Newfoundland Liquor Corp. runs a little rum to Beijing

James
James McLeod

NLC hopes to help make Sino-Screech-in a success

...Continued from previous page

Spokeswoman Charlene Hounsell said that apart from Canada and in parts of New England, the NLC doesn’t have distributors to sell Screech around the world.

“It’s a problem, but we’re trying to increase our distribution,” she said.

Then Hounsell put the reporter on hold.

A few moments later, she came back and said, “We’re getting him a bottle.”

She said, “fingers crossed, it’ll make it in time (for Canada Day.)”

In the package that the NLC is mailing will also be some Screech certificates to certify the participants as honorary Newfoundlanders.

Boyce said he hopes the whole thing will provide at least a few Chinese citizens with a chance to learn a bit more about Canada.

“And I know some people in Newfoundland think the Screech-in isn’t … it’s not a longstanding tradition, but if it gets the place on people’s radar, why not?”

Hounsell said the NLC is “very pleased” to help.

jmcleod@thetelegram.com

Twitter: TelegramJames

Organizations: NLC, Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor

Geographic location: Beijing, China, Canada Moosehead Hong Kong New England Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

• J Boyce
    June 22, 2013 - 03:15

Thanks to James McLeod, The Telegram and NLC for helping us out in Beijing. I'm looking forward to sharing some Screech -- and poutine, Moosehead, PEI oysters and lots more -- with my Chinese friends and fellow expatriates here. If anyone is interested in seeing what else Canucks in Beijing will be serving for Canada Day here, check this list: http://www.beijingboyce.com/canada-day-in-beijing-2013/ All the best to everyone on July 1. Cheers, Boyce

• Yin Leung
    June 21, 2013 - 14:09

Spend a lot of time in China, do you Robert? Oh, please tell us more about your keen insight into this culture that doesn't have a clue about the rest of the world, Robert. They must be sooooo ignorant! I can't stand ignorance.

• Robert
    June 21, 2013 - 11:53

There is a reason, you can't get screech in CHINA, a reason they don't have a clue about the rest of the world ... IT:S COMMUNIST CHINA .... and an 8 day trade mission .... What a joke .... it's not called trade when you send all our raw materials to a place like that ... and all we get back is their junk .... Every time I hear of a government official going to do business in that hellhole , I picture them selling our souls to the devil .... Why do people ( governments ) insist on dealing with such a place ?

• Paul
      July 01, 2013 - 19:46

Have you ever been to China? I spent 10 years in Asia and though it isn't perfect neither is Canada. I am sure in your home you none of "their junk" like electronics, clothing, appliances, etc.

• david
    June 21, 2013 - 10:09

The highest liquor prices in all of Canada, and this is what they spend their time and effort doing...thanks NLLC! You're a real peach! Gouge us all as if we are simpletons, spend the money on underworked, surly employees and electronic wine-tasting dispensers (oooooh!), and turn your attention to more "interesting" things than improving your gawd awful, government-dictated "service".

• Chantal
      June 21, 2013 - 13:07

Actually, I've found the employees very knowledgeable, freindly, and extremely helpful. I suspect you take your snooty, miserable, holier-than-thou attitude in there and talk down to them. You only get what you put out.

• david
      June 21, 2013 - 19:42

Wow Chantal is pleased with the incompetent, overpaid, unionized goombahs at NLLC...what a surprise! Newfoundland "excellence".

• Christine Doyle
    June 21, 2013 - 09:53

From me personal, I think it's a great idea, Been a Newfie myself, why not introduce our traditions to other parts of the world, I think it will go over quiet well and everyone will be sure to enjoy, everyone that my family and I have screeched-in over the years I must say a good time was had by all, as the old saying goes, there's no party like a Newfie party lol.

• willyschilly
      June 24, 2013 - 14:28

BEING a newfie ???

• Corrinea Jones
    June 21, 2013 - 08:42

Fantastic, I was so happy to read that the screech is on the way, Happy Canada Day from Newfoundland

• wavy
    June 21, 2013 - 08:21

Didn't receive a reply to his email? You don't say! I've emailed my MHA, Terry French, four times in three years regarding various issues in our district and haven't gotten a single reply confirmation of receipt or so much as a bare minimum "thank you for your email, we'll look into it". Nothing. I have no idea if he ever saw my email. It's beyond bad etiquette, it's offensive. If you didn't read the news and know better, you'd swear govt. didn't check or use email. What are they all carrying Blackberries for, I wonder?, he asked facetiously. I guess if there's nothing in it for them, they don't bother. Great representation, wha? Guess who didn't get my vote in the last election? Sigh....moving on...re: the article; rum diplomacy and booze currency in general are wonderful things, aren't they? Passing the "peace pipe" does wonders for international relations as well, as I'm sure the people of The Netherlands, Denver, Oregon and California have discovered.