The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is seeking witnesses to a two-vehicle collision Wednesday night in Mount Pearl on Merchant Drive at Richard Nolan Drive.
According to police, officers and emergency personnel responded to the collision around 8:50 p.m. but the operator of one of the vehicles fled the scene on foot.
The RNC says witnesses reported seeing a female with an infant leaving the area on foot. Two occupants of the other vehicle were transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Police are asking that any witnesses call the Accident Investigation Section of the RNC or Crime Stoppers.
RNC officers are being assisted in the investigation by the Accident Investigation and Forensic Identification Sections.
In a 24-hour period up to early Thursday morning, the RNC responded to about 175 calls for service.
Other incidents included:
• At 2:20 p.m. Wednesday, police received a report from the Sheriff's Office that one of its officers was assaulted and the suspect attempted to disarm the officer.
A 23-year-old man was charged with assault and attempting to disarm a Sheriff's officer. The man was also charged with breach of court orders and was held in custody until a court appearance.
• At 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, police and emergency personnel responded to a collision in the east end of St. John's. A vehicle rear-ended a school bus as the bus came to a stop on Carrick Drive.
The RNC said a child on the bus received minor injuries. The driver on the bus was not injured.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
• At 2:40 p.m. Wednesday, police responded to provincial court in Atlantic Place in downtown St. John's.
The RNC said a 29-year-old man was charged with uttering threats towards a Sheriff's officer while at court. He was released to appear in court on that charge at later time.
• At 4 p.m. Wednesday, the RNC received a report from a downtown St. John's business of a person uttering threats. As a result, a 22-year-old man was charged uttering threats. He was released to appear in court at a later date.
• At 6 p.m. Wednesday, patrol officers conducted a traffic safety stop on Barachois Street in St John’s.
A 32 year old man was charged with driving while prohibited. He was also issued several summary offence tickets and was released to appear in court. His vehicle was impounded.
• At 12:50 a.m. Thursday, police were called to a disturbance in the Mundy Pond area of St. John's where a man and woman were both arrested.
A 31-year-old man has been charged with breaching court orders and a 22-year-old woman has been charged with breaching court orders, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.
Both were held in custody for a court appearance this morning.