Two women charged with first degree murder

Andrea Gunn

Thirty-three-year-old Wanda Joy Ash and 31-year-old Pamela Pike have both been charged with the first degree murder of Jason Skinner. The 34-year-old victim was killed in Grand Falls-Windsor on Sunday.

Both women made brief, separate court appearances in Grand Falls-Windsor court on Monday. Pike sobbed as she was led into the courtroom in cuffs.

Both have been ordered to have no contact with one another. The two accused have been remanded in custody and will appear back in court separately on May 1 for a bail hearing.

Members of the RCMP  Grand Falls Windsor detachment, were called to a residence on 18th Avenue in Grand Falls Windsor early Sunday.

They found Skinner seriously injured inside of the residence.  He was transported directly to Central Newfoundland Regional Health Care Centre, where he succumbed to his injuries.  An autopsy is being performed today in St. John's.

The RCMP investigation into the incident is continuing. Anyone with information relating to this incident is asked to contact the Grand Falls-Windsor RCMP, Crime Stoppers Newfoundland and Labrador or any detachment of the RCMP or Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.

Geographic location: Grand Falls

Comments

Comments

• A Mother
    April 25, 2013 - 04:16

So Redgrave you believe that a person woman or not that takes another persons life or holding up stores ( as you wife did) should be aloud to be free and clear to walk ourstreet s? In my eyes and they should be keep them in jail. I say this as a mother i don't want my children out on the same streets as the people that should be in jail for the hard crimes they are charged with.. these 2 woman are charged with taking a life why should they get bail?? Your wife held up a number of stores she never should have gotten bail... once again our system is letting us down.. stend them to jail take away the bail.. i would rather pay my taxes to have tbe locked up then out on our streets............ thats Final....

• Jeff
    April 17, 2013 - 07:21

Yeah this got Butlerville written all over it.

• Calvin
    April 16, 2013 - 19:11

I comment pretty regularly on news stories so I know it's a great place for high spirited debate. I'm sad to say that this is the first time I've been in the unfortunate position of reading the debate as a family member of the victim. It's a different perspective. We loved Jason. He was a great kid and came from a decent family. However, like too many children, somewhere along the way he made some choices that led him down the road that ended in tragedy this past weekend. It's tough for us to imagine that the little blond haired boy we loved so much was killed in some horrible manner in that emergency shelter by people just as lost as he was. I think that we all need to realize that none of us are immune to this type of tragedy. If it could happen to our family then it could happen to anyone's. We are grieving not just for Jason but for the families of all the people involved. Even the people that did this, whoever they are, had families that loved them and our hearts break for them as much as for ourselves. You can debate the academics and the legalities of it all you want but you should remember that in the end these are people's children, both victim and perpetrator, and the way we prevent it is by keeping our families close. I wouldn't want any other family to feel what we feel right now. There are no words to describe it no matter how hard you try.

• wavy
    April 16, 2013 - 08:22

Wow. Stay classy, Butlerville residents. You guys swallowed that bait, hook, line and sinker. Show a little more fortitude, maturity and self esteem.

• Butlerville Resident
    April 16, 2013 - 07:17

Excuse me Eddie Rue, I am a long time resident of Butlerville. I have never known any murderers to live there. My entire life, I've felt safe enough to walk around our little community during the day or night.You can leave your door unlocked and your belongings outside at night. You know your neighbours and their families. I have never been involved with crime and neither has any of my family. I just can't understand why you would assume that these women are from Butlerville. Please educate yourself or at least look at a map,

• Violence against women
    April 15, 2013 - 23:38

I wonder where the violence against women groups are??? Why are they not commenting on this story??? If 2 men murdered 1 woman those same groups / people would want the guilty persons hang, drawn and quartered. I guess ignorance truly is bliss. I for one am against violence against PEOPLE.

• Ginger
    April 15, 2013 - 20:38

Let's just say...birds of a feather.......get my point?

• darrell
    April 15, 2013 - 19:15

I knew we shouldn't have amalgamated with Windsor. They are a bunch of savages on the other side of the tracks.

• JLG
      April 21, 2013 - 11:29

Wow Darrell!! You truly are simple. I was raised in Windsor, i hold the same education, morals, and sense of right and wrong as the crowd in GF. If you have dealt with "savages" on the "other side of the tracks" you can rest easy tonight knowing it was your ignorance that provoked them. I can sit here and name a few offenders from your side of the tracks, hell, i could even post a few news articles, but not for a second do i think it gives me a right to hold a complete town responsible for their actions. You should be ashamed!!

• wavy
    April 15, 2013 - 15:41

Based on comments below, some people are bizarre to the point of hilarity. Nothing like a drug-related first degree murder investigation to bring out society's best. Days like today really make me wonder why I stay in NL, in the name of raising a family in a happy, healthy and safe place. Been having a lot of those types of days lately. Between the explosion in violent crime and the government doint everything it can to crush out any hope of a bright future for my kids, it's getting harder to justify. Did I mention I had my car broken into on the weekend? Stay in school kids and don't do drugs.

• Ed Power
    April 15, 2013 - 14:20

How quickly would some peoples's opinion change, I wonder, if they were the the ones charged with a crime - possibly without cause - and awaiting a bail hearing? It seems some people believe that the concept of being "innocent until proven guilty" applies only when it suits them. I suggest that they Google Susan Nelles to see how an innocent person can be tried, convicted and hung long before their case can be presented in court. Or David Milgard, Paul Morin and Steven Truscott to to see just how easily an innocent person can end up in jail. If their comments here are anything to go by, some on here would have been quite at home at Inquisition trials and Star Chamber proceedings.

• family member
    April 15, 2013 - 14:18

what gives anyone the right to think that they can take a life .whatever. he has a family ,a mom & dad who's hearts have been broken today. allot of us loved him & when someone is killed this way just remember he was somebody 's child

• jim
    April 15, 2013 - 13:55

"YOU MAKE ME SICK REDGRAVE, hiding behind that computer screen. look who's calling the kettle black, besides everyone is entiled to an opinion. if you don't like it, then don't read it. as for the charge of first degree murder, i say they should be held pending trial. AND THATS MY OPINION !

Stephen D Redgrave
      April 15, 2013 - 14:15

Look me up, I'm in the book and you're opinion on Charter issues means nothing to anyone. The girls get a bail hearing.

• Michelle
    April 15, 2013 - 13:43

People are innocent until proven guilty. Remember that everyone. Please don't judge anyone unless you have walked in their shoes. Not much information is being released at this time, so please don't persecute them without knowing all the facts.

• Daphne Noble
    April 15, 2013 - 12:13

I find it rather sad that there seems to be a complete lack of respect these days for anyone or anything - including the law and life itself. The justice system needs a complete over-all, especially when it comes to our youth - they have been placed above the law, and they know it. Punishment should suit the crime, especially when it comes to murder. Life is so very precious - we all should embrace it, not take it away.

• To Amazed
    April 15, 2013 - 12:06

No. I'm suggesting that if someone is accused of a violent crime and the crown has sufficient reason to believe that the accused is involved(i.e arresting them), that they should not be allowed out to roam the streets. We have a clause in the charter that states that these types of crimes be heard and judged as soon as possible. And last I checked buddy. We're worse off than a communist country. At least in a communist country, everyone has to pull their weight instead of the rich and the parasitic leeching off the middle class.

• Amazed
      April 15, 2013 - 14:35

Your comment was "we're gonna let them have a bail hearing?". I find it ironic that you are quoting the Charter but you want to deny these people a bail hearing. The Charter states that any person has the right "to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing...". So if you want to start quoting the Charter, you might want to start with that clause. ...And by the way, The Charter does not say "as soon as possible". It says any person has the right "to be tried within a reasonable time". In any event, I'm not sure what relevance that has to your point. How quickly we all forget about the wrongful convictions that have occurred, not only in this province, but across Canada. People like you, "buddy", jump to conclusions without knowing anything about the case and you dismiss the possibility the police may not have investigated properly. I'm not saying these people are guilty or not guilty. But they certainly deserve a fair hearing, just like the rest of us Canadian citizens.

• victim of crime
    April 15, 2013 - 11:40

charged with first degree murder and they are getting a bail hearing. OOPS! i forgot we are dealing with a mickey mouse justice system and a phoney as a three dollar bill "CHARTER OF RIGHTS & FREEDOMS" which give criminals more rights then the victims. if the die-heart hug-a-thug liberal mp's in ottawa have their way, these two will be walking the street by nightfall.

• BAYMAN
    April 15, 2013 - 11:22

Even though they have not been found guilty by a court, it seems outrageous that people can be arrested and charged with rmurder, then allowed to roam the streets for a couple of weeks.

• Amazed
      April 15, 2013 - 11:40

Um, they're in custody.

• K
      April 15, 2013 - 11:49

Bayman - they've "been remanded in custody" - that means they are in the lock-up.

• Amazed
      April 15, 2013 - 12:39

Um, they're in custody.

• eddie rue
    April 15, 2013 - 11:12

everyone is entitled to a bail hearing. I bet these ladies are from Butlerville.

• Donna
      April 15, 2013 - 12:53

You sir are an ass. How do you make any connection to Grand Falls and Butlerville, which is in CBS North?

• Disbelief
      April 15, 2013 - 21:44

To Eddie Rue . Do you realize there is a drive of 41/2 drive from Butlerville to Grand Falls ? I am thinking a lady from this community must have turned you down , I am a respectful parent from Butlerville , and Thank God no one as been linked to such a crime in this community EVER , And yes all facts as to be heard , And yes the LAW IS Innocent until found guilty , So who gives you the right to SAY YOU BET , they are from our community ? People like you should be charged with such a statement ...

• Amelia Moore
      April 15, 2013 - 22:27

I dont know who you are and I really dont care I am from Butlerville and so is a good many fine other people no one I knows from Bulerville is out killing people it just takes someone like you that dont know us or anything about Butlerville to give us a bad name so before you throw stones why dont ya go look in the mirror and see what is looking back and I can tell ya the faces of Butlerville will be a hell of a lot better looking than what you see so before you judge us why dont ya get to know us then if you still dont like Butlerville be a descent human being and keep your messed up opinions to youself

• Jean
      April 15, 2013 - 22:36

What makes you think these girls are from Butlerville. Is that how it goes when someone does something wrong they are from Butlerville. Let me tell you something the world is full of bad people, why pick on Butlerville. I haven't seen something like that happen in Butlerville. So think before you say things.

• karen ..
      April 15, 2013 - 23:19

as a person thats from butlerville i find it very offensive for eddie rue to assume these ladies are from butlerville ...how the hell did he make any kind of connection between butlerville and gfw...like is there ppl living here i ve never met ..do you know something the other residents of butlerville dont know or are you just an ignorant s.o.b....i d bet the later one applies

• Sarah Harris
      April 16, 2013 - 01:17

You piece of crap I am from Butlervill and we are all Family. You have a Damm nerve I hope someone from Butlerville grabs you and shakes the crap out of you. you are nothing

• Butlerville Proud
      April 16, 2013 - 03:32

Dear Eddie Rue Have you ever seen past the tip of your own nose? Insinuating that these woman are from my community of Butlerville? Have you ever even been here? Clearly not. I can personally confirm your suspicion that these two woman are not from Butlerville Newfoundland. Maybe Butlerville New York would be a closer assumption for your to draw from. Having lived here my whole existence I can testify that Butlerville NL is an outstanding place to raise a family. High community spirits, exceptional persons of all manners of life, sustainable business ventures, low crime rates, sufficient recreational areas an the list goes on and on. The family names Ash, Pike and Skinner are not even from within this small community. But had they been the persons would be innocent until proven guilty. They would not be judged so quickly by narrow minded individuals as yourself. For all our sakes I hope your never called for jury duty. You would never be able to let your own prejudices get out of your way. Well I'm off to work, maybe the next time your in need of assistance someone from Butlerville will be so kind as to lend you the helping... Wonder will their level of care change when they hear the name Eddie Rue?

• Butlerville Proud
      April 16, 2013 - 03:33

• Really?
    April 15, 2013 - 10:51

Two women up for first degree murder and we're gonna let them have a bail hearing?

• Amazed
      April 15, 2013 - 11:17

Are you actually suggesting, if someone is accused of a crime, they shouldn't even be permitted to APPLY for bail? Maybe you should move to a communist country.

Redgrave
      April 15, 2013 - 13:39

They found Skinner seriously injured inside of the residence. No word yet on cause of death. He could have fallen down, had a stroke--then fallen down, been stabbed, shot, beaten or had a heart attack and fallen down. We don't know and we don't ASSUME anything! Mr or Mrs hide behind the name REALLY? YOU MAKE ME SICK!! the girls get a bail hearing, and that is FINAL!!

• nicole
      April 15, 2013 - 16:45

if its the same Pam Pike I met years ago. she's from Pasadena.

• Kevin
    April 15, 2013 - 10:37

Newfoundland is going to the dogs. Here you have two early 30's women charged with First Degree murder. How thins and times are changing. It will be interesting to see what other, if, previous tangles with the law are on their respective records. Sad day in any event.