Comments

Comments

• coco
    April 23, 2013 - 06:27

Why rent increases and evictions after 10 years as a condition of seniors renting these apartments from NLHC? They will have paid for the unit twice over after about ten (10) years. If each unit costs $40,000 and the rent is $700; won't it only take only about five (5) years to pay it off? Why not charge half the rent ($350/mo) and let them pay for the unit over a 10 year period? They're seniors. It could be the last 10 years of their life. Why not allow them to keep a larger portion of their own money to circulate around in our economy? I read that our province gives more money to foreign owners of our resources, than any other province in Canada. If that is so, then our money is not circulating around in our economy in our communities or in our province, as it should. Do our politicians invest too much in foreign owned industry and too little in our local economy?

• david
    April 23, 2013 - 01:21

And like clockwork, the government steps in to create another mess, with more misallocated, disrespected public money used to bastardize and corrupt another perfectly capable private sector function. We are simply doomed to laughably bad, idiotic socialist ruin folks.

• steadywaters
    April 22, 2013 - 20:05

Randy once again no mention of the increased runoff adding to an already swollen water way when raining.Zero runoff policy is a joke,why not consult some one who knows or studies hydrology. This is not a valuable piece of land,this is affordable land. I am not against developement only against developement with out foresight.Whats next maybe forcing the homeowners on Park Ave with the immense lots to sell out so that buildings can be placed there also. On the lower end of Park and the upper part one could purchase three houses and put cul de sacs there or a court like set up similar to the ones in St John's. The river has been there a long time and the flooding that occurs with every rainfall greater than 25mm is something that is of recent happenings.Years ago it would only flood maybe twice a year,spring thaw , the occasional dying hurricane and of course ice jams.Re think this and look at other sites.If you are so interested in developement why not go up,I believe that a group of high rises near the industrial park would look good and be a pleasant sight to greet those coming into the city.The bonus would be the infrastucture already in place for the things that come with such developements,adaquate roads and a simply extra ordinary view of both CBS and St John's plus Shoal Bay. Hiking to the top of the hill next to Blackmarsh,up by the towers one can see all of this now.

• California Pete from NFLD
    April 22, 2013 - 12:37

So true what "GET WITH IT" said . Ilike to see an 80 year old go up the small narrow stairs with a walker. They just don't get it . What a waist of time and money. The contractor and architect must be of the younger generetion with no experiance in life.

• LA
      April 22, 2013 - 13:58

I'm wondering if Pete and 'Get with It' ever heard of elevators!!

• Not Fair
    April 22, 2013 - 12:22

Be non-senior make under 17500 and get social housing and probally lots of low income benefits from government too. Be a senior and make under 32500 and get affordable housing and tax breaks or fee breaks from all levels of government. Be an average working poor person making 20000 and get nothing. Where is the justice???

• Get with it
    April 22, 2013 - 12:03

Ok. Affordable housing, but have no say to the developer in the size or height. Come on, get with it. Surely, most seniors today need ground level accommodations to meet their physical needs. If the government are giving the land, then they should have a say in this.

• Misleading ???
    April 22, 2013 - 08:14

It is too bad the picture of those beautiful row houses in the article are not the design idea of the developer. The Telegram should have been more accurate and took a picture of the condo development and put in with this article, instead of misleading the readers.

• Marg
    April 22, 2013 - 07:58

So Seniors receiving only CPP and OAS are eliminated. I have an application in for over two years at NL Housing and when I phone them every now and then, they just say 'you're still on the list'. I've lived alone for nineteen years. I worked for almost forty years so paid taxes and to end up like this is heartaching. I do not smoke or drink or go to Bingo or buy Nevada tickets, etc., so my money isn't being wasted. My money is for rent, heat and light, groceries, and numerous medications; no luxuries whatsoever. People on the Welfare System are better off. I am an excellent tenant but just cannot get a break. However, I do thank God for the blessings I do have.

• not fair
      April 22, 2013 - 11:28

this is definitely not fair i am living on income support because of a disability that i required through no fault of my own, i ahve been renting for 28 years ,and am really in need of affordable quiet housing, why is there no more emphasis placed on people like my self!i am an excellent tenant and can provide references, i just need a break before i am too old to enjoy my life!