Bicyclist struck by pickup truck

A male bicyclist was taken to hospital after his bike was struck by a pickup truck on Anspach Street Saturday afternoon. The bike was left lying on the nearby grass, almost under one of the front tires of the truck.

The man was conscious and placed on a backboard by paramedics and his injuries did not appear to be life threatening.

The truck's driver and witnesses to the incident were being questioned nearby.

Geographic location: Anspach Street

Comments

Comments

• Judy
    June 17, 2013 - 09:51

It seems that a good majority of drivers in Newfoundland ignore the seriousness of not using their signal lights. It's certainly no big effort but not to do so could certainly have severe consequences. And it's also rudeness and inconsideration to the other vehicle drivers around them.

• California Pete from NFLD
    June 17, 2013 - 09:28

In my oppinion turn signals or not the driver may have been following to close and not paying attention and also the driver has no sense or right to drive up on a sidewalk. Also I will have to say NO to that the bicyclers don't pay gas tax. Sorry

• correct info
    June 17, 2013 - 07:40

For all you smart people making comments at who was at fault, keep assuming your incorrect conclusions, it was an unavoidable accident with the unfortunate injury to the cyclist. The driver of the truck was on the sidewalk on account of the vehicle in the picture behind the truck stopped to turn into a driveway with no indicator. The driver of the truck braked to avoid the vehicle, unsuccessfully as it did clip the back passenger side with the front corner of their truck. There was a mechanical malfunction with the brakes which caused the truck to end up on the sidewalk. The cyclist themselves was trying to avoid the truck which was why the bike was going towards the grass hill. Fortunately the cyclist only had minor injury themselves. The cyclist just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Speeding was not a factor of the accident. The vehicle that was in front of the truck who stopped to turn into a driveway with no indicator, caused the driver of the truck to brake and avoid but while doing so had braking issues which caused them to end up on the sidewalk and striking the cyclist, who wasn't wearing a helmet, unfortunate chain of events. The driver of the truck is upset over striking the cyclist. Some of your comments jumps to conclusions on the one-sided incomplete story reported.

• James
    June 16, 2013 - 20:17

Cyclist pay taxes just like motorists. So the statement that it is not a cyclist's road is incorrect. It is everyone's road to share. More bikes on roads = less car traffic & less pollution. Because of this, whenever I see a cyclist on the road, I slow down and provide plenty of room for them. If it is not safe to pass, I wait until it is safe. I hope to see more cyclists in this town sooner than later. You never know when that guy/girl on the bike is your neighbour, colleague or family member, so please be safe.

• Marg
    June 16, 2013 - 19:04

Until we know the real facts, we cannot point blame. However, it was just last Wednesday that I was on Canada Drive in the beginning of the lane that turns left unto Cowan Avenue when a cyclist who was in the bicycle lane suddenly decided he/she would go down Cowan Avenue and turned right in front of me without even looking for traffic, either continuing on Canada Drive or in the turn lane. The light was green. If I had been a yard further ahead, I would have hit the cyclist; no fault of my own. This person didn't even have on a helmet.

• A motorist
    June 16, 2013 - 10:58

I agree with everyone here both motorist and also bicyclist has to realize that everyone has to share the road then there are the walkers that also have a need to get around,the pick up truck could have swerved from the bicyclist maybe that is why he was on the side walk,I drive everyday in the Waterford valley area try driving Waterford Bridge Rd,Water Street,SouthSide Rd.Everyday I drive my children to school this is a grown man on Waterford Bridge Rd on a bike that has no regard what so ever for other traffic,he holds up the traffic,school bus, drives with the traffic in between cars when it is so much easier and safer to takethe trail.these bikes have to realize that we heavy cars and trucks just cannot stop on a dime.But when we hit a bike it's always the cars fault,most of these bike riders are educated people teachers,doctors,lawyers but also think they own the roads and they think law suits if they get hit.Think with your head people it's just not your road.Teach your kidsthe rules of the road not how to made a buck when they get hurt because the driver is not always at fault.

• Pro Driver
    June 16, 2013 - 07:42

Are we sure the truck hit the bicycle, or was it the other way around? In a car-car accident the car who broke the rules (ie ran a stop sign or made an illegal turn) is said to have struck the other car. Bikes have to follow the rules of the road just like any other vehicle, powered or manual, and can be ticketed for infractions. I see bikes taking too many risks all the time: no signals when turning, not stopping at signs, on wrong side of road, cutting of cars, etc... However, I have yet to see the police pulling one over and preventing bad bikers from causing accidents. I was once rear-ended by a bike coming down over a hill so fast and running a stop sign that it could only stop by hitting my back bumper. While there were no injuries, it did leave a bad ding in my car and I could not collect the bad bikers info to get him pay for repairs. So, maybe the headline should read "Pickup Truck Struck by Bicyclist."

• Christopher
      June 16, 2013 - 10:37

Your comment is hilarious, especially when I read it after viewing the photos of the accident. The pickup truck was on the sidewalk. How could that be the bicyclist's fault? So the headline is just fine. Think before you comment, "pro driver".

• phil e
    June 15, 2013 - 23:50

I can't imagine being a cyclist in this city. First of all, drivers are crazy and give no regard to other cars..much less cyclists. Second, the roads here are in a constant state of disrepair and also very narrow. No room for cyclists. Third, the bikes lanes in this city are a running joke. You've all see the ridiculously dangerous lanes around town. I think it would be hazardous to your health to use those lanes. This is why my bike stays in my shed. I am afraid for my life.

• John
    June 15, 2013 - 20:57

The fact that the truck is on the sidewalk is alarming and finds fault I think.

• Fact checker
      June 16, 2013 - 11:32

Don't always jump to the worst conclusion. Maybe the bike cut off the truck and the truck had to swerve onto the sidewalk in hopes to avoid the bike or on coming traffic. Maybe the truck had to pull off the road to allow space for other traffic and emergency responders.

• Susan
    June 15, 2013 - 17:02

I live on Anspach Street, it's a death trap, drivers seem to think its a freeway...... Surprised not more accidents!

• Whaddaya At
    June 15, 2013 - 16:51

Gonna ride a bicycle on the streets of St. John's or Mount Pearl ?. Good luck with that.

• Pauline
    June 15, 2013 - 16:37

I certainly hope that this served as a wake-up call for the driver. He/she is lucky that the guy only had minor injuries. Drive more carefully and give greater attention to both cyclists and pedestrians for now on!!

• Christopher
      June 16, 2013 - 10:41

How do you know that it was entirely the driver's fault? I assume since you know so much, you must have been there to witness the accident. Maybe their steering locked up? Maybe a child or animal ran across the road and the driver swerved on to the sidewalk to avoid and the bicyclist was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Think before you comment. I am so tired of people always pointing blame when they don't know the facts.