Politicians react to budget with a ho-hum

James
James McLeod
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Cuts to DFO concern MP Ryan Cleary

Finance Minister Jerome Kennedy speaks to media following the federal budget Thursday. — Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

Finance Minister Jerome Kennedy didn’t actually shrug when he showed up to talk to reporters about the federal budget, but he might as well have.

There wasn’t a lot in Ottawa’s spending plan that affects the province and nothing for Kennedy to get worked up about.

“It’s not an exciting budget, but it’s not one that has any great surprises for us either,” Kennedy said.

As politicians parsed the federal budget, the consensus was ho-hum.

Liberal Leader Dwight Ball said it will take some time before we really know what it all will really mean, because there were very few details about what the government’s new plans are.

“We were sitting in the caucus room, and someone said it was like a hide-and-go-seek budget,” Ball said. “Obviously we’ll go looking for more details later on, and I think we’ve learned our lesson from last year when we saw the huge omnibus bill that came out of the budget.”

The centrepiece of federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s budget is a new plan for a “Canada Job Grant” which will combine money from Ottawa with equal contributions from provinces and private businesses to pay for retraining of workers.

The new initiative still needs to be negotiated with provincial governments and won’t come into effect until 2014, but it looks like a $5,000 contribution for training will need to be matched by $5,000 from the provincial government and $5,000 from the employer.

Kennedy said he’s happy to look at cost sharing such a program, but he said that’ll be more in Advanced Education and Skills Minister Joan Shea’s realm to negotiate.

“At this stage, there’s no decisions that have to be made, but I’m sure Minister Shea will provide you with information over the next few days,” Kennedy said. “We get so little money that anytime we can receive money with matching funds, we generally invest in that.”

Up in Ottawa, the province’s federal representatives were reacting to the budget, too. Opposition MPs were a bit more worked up than their provincial counterparts, but Liberal MP Gerry Byrne called it a “Seinfeld budget” meaning that it’s a budget about nothing.

“It’s definitely not an election year budget. There’s very little to see, very little to hide, very little to promote on behalf of the government,” he said. “There’s no additional money for health care. There’s no signaling that the health-care accords, which are set to expire, will be re-negotiated.

“There’s movement to sort of explore new options. For all practical purposes, health care does not exist in this new budget.”

New Democrat MP Ryan Cleary didn’t like what he saw either. The NDP doesn’t like reductions in infrastructure spending and a lack of money for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency.

Cleary was also particularly upset to see more cuts to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO).

“We don’t know what will happen, but there’s $108 million more in cuts to DFO,” he said. “They’re not specific on where the cuts are going to come to DFO, but the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans has already been cut to the bone. So they’re going to take away bone.”

Cleary also said that the budget has money for rail service to remote communities, but not cash for Marine Atlantic.

On top of that, he seized on a small change that may irk folks in St. John’s. The budget may force hospitals and municipalities to raise parking fees.

“This budget requires that GST/HST be paid on all parking — currently public sector bodies are exempt,” Cleary said. “This will make parking spaces or facilities operated by a municipality or a hospital taxable.”

jmcleod@thetelegram.com

Twitter: TelegramJames

Organizations: Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency.Cleary

Geographic location: Ottawa

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Christine
    March 22, 2013 - 10:48

    May the games, er, punishment begin!!

  • Mark
    March 22, 2013 - 10:31

    More crying from Newfoundlanders and Labradorians about how the federal government never gave them their fair shake. The reality is that Ottawa only has so much money to give out to NL, and if we already recieve a huge chunk via EI, well, then I guess NL will get less for roads, healthcare, and other public things. You want to blame someone? Don't shake your fist at Ottawa. Shake it at the guy down the street who has gone on EI year-over-year for the last 30 or so years.

  • Jack
    March 22, 2013 - 06:35

    After reading March 22, 2013 edition of "The Chronicle Herald", it seems that the Harper Government has snubbed Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, and I'll explain why. I learned that while Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador both have Canada's highest debt levels per capita, Nova Scotia is getting their Atlantic Accord renewed until 2020 whereas Newfoundland and Labrador is not. As a result of us getting snubbed from Ottawa in favour of Nova Scotia, we will pay the price for it with higher deficits and more cuts to our social programs. Extending the Atlantic Accord is ok as long as Newfoundlanders and Labradorians have this accord extended as well in order to show fairness. In light of this discrimination against us, Kathy Dunderdale, Jerome Kennedy, and Ottawa have failed us again.