Comments

Comments

• Alexis
    April 02, 2013 - 11:45

How many murders in St. John's are males killing their female partners.. I can count at least 5 in the last ten years (go ahead, count em up). Not to discount what this woman did, as she's as violent and abusive as the best of them, but no need to discredit the campaign efforts to stop violence against women. Not sure the logic here.. a woman committed a violent act, so we need less awareness of violence towards women? How about more awareness all around of spousal violence. For every woman (and man) arrested, there are lots more verbally and physically abusing their partners..

• Don't bother
      April 02, 2013 - 12:18

How is this for logic, I don't seem to recall you voicing your displeasure towards the 5 Mount Pearl teens who beat and robbed a mentally challenged 23 year old male. Now..let me guess, if that had been a 23 year old mentally challenged women who was beaten and robbed you would have been all over that story. However, I do agree with you - awareness of violence against PEOPLE is necessary. That is logical.

• original townie
    April 02, 2013 - 11:25

I think it's time there was an ad on television stating.....teach her how to respect men. We already have one for teaching him how to respect women. Equal rights. I personally think the current ad is sexist. The vast majority of men already respect women. Too much women's lib for me!

• Not all of us..
    April 02, 2013 - 10:30

@ JUST SAYING & DON'T BOTHER..I am a woman, and I think (hope) the majority of people wouldn't ignore violence in any form, against women, men, children, seniors, etc. Violence against women does get most of the media attention, and I agree, more education and 'light' being shed on violent acts against men is necessary. Sadly there is still the social stigma attached to it - that it doesn't hurt or affect the man in the same manner it would affect a woman, child or elder. Sure - in most cases a blow from a woman to a man may not cause the same physical damage..but it all boils down to the same issue..it's wrong, it affects any gender or age group physically and emotionally. Women abuse men, children and elders too. Not just a 'big bad man'..and the public should be educated that abuse can and does happen to everyone - it does not discrimanate.

• JUST SAYING
    April 02, 2013 - 09:47

Well, so much for violence against women. Now, what about violence against men?

• Don't bother
      April 02, 2013 - 10:02

The violence against women groups NEVER comment on these stories. Instread they most likely hold fund raisers to help pay for the accused bail, or they most likely hold ''He deserved it'' parties whenever a story like this gets published.