© — Photo by Andrew Robinson/The Telegram
Sofyan Boalag — Telegram file photo
A man charged with multiple violent sexual assaults in the capital city last fall had his case called in provincial court in St. John's today.
Sofyan Boalag appeared via video link from Her Majesty's Penitentiary, where he has been in custody since December of last year.
His legal aid lawyer, Tim O'Brien, told Judge Lois Skanes that they are looking into whether there is a conflict with his office, since some of the complainants in the case have been represented by the Newfoundland Legal Aid Commission.
He requested to have the case set over to allow them time to determine that.
Crown prosecutor Kathleen O'Reilly agreed to reschedule the case. It will be called again May 17.
O'Brien said they may be in a position at that time to enter pleas to the most recent charges.
Boalag, 33, faces close to two dozen charges stemming from allegations he sexually assaulted five women and one female teenager.
He's already pleaded not guilty to more than a dozen counts relating to three complainants.
Last month, police laid an additional eight charges in connection with three other complainants.
Boalag was arrested last Dec. 10 and denied bail Dec. 21.
His charges include sexual assault with a weapon, sexual assault causing bodily harm and sexual interference, robbery, carrying a concealed weapon and possessing stolen property.
He was picked up by police shortly after reports that a man had sexually assaulted women as they were walking home from the downtown area towards the city centre at night.
Other charges were laid in relation to reports he sexually assaulted a girl younger than 16 with a piece of wood in the LeMarchant Road area.