© file photo
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary received a report of a house fire at Burke Place in St. John's around 11:52 p.m. Sunday.
The St. John's Regional Fire Department responded and the fire was contained to the basement.
Police say there were no injuries reported and the damage was minimal.
Residents of the home were displaced for a period of time due to the smoke.
The RNC said arson is not suspected but the investigation is continuing.
The RNC responded to 150 calls in 24 hours up to early Monday morning.
• Around 11 a.m. Sunday, RNC patrol services received information that two youths reported missing last week may be in the Conception Bay South area. Police located the two missing youths and both were charged with breaches of court orders. They were detained at the youth centre until a court appearance.
• At 4 p.m. Sunday, RNC officers responded to a report of theft at a retail store in the Avalon Mall. A 31-year-old woman was arrested for theft under $5,000 and released to appear in court at a later date.
• At 4:30 p.m., officers responded to a another report of theft at a retail store in the centre of St John’s. A 38-year-old man was arrested for theft under $5,000 and released to appear in court at a later date.
• At 5 p.m. Sunday, RNC officers responded to the Conception Bay South area at the request of a resident, who believed his stolen travel trailer was in the area. Police located the trailer and seized it. The investigation continues.
• At 6:50 p.m. Sunday, police conducted a traffic safety stop on Mundy Pond Rd. A 25-year-old passenger, who was wanted on an outstanding warrant, was arrested and held in custody until a court appearance.