UPDATED: The Eagles landing in Grand Falls-Windsor

Andrea Gunn

Other Salmon Festival acts include The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, and Johnny Reid

The speculation and rumours have come to an end, but the anticipation and excitement for the 2013 Toyota Salmon Festival Concert has just begun.

The Town of Grand Falls-Windsor held a press conference on Thursday morning to announce the lineup for the big event, which will take place on July 13 at Centennial Field. Headlining the concert are rock legends and multi-Grammy winners The Eagles. Supporting them on the big stage are Canadian superstars The Tragically Hip as well as Blue Rodeo, Johnny Reid, and the Matt Minglewood Band.

“Today it is my pleasure to announce what I consider to be the greatest show that Newfoundland and Labrador has ever experienced,” said Grand Falls-Windsor Mayor Al Hawkins at the press conference.

“Certainly we feel like this particular lineup will attract people not only in Newfoundland and Labrador but certainly from Atlantic Canada as well,” he said. “We figure (this is) a concert for all age groups.”

Hawkins added that he feels any of the acts could be headliners by themselves. Two of the acts, Blue Rodeo and the Tragically Hip, have actually been main acts of past Salmon Festivals.

This is the third year for promoter SRO’s involvement in the Salmon Festival, who have been credited with revitalizing the event. In the past two years they’ve brought huge names like Kiss, Aerosmith, Carly Rae Jepson, Flo Rida, and more to the town, and have seen huge increases in fan turnout. Last year over 20,000 fans packed into Centennial Field to take in the show.

“We’re expecting a great turnout, and we’re expecting probably more people to turn out to this event than any other event we’ve hosted in previous years,” Hawkins said.

The details

Tickets for the Salmon Festival Concert will go on sale Friday, April 26 and will be available to purchase by phone, online, and at Needs convenience stores across the province. A limited number of early bird tickets will be available for the price of $119.75 and after that tickets will cost $134.75.

There will also be a VIP section available with some minor changes from last year. This year, only concertgoers 19 and older will be permitted in the VIP section. VIP tickets are limited, and cost $221. All ticket prices are before taxes and surcharges. Booking information for campsites will come at a later date.

“We consider the price for this level of entertainment to be a bargain price really,” said Hawkins. “We believe we’ve done a great job in getting the level of entertainment we’re getting for the price.”

Hawkins said he expects the early bird and VIP tickets to sell fast, and suggested people get their tickets as soon as possible after they go on sale.

This year’s head sponsor for the festival is Toyota, which includes all the dealerships in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Other sponsors and partners include Bell Aliant, Subway, The Butler Group, Canadian Tire Thruway Recreation, and DRL Coachlines.

Donnini’s Pizza and Donairs will be providing concessions at the concert grounds, and like last year, there will be plenty of bartenders in the VIP section and beer garden to tend to the liquor and beer needs of concertgoers.

Hawkins said without the support of the business community in Grand Falls-Windsor and the rest of the province the Salmon Festival wouldn’t be possible.

Other events

Salmon Festival committee chair Councillor Bruce Moores also gave details about other events at this year’s festival during Thursday’s press conference.

Aside from the concert, the Town has put together a week of fun events for all ages. Following with tradition, the festival will kick off with the annual salmon dinner on Thursday, July 11. On Friday, July 12 there will be the stadium dance with live entertainment for people age 19 and over

“We’re still making plans trying to line up some great bands for (the stadium dance) as well,” said Moores.

The Monday following the Salmon Festival will be Grand Falls-Windsor Day on High Street, and Moores said there will be lots of great activities for families. Moores said more information on the other events will be available on the Town of Grand Falls-Windsor’s website at www.grandfallswindsor.com.

“Saturday, it’s true, The Eagles will be landing in Grand Falls-Windsor on July 13,” Moores said. “And we’re going to have some fine weather again this year.”

The website for the 2013 Salmon Festival is will go live tomorrow at www.salmonfestival.com and will include ticket information, ordering details, and more.

“I can hardly contain my excitement,” said Hawkins. “This is a day we’ve been long waiting for, this is a huge concert.”

Previous story:

The headlining act for the 2013 Salmon Festival concert is The Eagles! Other acts are: The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Johnny Reid, and the Matt Minglewood Band. Tickets on sale April 26! Check out www.gfwadvertiser.ca later today for more info.

Organizations: Tragically Hip

Comments

Comments

• Karen Riggs
    July 11, 2013 - 12:17

I don't care who is playing ,I am exited seeing old friends and classmates from back in the day.I don't care for the Eagles but they have been around a long time so that does say a lot for them.

• John
    April 29, 2013 - 17:25

Speaking as a 2 time attendee of the Salmon Fest and a member of the over 50 club I am very disappointed with the concert this year. Firstly, it's almost $250 for a VIP ticket and the camping has gone up to almost $125. I have really enjoyed my previous visits and I believe that part of the success has been the appeal to all ages approach. This year, the VIP tickets are for 19 years and older so that shuts out a huge audience. I love the Eagles and is one band I have never seen and sadly this will not change. It may have been different if the rest of the line-up was more diverse or the prices hadn't gone up almost 25%. Last year it was $4 for a bottle of water that could be bought in Grand Falls Dollerama for $0.25. If this is the way things will continue going, I may have been to my last Salmon Fest.

• david
      June 01, 2013 - 10:51

John: It isn't a holy day of obligation, it isn't a public service, and it isn't a charity event. Don't go. Or does there have to be a vote or a press conference for everything that goes on in Newfoundland? Is that it?

• John
    April 29, 2013 - 17:23

• winsor
    April 26, 2013 - 05:56

Lots of negative comments. I'll attend, but would rather have seen AC DC or Def Lepard. Don't think as many people will attend this year as last year.

• Hometown newf
    April 04, 2013 - 09:04

Me be hitting that joint.... I have to check my contacts and see if I can umm 'reserve' a couple tickets for me and my niece before the 26 th....

• Rob in Windsor
    April 03, 2013 - 06:30

The Eagles played Magnetic Hill in 2008 to over 45,000 fans. Sounds like a good choice to me, and I will use the Blue Puttees to get me there!!

• So happy
    April 01, 2013 - 14:36

Thrilled beyond words about the lineup for the Samon Fest! The Eagles have always been one of our favorite bands and decided last year that we would try and see them in 2013. How awesome to hear that we get to see them in NL! The other bands that also will be performing, is a bonus...great lineup. Sad that some ppl are criticizing the committee for this yrs band choices.... but hey, you can't please everyone and you do have the option of Not going! I have a feeling that this years festival will be another great success and the fan turnout will be higher than ever!! Great job GFW

• Monker
    March 30, 2013 - 19:17

first time I have heard about this festival and the line up has me checking connections to see if this be the year that I make a long awaited visit to your nect of the woods. PS, I live in northern Ontaio. awesome line up. I am worried about accomodations...any suggestions?

• Gary Hennessey
      April 01, 2013 - 21:50

Send me an email and I'll send you info on accommodations in Central. I work for the town of GFW. ghennessey@grandfallswindsor.com.

• Mark
    March 30, 2013 - 08:09

This is a great line up. I don't know what people are talking about. These bands have been around so long because they're great musicians. That's why in another 5 years from now members of Maroon 5 will be on Survivor, and The Apprentice. The Hip are one of the greatest Canadian bands ever ! They define what it means to be Canadian, they should play the Salmon Festival every single year. Nicki Minaj and all those pre-packaged, kiddie- music-makers can stay wherever it is they're at. Grand Falls Windsor will (hopefully) have a respectable, gangster-wannabe- free concert this year. Great Job SRO, Al, Bruce, and whoever else may have had a hand in this. See you in the front row, whilst shouting 'it'd be better for us if you don't understand ...'

• Backwards
    March 29, 2013 - 20:49

So let me get this right. Our town dollars go towards this event that is 3 days a year and we can't even use our town money for making the town actually better? (use the money to attract jobs, attract businesses, hotels , Bring Canadian Tire and Wal-mart into this century). At least these old bands will be on the same age as our Walmart and Canadian Tire. GFW council please talk with the council from Gander and learn how to develop a town and bring things people want and need on a year round basis!

• susan
    March 29, 2013 - 13:45

The Eagles are my 2nd fave band of all time. :o) have wanted to see them since 76. & the rest of the lineup is fine also. I am so happy they are coming to NL. PS: there's an awesome tribute show to the Eagles by the Quidi Vidi Dirt Band + the Paul Kinsman - (and I am so happy to have the opportunity to see the real thing).

• RAY
    March 29, 2013 - 11:49

FOR ALL US 40 SOMETHINGS,FINALLY AN ACT THAT WE CAN ATTEND AND TRUELY ENJOY AN ACT SUCH AS THE "EAGLES" IT CAN RETURN THE THE YOUNGER CROWD AGAIN NEXT YEAR.....AT LEAST WE HAD ONE TO TRULY ENOY THANK YOU.

• patrick
    March 29, 2013 - 09:59

awesome line up GWF .cant wait for July .13th.Eagles are awesome and surpass the essence of time. it will most likely be enjoyed by all generations. the hell with the naysayers,they would complain regardless of who was in the line . rock on baby.

• Chris
    March 29, 2013 - 07:14

The Hip. Blue Rodeo. This would have been the greatest concert ever when I was in High School and my undergrad. Also, since that would have been the early 90s, beer and gas would have been cheaper too. Does anyone listen to new music in Newfoundland anymore?

• Lexa
    March 28, 2013 - 19:03

I'm sitting here laughing. I live an hour and a half from GFW. I work for a company that offers lodging to tourists. Guess what? WE are getting bookings from people who are going to Salmon Fest and can't get anywhere closer to rent because local lodging is already booked up. Which leads me to believe that those who think this is the worst lineup ever really can't speak for everyone. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to work that weekend I would buy tickets. I'm not a member of the geriatric set, no walkers or bad hips here but I do enjoy the music of the performers who are in this lineup. I'm sorry it isn't to the taste of everyone, but some of the performers you would prefer to see aren't to my taste either.

• robert
    March 28, 2013 - 17:35

this line up is great you have some of the classic act,s from canada, that put canada on the map, as well to boot , the eagles ,,all you whiner,s out there need to take the dumb tit out of your mouth,and the diaper off your ass and put it on your head,s so you wont get burnt again,,rock on! rock on!

• John
    March 28, 2013 - 17:31

Listen people, The Eagles are among the top FIVE all time best selling groups in AMERICAN HISTOR!!!!! along with Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Led Zepplin and Garth Brooks. Way way ahead of AREOSmith and Kiss and everyone loved them. The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-75 is the ALL TIME BEST SELLING GREATEST HITS album ever Who cares whether your kids don't know them!!! INTRODUCE THEM to the Eagles on you tube and read the comments of 15 year olds who now LOVE!!!! the Eagles. Four years ago, they SOLD OUT!!!! Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon 15,000 seats for a total of 45,000 fans for three nights straight.. The ALL TIME record for the 25 year old of the ffacility on the edge of the city. Yes, the organizers better prepare because it could be a LONG WAIT for a beer this time. Four doubters go on you tube and search eagles

• Mike
    March 28, 2013 - 17:12

The worst in years. Guess I'll save the money I generally spend on the 4 tickets I buy for my family. Not to mention the money the restaurants, stores, & hotel make from my visit. I can't believe the mayor thinks this is the best line up in years. Maybe for the 60+ croud. Pathetic!!! Better hope it doesn't rain, walkers get stuck easily in mud!!

• other Gord
      March 28, 2013 - 21:45

Can't please everybody "Mike" & not everybody likes your stuff either. I live not far from the field & have many relatives that come in for all the festivals and don't complain. We all spend a lot of coin here too during those days. We appreciate the town's efforts and love the crowds but this year we'll supply tennis balls if necessary for the bottoms of those walker legs to help them while on the field, I have two walkers here if you change your mind.

• Ross Cole
      April 05, 2013 - 09:11

Hey Mike it's not all about you .The rest of us will have a great time.Rock on.

• cullen
      June 12, 2013 - 19:34

the worst in years wow...this guy does not know music at all..big bands comming to nfld....just remember kiss came here now this year they are going to st johns and have to do 2 shows b/c they are sold out. we would be happy not to have yo bud..gonna be a good time.

• Darren Brown
    March 28, 2013 - 16:10

Just wanted to invite all Tragically Hip fans to check out our community of other Hipheads over at www.facebook.com/hiptour There's lots of interaction, concert reviews, setlists and unique art. I create digital art based on the band's songs and albums as well as the setlists that they play. My name is Darren and I run the website, facebook page, twitter account I'd love to hear from you! Thanks.

• don
    March 28, 2013 - 15:30

Way to go Grand Falls-Windsor, you again showed the rest of the province how to do it. Great line up and can't wait to go. GFW didn't get voted the best town in NL for no reason! You are simply the best, better than all the rest. Anyone remember Klondike, Mt. Pearl, Gander attempts at hosting outdoor concerts........bunch of clowns trying to imitate GFW.

• Hippie
    March 28, 2013 - 15:08

Wake up all you nay sayers. The Eagles are rock royalty. They are in the. Rock n roll hall of fame for God sakes. Classic rock artists, more one off hits then most current bands . There is only a hand full of classical rock bands left performing in the world, you,d be lucky to see this band in NFLD even at this late stage of their performing. Lives. I have already seen this band and I can tell you that you are truly in for one awesum performance. The eagles have landed!!!. Thanks Grand falls you have done it again.

• ROB
    March 28, 2013 - 15:04

Let's see....30 plusyear olds going to a concert verus 19 and 20 year olds....less puking, no dumbass fighting with each other because they can't handle booze....which group has a few more bucks to spend in the town...seriously....wise decision Town of GFW....FANTASTIC LINEUP PLACE WILL BE FULL.....CAN'T WAIT TO GO....I will wear my pants down the back of my ass to make the young crowd feel at home....lol...

• ROB
    March 28, 2013 - 14:56

• Michael
    March 28, 2013 - 14:51

Has anyone ever thought that maybe they are trying to attract an older crowd, and change the view people currently have on this event. The people who would be interested in seeing these bands have the money to spend, unlike most of the younger crowd that usually attends, who only have a limited amout of money that they bummed off their parents. I for one see this line up as a step into the right direction!

• PUMPED
    March 28, 2013 - 14:33

This is hands down the best line up that salmon fest has seen to date! gonna be deadly

• Belaxel
      March 28, 2013 - 22:41

My fav band the hip @ my wife's guy Johnny + we love the eagles & it's my first festival I think it's awsome

• Charlie Pride
    March 28, 2013 - 14:24

Wonder if there is anyway possible we can get Charlie Pride here again....he would fit in perfectly with this line up!..zzzzz

• arfur
    March 28, 2013 - 14:22

gotta say, been to the last 3 and thoroughly enjoyed them with my family. But can't see anything for my son in this one. Sorry GFW my $1000 dollars will be staying home this year

• Edmund
      March 28, 2013 - 15:26

That's ok ARFUR, I plan on spending $2,000.00 or more. They won't miss you at all.

• Gord
    March 28, 2013 - 14:04

Sounds like a great line-up and for those punks that don't like this type of music just stay away so you don't spoil it for those of us who do!

• Krista
    March 28, 2013 - 13:59

I guess the concert organizers wanted a break from the debauchery of all the young people who usually attend Salmon Fest. The worst they're going to have to worry about with this one is a broken hip or two when the audience gets a little out of hand ;)

• DARLENE
    March 28, 2013 - 13:54

EAGLES OK, SICK OF SEEING THE REST, WOULDN'T WASTE MY MONEY ON IT. SAVE IT FOR FLORIDA

• Jackie
    March 28, 2013 - 13:50

Maybe us older people will have a chance to rent a room in Grand Falls with this line up.

• Clark
    March 28, 2013 - 13:48

Nothing for the younger crowd? like what? someone with a turntable and a bunch of no talent guys jumping around going "what, what?" and "Put yo hands up!". You should try and listen to some real musicians who play real instruments and write real songs. Go to a 1000 nightclubs if you want to hear that crap thumpin'. BUT, there should be some fine NFLD acts in the lineup!

• Charity
    March 28, 2013 - 13:28

Wow, terrible line up. Nothing for younger teens. I will definitely not be attending, sales will definitely go down from last year, so much for the "biggest" event in the past three years.

• John Wellon
      April 13, 2013 - 22:06

Thank Allah that Charity will i not be attending! I doubt if she has any money, probably her parents...

• lisa
    March 28, 2013 - 13:20

very disappointed in the line up this year. blue rodeo has been here several times along with johnny ried... the hip were at salmon festival before... seriously?? come on??? i attend every year. Sadly to say i will not waste my time or money on this show. I was really pulling for maroon 5 i would of def paid alot to see these guys!!!

• darren
    March 28, 2013 - 12:25

What a bunch of negative Newfs we have in this province. If you don't like the line up, just leave your sorry ass home. I'm sure the 25,000 attending will not miss you. Congrats GFW for stepping up for the 28th year in a row.

• Planor
      March 28, 2013 - 13:23

LOL if you think this lineup gets 25000, only people happy with this garbage lineup is people who have never left the island and are desperate for any music concert. Horrid lineup.

• Ben
    March 28, 2013 - 12:24

Shanneyganock would draw more people then these acts, I think they hit the tree on this one.

• Danny
    March 28, 2013 - 12:22

Can't wait...er 50,000 ppl drunk and high in the mud with the smell of body odor,Weed & urine !!!!

• wavy
      March 28, 2013 - 17:42

Awesome! Imagine what Woodstock was like....and they had almost half a million stinkin' and slidin' in the mud on that little hill in Bethel.

• Edmund
    March 28, 2013 - 12:22

I and a lot more like me (55+) will be there having a great time, a few draws and everything, just like back in the good old days when an outdoor concert was appreciated. Maybe all the young snots who are complaining that the venue is too old for them should be thankful that they have had the last few years to do their thing AND they should never forget it is / was people like us and bands like The Eagles, Matt Minglewood, Blue Rodeo and others that kick started these mega concerts and made them what they are today. Simple solution: Go and enjoy or don't go and stop bellyaching. Don't knock it til you tried it. It will probablly be the biggest and best Salmon Fest concert ever with this lineup. Come on Hotel California

• townie
    March 28, 2013 - 12:20

Except for the Eagles who are washed up anyway. All the other bands have been in NL 2or3 times at least. Done think i will waste my time and money going to this one.Poor job GFW.

• J
    March 28, 2013 - 11:57

The Eagles? The Hip? These are all on the classic rock channel. Anything new? Or can we not get that until the year 2030 or so when they are old and outdated themselves.

• Jeff
    March 28, 2013 - 10:55

Obviously they're trying to lure the young kids with this lineup. My 86 year old grandmother is finally going to see her childhood crushes live in concert.

• Joelle
    March 28, 2013 - 10:55

OMG!!!!! AWESOME!!!

• You are kidding
    March 28, 2013 - 10:52

What a bad line up. Nothing there for the younger audience. The whole song list will be sleepy boaring slow songs. Not the best line-up for sure. Things can only get better next year. They certainly can't get any worse than this.

• meow
      March 28, 2013 - 14:27

Maybe you need to learn to spell??? Boaring???? Try boring maybe?

• Debbie Connors
    March 28, 2013 - 10:50

Just wondering what is the dates. We have to drive a long ways and need a place to stay and would like to reservations as soon a possible. This would be my first time going and I no everything goes real fast. Thanks Deb

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2013 - 13:12

It's July 13th, but good luck finding accommodations. Everything was booked up over a month ago!

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2013 - 13:14

• pat
      March 29, 2013 - 00:30

the dates are July 12-13. As for getting a place to stay,good luck. I am manager at a motel near GFW and everything is booked out as far as Gander.

• al
    March 28, 2013 - 10:48

I remeber when salmon festival had something for everyone. Now it's a contest of how many camping chairs can fit on the field containing the middle agers and up. Koodos to the city for getting such big names for salmon fest like the eagles, kiss, and aerosmith, but what about the rest of us who grew up on the music of the 90s? The new event organizers need to broaden their taste if they want me back at salmon fest, haven't missed a splash concert in years , but there's just nothing there for me anymore. Have fun dad! Don't stay out too late!

• Lilly
      March 28, 2013 - 13:01

Geroge Street Fest has the Gin Blossoms for the 90's music lover...

• chris
      March 29, 2013 - 07:16

Al, they have the Hip and Blue Rodeo. Two of the biggest acts for anyone into music in the 90s.

• Saucy Face
    March 28, 2013 - 10:47

Lame line up ... I mean,Johnny Reid and Blue Rodeo? Why don't they just move here and be done with it? Hell, they are even too old for me and I'm 59. Hey! Rosetta and Lucas Nelson would have been better choices.

• April
    March 28, 2013 - 10:46

Terrible! Bad choices....I think u'll def. go down in sales from last yr! These bands are outdated and there is nothing to attrack the younger crowd! I came from Labrador City last yr to see Areosmith. And I brought my 10 yr old daughter with me...she loved Carley rea and flo rider and Areosmith!..I def. won't be there this yr! Disappointing :(

• newfie
    March 28, 2013 - 10:37

This line up is pretty weak and does not top last years performance. I will save my money this year.

• Nierlythere
      March 28, 2013 - 14:17

This is a great line up! Who doesn't like the Eagles? And the tragically hip rocks on! Koodos for this year team. I for one am really happy that I won't have to put up with the whole Justin bieber crowd. An outdoor venue should be rock and roll. I can listen to the rap and annoying coming from my daughters bedroom. Have fun all!