Seniors evacuated from complex after fire

Louis Power
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

About 80 residents of Bishop Meaden Manor, a seniors home on McLoughlan Street in St. John's, were evacuated to a neighbouring building Wednesday night after a pot that was left on a stove caught fire, causing fire and smoke damage to the apartment and filling the building with smoke. 

Firefighters are clearing smoke from the building. Most of the residents were expected to be able to return Wednesday night, except for the residents who live in the unit where the fire took place. That unit sustained fire and smoke damage.

There were no injuries but some residents were checked by paramedics as a precaution.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Barbara Frampton
    May 02, 2013 - 11:48

    Great idea!!...'Stove minders' it does make sense.

    • Pat
      May 02, 2013 - 12:36

      I followed up Stove Minders and the Dragens' Den deal didn't work out; so the inventors are still trying to get the product to market. Amazing that there isn't something like this out there already.

    • rick dubeau
      May 29, 2014 - 12:20

      just read the story about the fire last may and the comments from readers. a quick update. i have found new partners and we are currently in the prototype development stage and will have the StoveMinder CSA/UL certified and ready for market early this fall. take care

  • Bob
    May 02, 2013 - 07:29

    Dragons Den had a fireman in Ontario trying to promote an item called "Stove Minder" that was designed to prevent stove fires. I don't know its status, but they made a deal with Arlene Dickerson. If it makes the marketplace, I would buy several for family members. The safety feature is a no-brainer