Fred Hutton takes job as VOCM news director

Fred Hutton. Telegram file photo

VOCM has announced that NTV co-anchor Fred Hutton will be taking up a new job as news director at VOCM in the near future.

Hutton has been a longtime co-anchor and news director at NTV.

Comments

Comments

• Isabelle Long
    January 02, 2014 - 01:45

Here it is the new year,2014 .I am now living in Ontario and just found out of Fred Hut tons new job. I miss not being able to get Ntv news channel. My husband and U watched it every night, but after he passed away, I stayed in Whiteway TB for three years. But knew I had to be where my children and Grandchildren were .So I moved back to Ont. and know now that is where I belong. I miss the wonderful people of Whiteway and the family I was part of. They always made me feel at home. 16 years was a great part of our lives and that was a hard decision to make. May God Bless each and everyone who I was lucky enough to meet. Newfoundlanders be proud of yourselves and keep up the great hospitality . Happy New Year to all at NTV. Isabelle(Liz) long

• Fred McInnis
      January 06, 2014 - 16:44

I view NTV news on Bell ch. 199 in London, On. Glad to hear Mr. Hutton is doing well.

• Heather Anthony
    October 15, 2013 - 16:41

I missed Fred on the news and decided to Google where he was? Didn't know of his leaving NTV. Congrats & Good luck in your future endeavors.

• John Tobin
    September 12, 2013 - 17:52

We miss you on the evening news Fred . . . one of our favourites. Here's wishing you all the best in your new position.

• Joy Byrde
    June 26, 2013 - 17:48

Congratulations & best of luck to Fred as he embarkes on this new phase of his journalistic career~will miss seeing him on The NTV Evening Newshour~VOCM's Gain!!

• randy white
    June 15, 2013 - 11:01

It is a funny thing to me, but I don't think the news will be the same without Fred. While the rest of the crew are great, Fred will be greatly missed by all of us who watched the ntv news. (the only TV news channel in NL)

• Big Shoes To Fill
    May 22, 2013 - 13:11

Congrats to Fred Hutton on his new duties at VOCM. It will be different not seeing his likeliness while many of us are eating supper each day. If I remember correctly, Lynn Burry's been with NTV since at least 1983 (30 years already?), Toni-Marie Wiseman, almost a quarter of a century, and Glen Carter's been at the desk and a key NTV figure since 2005. I consider Danielle Butt more associated with radio than with TV. I wouldn't be shocked if Lynn Burry retires at some point this decade. But I agree, whoever replaces Fred at the desk has really big shoes to fill. I wonder who would be perfect for the job? Paging Michael Connors...

• Brenda Joyce Wheeler
    April 22, 2013 - 10:46

Hi Fred, I don't know who'll be taking your place at NTV but they have some pretty big shoes to fill. You bring your own special touch to reporting the news, a friend who comes into my living room every night to let me know what is happening in NL and LB, the rest of Canada and the world. I don't know if anyone can do that quite like you. The birthdays and anniversaries too are done with individuality making everyone feel special. Please know you'll be very missed. Wishing you all the best in your new position at VOCM.

• stephen gale
    April 17, 2013 - 20:59

Congrats. Fred Look to the future.

• Carolyn Leonard
    April 08, 2013 - 23:24

Congratulation's Fred on your new job ,you will be missed from NTV.

• Southerngal
    April 08, 2013 - 23:09

Funny thing....Fred Hutton is leaving NTV to go to VOCM, at the very same time that Gerry Phalen is leaving VOCM to go to NTV! Switcheroo News!!!

• Doreen Tobin
    April 08, 2013 - 15:23

As you move on to new challenges, I want to thank you for your excellent dedication to NTV over the years. You will be an asset to VOCM News.

• donna
    April 05, 2013 - 17:47

Isn't it sad that there are so many people willing to offer insults and criticism for Mr. Hutton as he moves forward with his career. It should be noted that he has been an journalist with NTV for about 23 years, earning his salary ,supporting his family and contributing to the economy of NL and Labrador. In moving to the VOCM position, he will continue to do so. Perhaps some of you would be quicker to praise and cut him a bit of slack,if he was content to sit home and depend on the system to support him instead. Well, I for one wish him the best of luck in his career and look forward to hearing his news reports in the coming days

• Bill
    April 02, 2013 - 13:02

These people must be getting paid a pittance!!

• Margaret
    April 02, 2013 - 12:48

I feel Fred Hutton is taking a step backwards because VOCM is surviving mainly because of their Open Line Shows, which can be very annoying most times, thus, I very seldom listen to them. You're better than that, Fred. Stay with the News.

• Virginia Waters
    April 02, 2013 - 11:29

The news industry today is a shadow of its former self in the sixties, seventies and even eighties. With its funding for local news cut to the bone, the once very credible CBC news organization no longer exists. Supper hour is now a mismatch of local, national and international news interspersed in a manner designed to hide just how feeble and shallow it has all become. Stories are selected for how cheap they can be covered - almost nothing beyond the overpass. The latest ploy is to allocate 10 or 15 minutes to a viewer poll of whatever CBC thinks will prompt the most people to respond. It is a cheap trick - costing almost nothing in staff time or travel. Hosts are now expected to wash floors as well as deliver the news. Watching Debbie Cooper read sports news she doesn't understand and doesn't like is sad. She has that look of wanting to be anywhere else but there. Jonathan Crowe almost begs viewers to call in to help save the newscast. The only professional in the lot is Cochrane and he has my sympathies with the obvious frustrations he faces every day at mother-corp. At least VOCM has never pretended to be more than low-end news service geared to press releases, press conferences and ribbon cuttings. VO wants nothing to do with anything controversial, especially if it reflects badly on government. Government and their corporate friends are a big part of VO's ad revenue and neither Butler nor Steele were ever inclined to bite the hand that feeds them. It isn't that NTV has blossomed into a great news organization but it has largely held its own while everything else around it has fallen apart. Its evening news cast outdraws CBC viewers by double or more. Granted Fred Hutton is not as hard hitting an interviewer as Lynn Burry, but he is a very credible announcer. I'm not sure how much news research or writing any of these hosts do behind the scenes. I assume Fred does some or he wouldn't be tapped for the director job at VO. The bottom line is that there isn't a news organization in this province that isn't being run on a shoe string these days - and that includes the Telegram. That said, NTV and the Telegram have outperformed the others in maintaining at least a semblance of the journalism standards we once took for granted. But they could do much better. When it comes to holding government to account, my guess is that the next year or so will prove interesting. The Muskrat debacle (despite the CRA poll), Bill 29, and the public service gutting budget will undoubtedly spur a lot of embarrassing government leaks. I suppose Marshall was trying to be nice by calling Dunderdale the 'Iron Lady' but who among us had not already concluded that this leader was unnaturally stiff, wooden, sullen, combative, defensive and shrill. She might be a very nice lady but she is in over her head and her demeanour in the house and in front of the cameras shows it. Too bad Newfoundlanders didn't support the Independent more.

• gary wicks
      August 13, 2013 - 16:42

i think he hit it right on the sac there . truth indeed

• Jeff
    April 02, 2013 - 09:39

Darren is right: NTV piggybacks on CTV which piggybacks on the third-rate American networks for international stories. VOCM is even more pathetic in that there is no national news and "international news" is just celebrity fluff pieces from CNN. NTV operates with a fraction of the staff and funding of the CBC News and it certainly shows.

• saelcove
    April 02, 2013 - 09:35

Maybe vocm can get him to ask the hard questions

• Peggy
    April 02, 2013 - 09:04

Mr. Hutton, the NTV Evening News Hour won't be the same any more without your presence. You will be missed by most in Newfoundland and Labrador, and those away who watch by satelite. It is certainly VOCM's "gain", and there's no doubt that you will be a great asset to their team. Congratulations and best of luck in all your future endeavours. I do feel sad about your leaving NTV, though.

• Edmund
    April 02, 2013 - 08:15

Who really cares? He is just another news reader with a voice suitable for some listeners, not all. I guess the bottom line is - The Steele's will pay him more money than the Stirling's to speak. Maybe in his new position he will get to host the morning open line show that blabbermouth Simms left behind.

• sherman wiseman
      June 15, 2013 - 00:05

I have watched your newscast for many years and have always admired your smooth, calm delivery and quiet, friendly demeanour. Your integrity and dedication to your craft was obvious to all your viewers and you will be gratly missed. Of course, i have appreciated Lynn as well, and I'm sure she will carry on in the tradition you have both established. Best wishes as you enter this new phase of you career. Take care. I will follow you on twitter

• Carl
    April 02, 2013 - 08:01

How can one not laugh at comment like the first one there by Darren? No credibility to back up his insult to NTV just a lot of hot air. Darren how about some facts? Like how NTV has been doing as good and better in ratings - with a fraction of the federal funding that CBC has. How about the best Janeway telethon to date - with a fraction of the staff and funding CBC has. To be so ignorant with your statement of insult is an insult to the opinion of the majority of people living in the province, because they put NTV up in those ratings. Good luck Fred, you'll be missed every evening on our street I am sure!

• Carl
    April 02, 2013 - 07:57

How can one not laugh at comment like the first one above by Darren? No credibility to back up his insult to NTV just a lot of hot air. Darren how about some facts? Like how NTV has been doing as good and better in ratings - with a fraction of the federal funding that CBC has. How about the best Janeway telethon to date - with a fraction of the staff and funding CBC has. To be so ignorant with your statement of insult is an insult to the opinion of the majority of people living in the province who put NTV up in those ratings. Good luck Fred, you'll be missed every evening on our street I am sure!

• darren
    April 01, 2013 - 22:40

No news and no loss. NTV is a mickey mouse organization anyway, second class to Here and Now and the CBC. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Fred.

• Fred
      April 02, 2013 - 12:03

Why does everyone who thinks an organization is poorly run call it a mickey mouse organization ( see Darren above and Wayne Grettzky on the New Jersey Devils ). If anyone has been to Walt Disney World ( built by the mouse - Mickey Mouse), they will see that it is a first class operational organization. A lot of businesses would love to be compared to Disney. I have been there several times and it never ceases to amaze me the customer service that I receive. Business would do well to be called Miceky Mouse if they provided the service. So Darren, to call NTV a mickey mouse organization must mean that they are in a service class, second to Disney corporation; which I do not think you mean. Before demeaning a great corporation as Disney, I would first suggest you check it out personally

• W Bagg
    April 01, 2013 - 20:37

Fred maybe a nice guy but his interviews were soft. He never asked any politician any hard or tough questions..............when Danny's Heart Operation got out, who did Danny seek out for the interview, NTV with Fred Hutton, known it would be a good interview. The Telegram nor Cochrane at CBC never had a chance with those big purple file(s) each had. Hopefully VOCM will still be semi reliable for the "News".

• Danny
      April 02, 2013 - 00:25

A true professional ...all the best Fred.

• Leah
    April 01, 2013 - 18:22

This is not an April Fool's Day joke, is it? I am certainly going to miss him on the NTV Evening News Hour.

• Robert
      April 01, 2013 - 22:58

I'm with you Leah on this one! Sounds like an April's Fools joke. If not I'd say this is a step in the wrong direction!

• Jeff Blackwood
    April 01, 2013 - 18:15

I first thought this must be an April Fool's Joke. Fred Hutton leaving NTV is a major loss for the station. He has served NTV well and done a tremendous job. All the best in your new position Fred. VOCM has grabbed a top notch newsman.

• Pierre Neary