Innu protesters block entrance to Muskrat Falls work site

Innu protesters block entrance to Muskrat Falls work site today. — Photo by Derek Montague/TC Media

Innu protestors have effectively shut down the Muskrat Falls construction site near Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

The protestors are furious following allegations of racial slurs from a project manager at the site.

After a few protesters arrived at the scene earlier Thursday, by 5 p.m. dozens of protesters and pickups had driven right into the heart of the site.

Security at the scene appeared to make no effort to stop protesters driving through.

By 5 p.m. most operations at the site appeared to have been shut down, with workers trying to get home being blocked by protesters.

Innu leaders including Jeremy Andrew, Simeon Tshakapesh and Andrew Penashue are on the scene apparently waiting for a conference call with Nalcor officials in an effort to defuse the situation.

•••

Innu protesters are blocking the entrance to the Muskrat Falls works site in Labrador today.

The protest began after allegations of racist comments being made against Innu workers.

More details later and full story in Friday’s Telegram.

Geographic location: Labrador

Comments

Comments

• SheshatshiuInnu
    April 18, 2013 - 21:24

Ummm.. The First Nations that you are referring to are not saying anything about the land here, they are standing up to Racism. It's just plays out to be in their advantage as it's happening on the land that belonged to their ancestors that was passed down to them. THEY ARE JUST FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHT THING! Wouldn't you stand up to Racism?

• John Singleton
    April 18, 2013 - 20:13

Don't agree with the Innu protesting on NunatuKavut Lands, They are Not Labrador First Nations peoples but from James Bay area.

• Goose Bay ex-pat
    April 18, 2013 - 20:02

i am getting a little tired of the notion that in the name of a protest, a group of people can do anything they want and law enforcement do nothing to stop them. i don't care if you are fish harvesters, animal rights activists, unionized strikers, aboriginals, or just generally disgruntled people. You do not have the right to interfere with other citizens' rights. Law enforcement agencies and the courts need to start defending the WHOLE population and stop cowering in the face of a few outspoken, disgruntled people. I support the right to protest and get your message/concerns out into a public forum. I don't support what is nothing more than organized hooliganism.

• Bruno Marcocchio
    April 18, 2013 - 19:35

The answer is "this land is their land this land is their land" It is time you admitted that and stopped being an ugly colonial.

• AUBisAtroll
    April 18, 2013 - 18:44

AUB is a troll, paid for by the Tory govt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VpVUYGcgtjw

• stuck n middle
    April 18, 2013 - 17:52

They should practice what they preach, tolerance and respect for others. If I made inappropriate comments, I would be terminated! Fire the person who made the comments, make an official apology and let us go back to work. Maybe supply some sensitivity training for IKC- ONE upper management to ensure no repeat incidents occur. RESPECT and UNDERSTANDING!!!!! That's what it is all about

• Jay Person
    April 18, 2013 - 15:57

@AUB What you're saying doesn't make sense. Everyone has the same legal right to not be subjected to racism at work, don't they?

• Tshimi Innu
    April 18, 2013 - 15:27

This land is your land, this land is my land From British Columbia to Newfoundland From the Torgnat Mountains, to St. Lawrence River, This land was made for you and me As I went walking on sandy beach of highway And saw in front of me A beached Ship that Christopher Columbus steered here And few days later I saw before me John Cabot’s lost boat This land was made for you and me. This land was made for you and me WE WERE HERE FIRST

• John Smith
    April 18, 2013 - 15:05

I was wondering how long this would take...of course this was the plan all along...actual work for a days pay? I think not...Simeon screams racism again? Worked last time I guess...

• Aub
    April 18, 2013 - 14:55

"This land is your land, this land is my land". Why do the First Nations think all this is their land? We should have the same rights as they do.

• Lori
      April 18, 2013 - 16:07

DUH!!! because it IS their land!!

• Lori
      April 18, 2013 - 16:16

DUH!!! because it IS their land!!

• madtrapper
      April 18, 2013 - 22:25

if everyone thought like you there would be no such thing as a world fit to live in! here in Labrador the "newfoundland government" is taking over everything we have. it is only when all the people of Labrador unite that we can auctually get anything from any major project any other time we have no say in the matter. pretty sad don't you think?