Comments

Comments

• Steph
    July 03, 2013 - 01:38

Hello to all, I am a very close friend of this girl who you are all referring to as her. First of all her name is Cindy. I would really like to say I am so sorry this has happened to a beautiful person. Cindy was the type of person who could really light up a room with her smile and big warming personality. Cindy would provide a warm loving home for friends and boarders whoever at the time needed a loving home or just simply a roof over their head. They, in turn would soon become a dear friend of her. She laughed often and loved everyone. She loved music and dancing with friends. She was a mom of three boys two of which were very young 1 and 2.and a 15 yr old. As I read all of your comments I am conflicted in the opinions of this whole incident from media to timing. I knowing more details of the accident then most of you on here, I have taken a look at these photos, why? I think everything has its negative and positives and things to learn. Well for me looking at these photos or any other tragedy that is displayed, brings me closer to the person or persons involved. In this case with Cindy, I am looking for reality: did this really happen? Did she suffer? Did she really leave this world like that? We all have our own individual reasons for wanting or not wanting to see such horrific photos. I know Cindy well and she would want all of us to learn and love. Cindy and I both suffered personal family tragedy at the same time in our lives and consoled each other though the last 20 yrs. We believed in life after death, we believed that there were no coincidences. We believed there were signs if you were open minded and knew what to look for. The signs are all around us. Despite your religious beliefs. So you ask! what's my point? This site, these comments shouldn't be about what we should see or how early. The point is, it happened and we all want answers to why. Death occurs its a fact of life. No matter how it happens and if tragic like this we sometimes want to see what happened so we can learn, or just simply ask why or try and find some common sense to something that isn't so common. Or want to know the person and console their family and friends by writing a message or saying a small prayer. This here should not be about the media or the reasons why or when should things be printed. This should be only about bringing us closer sharing stories of love ones or even opening a door you didn't know was before you. I did more than look at theses photos I traveled home to Newfoundland form Ottawa. I listened to stories, I reflected many of my own. I cried many tears and still today. I stopped at the scene the day after the funeral where I still don't know why, there was nothing to be done it was done. Why I ask, well I received my sign. I would not have if it wasn't for these pictures I would not have know where to stop. We can ask all kinds of questions as to why, why this happened why did they media post these pictures. The answers can only be answered by us. Keeping communication, never ask why but take what is given. don't take time for granted and the people we love. So I hope you all put aside opinions, never question. Be open to love and understanding and the signs that surround you. As for Cindy, may you continue on your spiritual journey and know I will miss you here but for sure will see you again. For all of you please let this be a lesson learned. Its ok to care. Its ok to bring reality here, its ok to learn. I am thankful for this outlet, the technology because now you know a little bit about Cindy. Most of all to know how Cindy lived and how she was so loved and how she loved. I pray for your happiness and understanding and openness, may you love and smile and learn. Thank you Bless you all Stephanie

• Marsha
    June 30, 2013 - 07:18

Hello, I am a family member of this wonderful, beautiful person. To say it is a tragedy is an understatement. For those who say that posting pictures of injured individuals is a line of work, or an acceptable thing to do in our rapidly electronic advanced world....if it were your family member, would you take and post that picture? Thank you for your well wishes.

• Curious
    June 26, 2013 - 12:23

So the nay sayers are saying this is a horrible way to hear about this accident. But is there any good way to receive tragic news like this? One way or the other, the family/friends of the poor soul who lost her life in this accident will have to find out. Whether it's through a phone call, a news report or facebook. It doesn't matter how you find out - it won't change the devastation or make it any easier of a pill to swallow.

• Mike
    June 26, 2013 - 11:47

Keith has a job to do as well, if he doesn't he will find himself on line looking for work........don't blame Keith, it's his job. My thoughts go out to the family who lost a loved one.

• holly
      June 26, 2013 - 18:28

well keith doesnt have to provide pictures with the deceased lying in the middle of the highway, wheres the respect aroud here. if it was your loved one youd be bitching and complaining.

• Jenny
    June 26, 2013 - 11:27

The media's job is to report the news at it happens. It's not always pleasant, and people will never agree with how far is too far. However just to put this in perspective, I remember being in one of the US states not so long ago where there was a large accident, and there was live TV coverage as bodies and survivors were being pulled from the wreckage. Is this over the top? I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

• Paul
    June 26, 2013 - 10:49

It is social media people. I don't agree with it, however, you are the ones that can stop it. Don't use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc,... If you don't use these sites you won't see the pic's. I personally do not use any of these sites and today was the first I saw pictures of the terrible accident. Technology has its downfalls and this is one of them. I feel sorry for the family and pass along my condolences.

• wavy
      June 26, 2013 - 13:09

Amen, brother. I know this deviates a bit off-topic but I too refuse to use social media sites for reasons such as yours. I refuse to get sucked into subscribing to a social media in order to enter a contest, follow a journalist or "like" an entertainer. My cousin even sent out her wedding invitations via Facebook, or so I was told (no odds to me, one less gift to buy). I do not have a so-called "smart" phone or even a cell phone and I get along in the world just fine. This opens me up to criticism and name-calling such as old-fashion, being out of the loop, not being with the times, etc. However, I am a self-confessed news junkie, I use email, I frequent internet news sites to gather information and consider myself well-informed and abreast of current affairs both locally and globally; all without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Iphones dominating my life. When it comes to technology, social media and the like, I think people would be well advised to stop every once in a while and consider: just because the technology exists and I can do something, should I? Users beware.

• wavy
      June 26, 2013 - 13:32

How hard/ expensive would it be to stick up a piece of plywood with "BEACH CLOSED" written on it? Totally irresponsible and, in my opinion, criminally negligent.

• sammy
    June 26, 2013 - 10:45

It is a true tragedy, thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends, But to say that putting the pictures up is shameful is not right. They are doing the job that the public is looking for. the first thing anybody does when they here about an accident is turn on the news or log on to the internet to see what has happened. if that isn't true how come you guys are on here.

• Joe
    June 26, 2013 - 02:37

Tonight while watching the first part of the news I caught a eye to this story and thought of my friend as this looked just like my friends car. I became anxious and started calling with no results. When the news started again at 6 my husband watched with me and we both identified the car involved as being the car belonging to my beautiful friend who lost her life today. My husband left right away for the hospital where our fears were confirmed. Today was unfortunate in many horrible ways but to see these pictures so soon after the accident were awful. We had no way of getting in touch with family members and were completely panicked. I understand you have a story to report but please tell your story and save the pictures for later on...even the next day. I can't tell you how long the hour it was between seeing the news and confirming it ourselves. When next of kin were still processing this and maybe not ready to make phone calls.

• Newfie
    June 26, 2013 - 02:32

I also have to agree with Tammy.... Social Media is by far the worst, when my child passed away that is how my family and child's father found out was through social media (Facebook) and it was not easy on them... Some people just don't think before try act.... The evenin telegram souls be ashamed of themselves.. Have respect for the family and friends who lost a special loved one... Thoughts and prayers are with the young ladies family... R.I.P

• Donna
    June 25, 2013 - 21:57

Reporting the fact there was an accident was important in helping to re-route traffic ,thereby ensuring the safety and accessibility of the first responders... a valid public service announcement. However, posting the pictures online,before there would have been time for notifying family and friends was truly heartless. In this case,someone in the chain along the Telegram chain of command, should have made a decision to put respect and compassion before sensationalistic journalism.

• Just Saying
    June 25, 2013 - 21:54

First let me say, this is certainly not the way I personally would like to find out about a loved one, but Mr. Gosse is only doing his job here folks, bringing us the news as it happens, the publisher as so aptly critiqued here, is the quick to make it pubic one. this images belong in the paper but not until all the next of kin have been notified. Two reasons: 1 maybe just maybe somebody will see them and get some sense and understand, it's not worth it it is better to be 10 minutes late than end up like this hope my daughter is reading this she drives like a banshee, 2. to remind us all that when we get behind the wheel we have the responsibility of every life on the road not just our own. BUT please give families time please

• All Opinions Count
    June 25, 2013 - 19:52

All comments are worthy of reflection and consideration; but, sadly, with instant social media in addition to traditional media, it will be broadcast one way or another. A sad and tragic accident indeed; hopefully it wasn't the result of carelessness, speed or cell phone or texting distraction. Slow down, get off the phones, focus to the important task of driving and take a deep breath; most accidents are avoidable. Speedy recovery to all involved and condolences to the family and loved ones on the premature passing of someone very special.

• Tammy
    June 25, 2013 - 19:31

For those of you who feel it's fine to publish photo's like this, by all means that's your opinion, but put yourself in the shoes of this woman's family and tell me you would feel the same if this is how you found out. For those posting the photo's, have some decency and at least wait enough time for the next of kin to be notified. Nobody wants to find out of a fatality this way, I know I wouldn't.

• Greg
    June 25, 2013 - 18:33

I will bet the people complaining about the thoughtless pictures still clicked through them all ;)

• Ang
    June 25, 2013 - 18:05

No doubt there should be a 24 hour period before posting pictures. I have seen this right away on this website, and I'm sure that extended family have not heard about it. This is a sad way for getting your story out there "The Telegram". Just telling about the story would have be sufficient. What happened to the days when Social Media didn't exist? At least you could read about it in the telegram the next day, not seconds after the accident happened w/ pictures. Have some respect for the families & may god bless them. Shame on you telegram, shame on you.

• Annette
    June 25, 2013 - 17:08

It's news, devastating yes, but it is news and the visual is part of it. Sadly, I expect to see a lot more of it. Drivers need to realize that they are in control of a deadly weapon when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. Put down your cell phones, watch your speed and pay attention to your surroundings......it's the only way to slow the rate at which these disturbing images pop up in the news. Heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of this young woman.

• Bob
    June 25, 2013 - 16:59

Absolutely ridiculous that you should show any of these pictures, but the one of the motorhome ??? Was there really a need ? Think of the family you thoughtless people :(

• Gena M.
    June 25, 2013 - 16:34

I have to agree with Tammy. I'm willing to push aside the rubber necker in me so as to not take the chance that this is how I would find out about an accident that robbed me of my loved ones.

• MJ
    June 25, 2013 - 16:28

So tragic, god speed..

• Christa
    June 25, 2013 - 16:26

I agree with the last comment. The family might not even be notified yet and there are pictures on the telegram which are now being shared along with the story on Facebook.. We all know how often people are on Facebook and this would be a terrible way to find out about a loved one. Please avoid using photos that can identify the people involved.

• Al
    June 25, 2013 - 16:18

It's sad that another person lost a life. But no one sees this as a warning, sure the car lost control but what about speeding, so many people do it on the CBS highway, as well as the TCH too. These big trucks are always speeding also picking up speed as they are going downhill, seen it many times, but also cars do it too. It's scary and careless, drivers talking on the phones, texting, etc. and yet no one stops it or even reports them. Maybe people some people I might say go back to drivers school and learn the rules of the road!

• C.B.S.
      June 26, 2013 - 14:32

Just to add to your comment AL. Not all truckers as you call them are speeders. I have not seen many people driving these big motorhomes at an excessable speed. By the way the motorhome was not in the accident by choice. He was on the opposite side of the highway. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would not like to be in his shoes now. I feel for him and I also feel for the family who lost their loved one. Just saying.

• Rob
    June 25, 2013 - 16:14

Tammy, why not? That's the whole point of the news and if you don't like it, don't read.

• ginger
    June 25, 2013 - 15:54

I would have to agree with Tammy, it is very disturbing to think the family isnt even aware of the accident at the point of publishing! Very disheartening and very unproffessional of The Telegram to even allow this! Please God, I never have to find out through means of social media about a fatality in my Family, if so...someone will be held accountable!

• Karen
    June 25, 2013 - 15:36

To post a picture advertising the last moments of someone's life is just disturbing. Tammy is right, news postings should not include pictures of fatal accident scenes. Have some decency. My deepest apologies to the family who lost a loved one... I saw my cousins car over turned in a ditch on the news before I knew he had been killed... should be ashamed.

• R
    June 25, 2013 - 15:36

Tammy, on the other side of that argument - it gives the other 500,000 Newfoundlanders the opportunity to look and verify that it is not there family! Those photos are mild in comparison to what American, and even mainland Canadian media sites display.

• Christa
      June 25, 2013 - 17:05

The other side comment does not make it ok. We should look at what is more sensitive for a family who have lots the loved one and not compare what is done in other places.

• sam
    June 25, 2013 - 15:34

tammy i think you should simmer down . no names were released so no one is going to know who the victim was .. i feel for the familys involved in this it looks like a horriable accident. hope everyone else involved has a speedy recovery and may the poor woman who passed rest in peace

• Gloria
    June 25, 2013 - 15:00

I concur with Tammy, totally. I have female relatives out in CBS and my when I initially saw the vehicle, I felt like I could not breathe until that second, longer look. Where is your compassion???

• Joe
    June 25, 2013 - 14:50

You did this in December too and this is how the family found out their love one passed away. This is not acceptable!

• Reader
    June 25, 2013 - 14:45

I understand reporting on an accident, however I would not want to be friends or family of the victim, showing such pictures of an accident scene should be withheld until you are CERTAIN that ALL family, friends etc have been notified. Since this just happened it is unlikely they have been.

• Tammy
    June 25, 2013 - 14:10

Let me ask you this. Why does the Telegram, as well as other sites, publish pictures of a reported FATAL accident so soon after it has happened. No doubt the family hasn't even been notified yet, and now there's a chance they will find out through some sort of social media. You should be ashamed to have this on your website. What if it were YOUR wife, mother, sister, or child KEITH GOSSE? How would you feel?

• Lori
      June 25, 2013 - 15:17

That's what happened to my friend this winter. Her daughter was killed in a car accident and she saw it on Facebook on the local newspaper site just an hour after it happened, She recognized the car and her daughters jacket and that's when she knew it was her. Imagine being the parent or loved one and finding out that way. I teach my kids "do onto others as you would want them to do to you" maybe media should consider doing this as well. At least wait til the family have been notified.

• wavy
      June 25, 2013 - 15:18

I think it's highly insensitive and inappropriate as well to post pictures of a fatal accident so soon after is has occurred, but don't shoot the messenger. Keith Gosse is just on the scene taking the pictures; he's a photo journalist and only doing his job by reporting on and telling a news story with pictures. It's someone else's decision at the Telegram to put them up on the website so soon after the accident. Whoever that person is has exercised very poor judgment in this situation and deserve the criticism. There should be a 24 hour grace period for such things.

• Dianne
      June 25, 2013 - 15:34

I agree totally with Tammy........ It is not right to post pictures so early after an accident