‘Dangerous’ dumpsite needs work: resident

Andrew
Andrew Robinson
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Plans still on to cap the remaining waste, provincial spokeswoman says

The former site of the New Harbour dump has been closed for almost four years, but there’s still work to be done to clean it up, and at least one local resident is worried the government is dragging its heels on finishing the job.

“We’re trying to find out for sure, are they going to cap the whole site or not?” said Alan Williams. “It looks to me like they’re not going to cap it.”

A spokeswoman for the Department of Environment told The Telegram Tuesday in an email “there has been no delay.” She added that it is still early in the new fiscal year.

The capping relates to small holes left in the ground of the former site, some of which are several feet deep. According to Williams, the original contract called for the entire site to be capped off.

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s dangerous to walk over it, because places there (are) collapsing,” he said. “There’s no sign there that says you can’t enter the landfill.”

Asked if any locals visit the former dumpsite, Williams said some people do.

“Their contract called for the removal of all hazards from the dump. Well, that’s a hazard.”

NDP  MHA  George Murphy toured the former dumpsite with Williams last week. Williams said moose tracks were spotted in the area during the visit.

 

“An animal don’t deserve to go down that,” Williams said.

“You can look down and you can see old wood, plastic pipe, pieces of angle iron, and everything sticking out of that.”

Murphy said further capping alone will not suffice for the area.

“Whether they are going to cap it by putting a layer of grass or something like that, I don’t know, but certainly they’re going to have to put some sort of growth over the top of it to prevent any soil erosion that’s happening there now.”

Murphy also suggests work is still needed to address the possible leakage of PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) along the west side of the former landfill site. Hundreds of tonnes of PCB-tainted soil and debris has been excavated from the dumpsite over the last few years.

An earlier contract handled covering waste at the former landfill.

In January 2012, the department told The Telegram a one-year settling period was required before work could begin to install engineered cover and vegetation.

At that time, the government said more testing would take place to determine if additional soil or debris needed to be moved.

 

arobinson@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TeleAndrew

 

Organizations: The Telegram, Department of Environment

Geographic location: New Harbour

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Concerned
    June 07, 2013 - 15:56

    The dog question is well fed,doesn't need to roam to beg or kill for food.Allan keeps a watch on the dump to make sure there isn't anymore contaminated waste getting into the drinking water or it could be alot worse than what it already is.Bulk garbage is picked up 4 times a year,why is it necessary to throw garbage in the woods?"WHAT A CRYING SHAME"Why do people want to ruin our woods or beaches?They just don't care about our environment.

  • Bayman
    May 29, 2013 - 09:58

    If Mr. Williams was concerned about an animal's welfare "“An animal don’t deserve to go down that,” Williams said.", then maybe he should take care of the dog that he has roaming the community in which he lives. Why anyone would visit a previous dump site is beyond my comprehension.

  • BAYMAN
    May 29, 2013 - 09:40

    There has also been "no delay" I suppose with Bulk Garbage sites. Government put the cart before the horse, instituted unsatisfactory bulk garbage disposal, leaving most residents outside St john's with nowhere to go.. except in the woods. Wake up Government time to reassess the contracts awarded.

  • carogers
    May 29, 2013 - 06:50

    “there has been no delay.” She added that it is still early in the new fiscal year. ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS! That would be a four year delay in FINISHING what you started; spokeswoman for the Department of Environment. That is the most arrogant response to an environmental issue I have ever heard.