Sheilagh O'Leary to run for mayor in St. John's

St. John's City Coun. Sheilagh O'Leary announced this morning she will run for the city’s top job of mayor in the municipal election this fall.

O’Leary, a councillor-at-large made the announcement in front of approximately 70 supporters at City Hall in St. John’s.

With members of her family standing behind her, O'Leary said she wants to be the next mayor to contribute more for her family, the community, and the capital city as a whole.

She said her campaign in 2009 struck a chord with voters.

O'Leary said council can do more for its citizens.

"We all know we have a great city," she said.

But she added it can be more dynamic and said she is not afraid to ask questions. She said council needs to seek new ideas and listen to residents.

If elected, O'Leary said she will reach out to residents.

She also plans to build relationships with the business community to make St. John's a business-friendly place.

For more on this story, read Thursday's full edition of The Telegram.

Organizations: St. John's City

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• ger
    March 14, 2013 - 06:25

Only 4 years on council and she wants to be Mayor?? She might be good, but she's not there long enough yet for people to really know what's she like. It seems lately that she is changing her mind more and more after she gives her opinion on some topic. I really think you should have waited or at least go for Deputy Mayor first. I thought you would have learned from Ron Ellsworth. This could have been his time had he not gotten power hungrey so quick.

• Mark
    March 13, 2013 - 18:21

Anyone but O'Keefe at this point. He was a terrible mayor! How could the city be booming, and still in debt? I know the city needed a lot of infrastructure upgrades, but it collected so much in building permits, property taxes, et cetera. He is also really soft on a lot of issues.

• Townie Bye
    March 13, 2013 - 16:40

Ron Ellsworth is THE man. Business smart and a hard worker. Please Ron give it another chance.

• hua mulan
    March 13, 2013 - 16:09

this announcement by her is monumental........................ she is an active, attractive woman running against the present mayor ; she probably has most of the female vote although our premiere won't be for her because of Mulclair's endorsement, but with the latter, probably has the 'left' vote here in town, which seems to be large................... I voted for doc the last time but I like Colleen this time.... running on keeping the streets clean and clear of snow and doggiedoo would be a start ........... I don't know if this election will have all the aspects of our nouveau system of voting, the commentaries coming form all sides raging against all sides, the poll padding, the robocalling, but these two people are good competition for each other.................good luck to both and to us.

• Max Roe
    March 13, 2013 - 14:57

Before marking my "X", I like to know each candidate's skills, abilities, and experience. If memory serves, Ms. O'Leary, early in her current term, proposed extra municipal enforcement officers to ticket those violating litter by-laws and more recently proposed a "tree tax". Her previous work experience I can only glean as being a photographer (landscape,nude,portrait.) and writer of children's books. I also understand she has been an activist for various causes. Based on this information, I can not in good conscience trust the running of a major City to Ms. O'Leary. I am not confident she understands the present fiscal realities as her past Council performance, and endorsement by the NDP, indicate a "Big Government", tax and spend mentality. Maybe in a few years Ms. O'Leary, but IMHO, you are not yet qualified for this position.

• Dee
    March 13, 2013 - 14:37

I agree with some voters O,keefe has to go as some of the councilors do,as for the fence yes it should go up but not on my taxes,O Leary I will give you a vote,she can,t be any worst then what we have,andyes two terms is all a Mayor should run,no one is as fake as the Mayor we have here in The City Of St John,s,he can certainly eat sausages and smile for the camera,s when he feels it's the right moment.Move over Doc your time is up.

• Edmund
    March 13, 2013 - 14:16

What a joke. Most others who have commented already expressed the same feeling and there are many many more who feel the same way. I I I O'Leary, as she is now known by her long winded "I did this and I did that and I attended this and I I I all the time, simply wants more time in her spotlight so she can feel important. Well, guess what, a lot of people, me included, have absolutely no use for her or her opinions on council and now we are getting rid of her by not even casting a vote. Just goes to show how foolish and self patronizing she really is. She has zero chance of becoming mayor, not now or in 100 years.

• Reen
    March 13, 2013 - 13:53

Not on my watch...no vote from me !

• sherry
    March 13, 2013 - 13:14

I won't be voting for her.

• kc
    March 13, 2013 - 12:49

The mayor position should be two terms maximum! Looking for a third term is pure greed and O'Keefe should find something else to do in his retirement. He has made some terrible decisions and the latest one is the cost sharing of that stupid fence on the waterfront. People are walking around this city with no sidewalks cleared and we can afford to give money away to federal projects. Danny Breen is out too! Can't wait for him to knock on my door looking for a vote. Sheilagh will be refreshing in office and we need a change.

• Pearl Man
    March 13, 2013 - 12:30

So glad I live in Mount Pearl. Good luck if she get's in... new taxes to pay for trees; votes on topics she admits she never fully understood. She'll be a fine mayor.

• Eli
      March 13, 2013 - 13:37

I totally agree with Pearl Man. She's for what's expedient for her. I won't be voting.

• NL TURF
    March 13, 2013 - 12:28

Didn't Ray O'Neil run for mayor in 1981, bragging about how many votes he got in the previous election?? He then proceeded to get steamrolled!! Where is her experience ?? Oh myyy , as of right now I'm not voting for anyone for the mayor's job!! What a time for the right person to throw their hat into the ring. They would be a sure winner!!

• Jane
    March 13, 2013 - 12:12

Sheilagh is good people and she definitely has my vote. It sounds like she has a lot of hard work to do to prove to even the few of you who've commented so far but she is a strong & capable woman and I know she can deliver! Please open your minds for all our sakes! O'Leary for Mayor!

• G
    March 13, 2013 - 11:34

Sheilagh is one of the best listeners and hardest working community leaders I’ve ever met. She would be a great new face, voice, and ambassador for the city.

• Mindy
    March 13, 2013 - 11:31

Sorry no votes here from our household..

• uhoh
    March 13, 2013 - 11:26

Well if she gets elected I hope everyone enjoyed the St. John's of the 1950s because we'll be re-living it for 4 years. I hope someday to be able to move back to St. John's once the economy diversifies a little, something I doubt is on O'Leary's mind. She'll probably spend the next four years crying over that stupid harbour fence.

• Ed
    March 13, 2013 - 11:24

Oh no, that's all we need. She won't be any better than Doc. Wiat a minute, maybe this is not a bad thing, now we just need to get a good candidate to run and win, then we will be rid of both of them. I think it's time to clear out about three quarters of the people on city council. These people have no concept off spending restraint, given the way taxes have been going up, they have totally lost control of the budget.

• JUST SAYING
    March 13, 2013 - 11:15

She will NEVER get my vote. But then, neither with O'Keefe. Please will someone with some sense step up to the plate and making voting for Mayor worthwhile.

• Len
    March 13, 2013 - 11:15

Voted for her last time to see a new face, sorry for it not a year in. Now she wants the top job with no experience. Remember what Ellsworth done Bye-Bye O'leary.

• Ben
    March 13, 2013 - 11:00

Anyone remember Paul Sears !!!!

• Biker
    March 13, 2013 - 10:50

Well we know she wont get any votes from the biker community!!

• Another Biker
      March 13, 2013 - 11:49

Really? That is your #1 issue? Some bikers are mature enough and have more respect for other people than to blast around town with their "look-at-me" pipes. Those who do are too stunned and self-absorbed to vote anyway. Go Sheliagh!

• PHILLY
    March 13, 2013 - 10:47

Got my vote! by by Doc

• Mike
    March 13, 2013 - 10:46

I hope for her sake that those 70 supporters are all eligible voters!