Comments

Comments

• Ray
    March 07, 2013 - 08:22

this program was not only for those on social assistance, it was for the working poor with families. I wish people get their facts straight. I work, my wife work and we have 4 children and this program would have helped us as we did have appointments made, now they have to be cancelled as we cannot afford it. The NL Gov' t should be ashamed of themselves.

• omg
    March 06, 2013 - 13:27

I agree with Ginger, why should someone who has no desire to work (and most know how to play the system) get free dental while the working poor get nothing and are the ones who pay taxes, the same taxes that pay for those on welfare to sit at home all day long, kids in fully paid for daycare and do nothing, no worries cause they know there is a check coming again soon. The program should be cut back even further in my view... example if someone who is getting assistance can have 3-4 huge flat screen tvs on there walls, there kids wearing the top name brands, all kinds of gaming systems, vehicles sitting in there driveways.... then why cant they pay to see a dentist?????/ The system is screwed up time for a change... Personally I think anyone who is on assistance and should be investigated before they get anything

• Anthony Patey
      March 07, 2013 - 08:38

The Adult Dental was not aimed at the Income support people but the low income or working poor and seniors. Income support always had dental care offered and still do as far as i know. When we went to Government to recommend a program it was for those who were falling through the cracks. People who work hard every day but just don't have the means to do things such as visit the dentist. When you have to make a decision about food or a dental visit for yourself or your child the visit is put off.

• Truth
    March 06, 2013 - 13:22

Ginger, I couldn't have said it better. Isn't that the truth. Welfare is set-up so good here in Newfoundland that high school students are choosing it for their "post secondary". To some it's a "birth" right.

• Ryan
    March 06, 2013 - 07:09

Wow.. $150 cap... So someone on low income can now only probably get a checkup, and a filling.

• Ginger
    March 06, 2013 - 06:55

Isn't the system screwed up here? I work full time in retail, they offer no benefits, and unfortunatly, I can not afford insurance right now....the best sets of teeth I've seen around are those who sit on their fannys all day soaking the system.....what an incentive this is to stay at home and do the same!!!!

• So many cuts...
      March 06, 2013 - 10:20

I think its awful that these programs are being cut. There are so many working people on a low income and seniors who I know use the drug and dental plan. Ginger, there are definitely some people who are "soaking the system" no doubt about it but many of the people affected by this are seniors who have worked hard their whole lives and are now struggling to survive on a fixed income. If you are a parent of a family that makes less than 42000 a year you too qualify for the access plan through NLPDP. Look it up it could benefit you as well as those "sitting on their fannys".

• bjflynn
    March 06, 2013 - 06:46

as a retired federal civil servant who is paying top dollar for a dental plan and maintaining a home for 40 years ,no grants or freebees have been received by us in any manner,shape or form from any level of government,particularly the provincial government, as a result we are waiting in a lineup with our meger hard earned dollars in our hot little hands for dental service ,because we are not street wise enough to work the system. disallusioned tax payer