Crosbie passes the torch to Fagan as the new lieutenant governor

Frank Fagan took the Oath of Office as Lieutenant Governor of the province and was formally installed in the office during a ceremony in the House of Assembly in St. John's this morning. — Telegram photo

John C. Crosbie this morning relinquished his responsibilities as lieutenant governor of Newfoundland and Labrador during a ceremony at the House of Assembly at Confederation Building in St. John’s.

At the same ceremony, Frank Fagan took the Oath of Office as Lieutenant Governor and was formally installed in the office.

At 4:30 p.m., Lt.-Gov. Frank Fagan and Patricia Fagan will host a reception at Government House for invited guests to mark the occasion his installation as the 13th lieutenant governor of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Organizations: Confederation Building, Government House

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Earl Saunders
    March 20, 2013 - 11:01

Mr. Fagan is the first Lieutenant Governor to be selected under the new process for the filling of vice-regal offices announced by the Government of Canada back in November 2012. Under that process a committee was established to identify candidates to be recommended to the Prime Minister. I understand that a former regional manager for Bell Aliant ( now retired ) was a member of the selection committee which recommended Mr. Fagan for his new role . And of course we all know Mr. Fagan's connection to Bell Aliant . Am I being too suspicious ????

• TFR
    March 19, 2013 - 23:18

What a waste. Fagan talked about helping people. Help us by giving up the position and salary. I am sure he can live on his pension. Reception for invited guests? Disgusting, but it would be interesting to see who was invited.

• debbie hanrahan
    March 19, 2013 - 21:26

well iam very proud of you mr. fagan and wish you all the best ,you dont know me .but iam some one that you would be shock to know lol.and i wish i could me you one day and talk ..all the best to you and your framly .

• Sand
    March 19, 2013 - 19:59

Good luck to the Fagan family.

• Mary
    March 19, 2013 - 15:24

Frank Fagan is a very nice man.

• JC
    March 19, 2013 - 14:05

Ummmm..I'm almost full; .if I could just get one more plum political patronage appointment out of it, I'd say I've had my share of taxpayers' funds.

• Slobbering Freeloader
    March 19, 2013 - 13:23

Huff, puff, waddle, snort, belch, moan, groan....making my way to the trough.

• Edgar Goodaire
    March 19, 2013 - 12:54

Mr. Crosbie (and his wife) served the province well and with distinction in the important office of Lieutenant Governor, as he has in so many other capacities as well. I wish Mr. Fagan an equally happy and uplifting term too.

• Bob
    March 19, 2013 - 11:42

...and we are supposed to be living in a democracy - governance for the people and by the people. The people didn't elect Fagan and I am sure the vast majority of use don't want our tax money squandered wasted on such useless receptions and all the other trappings related to the Lieutenant Governor's Office. Have these people no shame -particularly in a time of deficit when government is cutting back on social programs for the rest of us.

• david
    March 19, 2013 - 11:17

Not a torch.....Muckle John II passed the jester's staff, made of peasant's gold.

• Edmund
      March 19, 2013 - 15:31

Right on David, and the jester he passed it to is the biggest jester that this province has ever had. To give him such a position on the backs of the taxpayers is nothing short of shameful.

• PHILLY
    March 19, 2013 - 10:40

More money wasted.

• gerry
    March 19, 2013 - 10:39

really can't figure much responsibilities for a job as (provinicial or federal) lieutenant governor except for a great 'paycheck' & perks....is there a sarcasm emote here bty?

• Rich get Richer
    March 19, 2013 - 10:09

Is the reception open to the public that funds the LG's salary, the House and food and wine? Just friends and senior bureaucrats. The rich getting richer on our dime.