Comments

Comments

• Rose
    June 08, 2013 - 09:00

I think this could be said about every elementary school in St. John's. I wish more parents were actively trying to fix the situation. This is why we're reading an article about this school and not ANY other school. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The parents need to get together, figure out some solutions, and fundraise.

• Say What?
    June 07, 2013 - 20:01

Admission to this school is quite restricted, and I quote: Vous souhaitez que votre enfant fréquente l’École des Grands-Vents? Votre demande sera acceptée si vous appartenez au groupe désigné, en terme juridique, comme celui des ayants-droit. Vous en faites partie si vous réunissez une ou plusieurs des conditions suivantes : votre première langue apprise et encore comprise, ou celle de votre conjoint(e) est le français vous avez fait vos études primaires en français au Canada l’un de vos enfants a reçu ou reçoit actuellement son instruction au niveau primaire ou secondaire en français au Canada. My children have been in French immersion for 10 and 12 years respectively and would love to have attended this school, but they don't meet the criteria. I say bully for these parents - they have a lovely new school for their children. Want something more, like a better outdoor play environment for your kids? Do what every other family in this province does - raise the money and do it yourself.

• Get Your Facts Straight
    June 07, 2013 - 14:00

VOTER. Please get your facts straight before you make comments like (must be a French-first-language family). My 2 children attend this school and our home is NOT a French-first language family. It drives me crazy here when people make comments without know the facts. Never assume anything, because you know what happens,

• Michelle
    June 07, 2013 - 13:00

What a pathetic complaint, perhaps Phillipe should take a walk through Booth and Bishops High schools to see real inadequacies (schools that should have been closed years ago!) Parents in the west end have been begging for a new high school for an eternity, its a real pity their playground is not perfect. Let the French parents fund raise for the playground equipment, much like other schools have to do for computers and smart boards, all the equipment required for teaching!

• BJK
    June 07, 2013 - 10:28

wow....we need a lot of things in Education in this province. The French now have their own board and their own school in St Johns and Happy Valley Goose Bay. I work in the school system and feel that we, the English, deserve the same as the French get. However....with a school population in St johns under 50 kids...that's right....a brand new school for 50 kids in the middle of the city.... I hope and pray that they don't get what they want this time. With Pippy Park and the Y along side....I don't think that there is a lack of recreational activities.

• barron
    June 07, 2013 - 10:06

Forget the french kids. Next door at cna we need some more parking spaces for parking in the winter.

• Voter
    June 07, 2013 - 09:53

Cry me a river! There are plenty of schools in this province, smaller, over crowded, with less than modern facilities who need money for basic services. But, as ever, I'm sure Governments will come through for this school. Never mind that you & I are prevented from sending our children to this school even if we wanted to (must be a French-first-language family); hows that for discrimination/human rights?

• Shyla
    June 07, 2013 - 08:45

I'm sure the government will give them whatever they want. Stay tuned for their new and improved play area after the government backfills the steep hill at the back. The only PUBLICLY funded school that can discriminate on admission (you must have french parents or family roots to attend). They also offer ALL DAY kindergarten while the rest of the provinces public schools don't. Then the cheapest after school care possible (funded by government???). What other perks do we not know about?? From the picture I can see grass, and a road that looks great for running up and down. Instead of caging them in, set those kids free! Set up pylons or barriers to the roads so that vehicles can't enter during kids playtime. The school I know has a large field (no fence) for the grades 4-6 and a fenced (but not caged against the building) playground for K-3. They also frequently play on the roads, on the bit of grass, and in the woods around the school building where there are NO FENCES (gasp).

• Stand in line
    June 07, 2013 - 08:25

My kids have attended a very old elementary school in St. John's for the past number of years and played on a parking lot as their 'outdoor space'. The school, along with the support of the parents are raising the funds to make it a more suitable play area with more/better equipment. The parents and administration of the French school might consider doing the same.

• Shifts??
    June 07, 2013 - 08:18

200 kids?? Do 2 shifts, 100 kids each. I doubt if outside time is more than 30 minutes but whatever it is, do it in 2 shifts, or 3 if necessary. My school playground was a parking lot. I don't remember fights because the teachers were out with us. Govt will study this to death, waste of time and money.

• Joey
    June 07, 2013 - 07:47

You could provide a positive example for the students - and instead of discussing how to bulldoze, infill, and further destroy the surrounding park, design a play area that is incorporated into the natural landscape. Children should be permitted to run up and down and play on hills, to touch trees, and engage with the natural world. Playgrounds should not be artificial flat spaces surrounded by chain-link fences. You build a school in the middle of a park, but you can't find space to play in? How ridiculous. Tear down the fence, hire enough staff to supervise properly, and engage with the park as a part of the school.

• Poor planning
    June 07, 2013 - 07:23

Who in their right minds builds a school without adequate play facilities? Oooh right, pretty much every school in St. John's.