Comments

Comments

• Bud Davidge
    May 16, 2013 - 22:38

Noone but noone captured the Newfoundland outport character and essence like Ray did. My earliest recollection was in these Telegram pieces when I first left home and went to MUN in the sixties. It was the first time in my life that I saw my outport language in print and it was so perfect and hillarious. All of the turns of phrase and words that we spoke naturally were there on the written page exactly the way we talked. Many have tried to replicate the outport language in writing but few get it right. Ray did it with ease. His insight into the local character was incisive and brilliant. I doubt if we will see his like again. My deepest condolences to his family. God bless you Ray.

• Pam Frampton
    May 16, 2013 - 14:11

Ray Guy was the author of several books and collections of his columns, including You May Know Them As Sea Urchins, Ma’am (1975), That Far Greater Bay (1977), Outhouses of the East (1978), Beneficial Vapors (1981), An Heroine for Our Time (1983), This Dear and Fine Country (1985), Ray Guy’s Best (1987), and Ray Guy: The Smallwood Years (2008).

• JackieLogans
    May 16, 2013 - 13:10

Ray began writing his regular Telegram newspaper column after riding the rails across the Old Rock. It was a classic piece of journalism. After he dissected the Bullet train, it was only natural to shut down the passenger service across the island. Guy was indeed a brilliant wordsmith. Rest in Peace, Ray.

• Doug Rowe
    May 16, 2013 - 11:03

It was with a profound sense of nostalgic sadness that I learned of the passing of Ray Guy. I still have in my possession, a collection of his columns, clipped from the 'Telegram' circa 1968-70. He made me laugh, He made me think, He sustained me politically during the days of waiting for an end to 'dictatorship', by always keeping the feet of the O.L.F. close to the fire. His 'encyclopaedia of outharbor delights' was a particular favorite of mine, given that I am still a 'card carrying bayman'. I would like to see a collection of his works published someday. R.I.P. Ray

• Lois
    May 16, 2013 - 10:53

When i heard Ray had passed, i felt as if i had lost an old friend. I loved his humor and his passion for NL. He will be missed. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends .

• Bill Westcott
    May 16, 2013 - 09:58

Ray Guy was a writer. Not just a vendor of words. He was remarkable- a Newfoundland icon and he will be sadly missed. Rest in peace Ray. My condolences to his family.

• DON II
    May 16, 2013 - 09:01

I was pleased to see Ray Guy's photograph and his commentary column on the front page of The Telegram. Thanks to the Editor and the people at The Telegram for this very nice remembrance of Ray Guy.

• martin harty
    May 16, 2013 - 08:52

one of so many great articles by a great writer, I am sure there is a thirst for a daily dose of Rays colums and it would be a treat to print a repeat from time to time.

• Mary
    May 16, 2013 - 08:10

My deepest condolences to his family, I enjoyed his sense of humor,one of Newfoundland,s best. He truly was "One of a kind".