Six-storey apartment building approved for Topsail Road

Bonnie
Bonnie Belec

...Continued from previous page

Ward 3 Coun. Bruce Tilley, whose ward includes Topsail Road, said he’s well aware the project meets the city’s development regulations, but residents still deserve to be told what’s going on.

“From my perspective it looks very good in terms of how it will impact the residents. I’m going to arrange a meeting with staff, developer and residents to identify any concerns they may have or how we may make this project more effective and palatable,” he said.

“I think that’s the reasonable and honest thing to do. But there’s no question about it, let me be upfront, that this particular project meets all of our regulations and standards, and I just want to keep the residents informed, and I think we owe it to them,” Tilley said.

The city’s acting director of planning, Ken O’Brien, said because the project is in a zone that allows an apartment building to be constructed, there is no decision for council to make in terms of zoning, so the meeting with residents will only be an information session to let people know what is happening.

It will not be a public meeting held for citizens to air their concerns about a project in the hopes of swaying council to approve or not approve a particular development.

However, as council approved the Topsail Road project, it said it was subject to three conditions, one of which is the information session for the residents of Holbrook Avenue — at which time residents will also be able to view the development plans.

Hann said even though the apartment building is a permitted use for Topsail Road, the developer will listen to residents, and if there are any concerns that need to be addressed, there may be some way to address some of the issues.

“I think this is a unique opportunity, and Killam is a national developer and all they do is develop apartment units, and I’m sure you’re going to see them come back with more. I think they have identified the market and the need for apartment units and I think we’re going to see more developers coming forward in the $800-$900 price range,” he said.

The other conditions include compliance with the requirements of the city’s departments of planning, development and engineering, as well as compliance with all aspects of the St. John’s Regional Fire Department.

bbelec@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Topsail Road.City council, Killam Properties

Geographic location: Topsail Road, Pleas, Holbrook Avenue

Comments

Comments

• Uhuh
    June 18, 2013 - 21:40

Big shock..more housing for people but it's too expensive. Who could have foreseen this? Not everyone is rich and not everyone needs welfare so for god sakes give people something decently priced.

• They're heeeere
    June 18, 2013 - 09:28

Chantal, you were saying something about the the cowardly, smug, self-important, ignorant, hate-spewing "crowd?"

• WORKING
    June 18, 2013 - 09:00

Its going to end up being a welfare complex! Atleast they won't have to get taxies to the mall, grocery store, NLC....Government will save a lot of money by putting them there! Makes sense to me! Go to the welfare areas and take a look for yourself, you will always find a few hanging out in front of their houses having a cold one and a smoke!

• Some working
    June 18, 2013 - 08:35

Some working people can't afford 1,000-1,200 a month so I hope govt doesn't put the welfare crowd in there, with NLC across a 4 lane road?????? They will need an overpass.

• Wild Rose
    June 18, 2013 - 07:37

My concern is what kind of people will be renting? Seniours are okay, but a lot of the welfare crowd rents and leave beer bottles lying around all day. Welfare gives people all sorts of money to rent and most of them spend it on drugs and cigaretts and alchol and house prices goes down. If people got real jobs they could buy hoses like the rest of us.

• WELFARE
      June 18, 2013 - 08:34

Listen here, That is the most judgemental comment I have ever heard in my life. Some people need welfare to survive. It is certainly not fair to judge every single person that receives social assistance just because of a few low lives. Some of us are single moms that have had a hard time in life and need this program until we can get back on our feet. Just because we don't have fancy cars and aren't able to buy our own homes.. You do not have to be that stereotypical to imply that we spend all of our money on alcohol, drugs and cigarettes just because we are the people on social assistance. I for one do not do any of those things and just because I'm on this program I am to be Judged ? You and people like you are the reason why society is the way it is today. People like you thinking your better than people less fortunate than you.

• JDawe
      June 18, 2013 - 08:58

You know, Its hard to listen to your point when it drips of social ignorance. I hope your point is that you want responsible people living in the area. For the record, welfare may have its pool of 'idiots' but so does my workplace. So does any group of people. I actually know of people on social assistance because they are victims of abuse or other dark things. And please, for the love of God, if you are going to complain about people and their perceived ignorance, proof-read your message. Perhaps I should go buy some HOSES like you can. Perhaps you meant HOUSES, but you must make some serious cash to be able to buy multiple assets such as that in the NorthEast Avalon Market. My point is nobody is perfect, and some people may actually need help.

• Chantal
      June 18, 2013 - 09:01

RIght on, Welfare! Thanks for standing up and putting things in perspective. Unfortunately you will have a hard time getting past the cowardly, smug, self-important, ignorant, hate-spewing "crowd."

• Christopher Chafe
      June 18, 2013 - 09:07

It is an attitude like yours that feel people MUST live in "hoses"(btw I hope you meant houses), that has gotten this city to the sad state it is in today.

• Some working
      June 18, 2013 - 09:23

To welfare: don't take it so personal. We all know that there are people on welfare through no fault of their own, i.e sickness, injury etc and it is temporary. We have heard of the stupid newfie but we are not all stupid. Parts of the city are rough but not everybody in the neighbourhood is bad. It's human nature to call a group a name when it doesn't apply to all. Sadly the welfare crowd that cause trouble are the ones we hear about and then everybody on welfare gets tarred with the same brush. I think "Wild Rose" must have had a bad experience with the "bad' welfare and doesn't want to see our tax dollars put them in a new building.

• To some working
      June 18, 2013 - 10:04

Firstly, the word is 'personally;' secondly, I'm having a hard time reconciling your statement that "...everybody on welfare gets tarred with the same brush" after saying "I hope govt doesn't put the welfare crowd in there, with NLC across a 4 lane road?????? They will need an overpass." YOU are the one holding the tarry brush. And for the record, there are people getting social assiatance because there simplyh are not enough jobs out there that can sustain a family.

• some working
      June 18, 2013 - 13:09

Yes i do hold the tarry brush. If you walk down the street and the first 5 short people punch you, wouldn't you expect the next short person to punch you?? It's human nature. I have seen and heard enough stories about people on welfare to know about the abuse of the system, but I know they are not all trouble. Sadly it is the trouble ones we hear about.

• Jennifer McCreath
    June 18, 2013 - 06:44

nice to see a development request for somewhere other than the already-crowded down town! with shopping and schools in area, village mall area seems smart place for growth!

• James Williams
      June 18, 2013 - 08:18

Not gonna help much though for the people who still have to commute to downtown. If this city was 100% behind urban growth they would be approving apartments closer to the core than this one. Now do not get me wrong I think this is wonderful that we are seeing a low-rise building developed in St. John's. I just wish it was more core-centric than where it is.