid.

• Uh-huh
      February 21, 2013 - 11:37

Clearly you have done your research. And by research I mean you typed it into google and picked the first thing you seen. Had you have searched a little deeper, you would have found that among these FEROCIOUS, DANGEROUS, WILD BEASTS (Pit bulls and rottweilers) the internet also lists Dalmatians, Boxers, Presa Canario, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinschers, Alaskan Malamutes, Huskies and German Shepherds as some of the "most dangerous" dog breeds. If you would like to dig a little deeper, you will also find a list of DECEPTIVELY dangerous dog breeds, such as: Dachshund (various studies have shown it to be more prone to violence against people and other animals than either Rottweilers or pit bulls) Jack Russell Terrier (have a tenacious temperament backed up by wicked little jaws, and they will never back down from a fight, regardless of the adversary.) Cocker Spaniels (Known for genetic rage syndrome. Spaniels with rage syndrome will lash out ferociously without any provocation. Moments later, they return their normal, placid selves seemingly with no recollection of the attack.) Bull Terrier (the Bull Terrier’s history is similar to that of the Pit Bull, used in bloody baiting sports. They were particularly effective in ratting games, being tossed into a hole swarming with rodents and dispatching dozens at a time.) Shar Pei (the Shar Pei’s loose skin has a gruesome purpose – it allowed the dog to twist and bite during dog fights, leaving it capable of retaliating even if an opponent got a good hold in. While their popularity as dog fighters has subsequently waned, the Shar Pei maintains its guarding instincts and a serious temperament.) Pekingese (They are not keen on strangers or children, and will take on other dogs) Beagle (its recent working heritage has instilled in it a sometimes unmanageable drive. This excitable, impetuous will makes the beagle very hard to train and may cause it to act out inappropriately, including biting. If it catches a tantalizing scent, the beagle will often become completely unresponsive to its master.) Chihuahua(these quivering balls of nerves are especially unsuitable for homes with children. They are known to bond intensely with their owners to the point of obsession, lashing out viciously at anyone else who approaches, including larger dogs.) I am sure you probably know at least one person who owns or has owned at least one of these dog breeds and has not had one issue with them. (You probably have had one of these breeds yourself) You could not be more wrong when you say there is no "Owner" issue. Of course there is an owner issue. Research everyone of these dogs and you will find that with the proper training, socialization and a good "master" they can all be fun, lovable pets. I don;t think anyone is compromising the public's safety by simply owning one of these dogs breeds, now training them to fight or being savage guard dogs, that is a different story. But that, goes back to it being an owner issue. I have known lots of people who owned Pit Bulls (and Rottweilers actually) and my experience with every one of them was with a positive loving dog. Then again, the people I knew who owned the dogs didn't BITE half of someones ear off either. In this case...a savage owner is most likely raising a savage dog!

• mala
    February 21, 2013 - 09:29

I agree with Bonzo. The menace should be put down. English should be banned from owning dogs until he learns how to properly raise, train, and care for them. Don't blame the dog for the actions of the owner.

• Lilly
    February 21, 2013 - 09:20

don't blame the dog. blame the owner.. dogs only know what they're taught... I've owned a pit for years and year and have never harmed a fly. in fact he's the biggest sook I know! ANY dog has the ability to harm another if they are raised to know nothing but abuse and fighting.

• Bonzo
    February 21, 2013 - 09:14

It is only a matter of time before we see this idiot's dog back in the news again, but this time involving a child. This mennace (the dog) should be put down.