Comments

Comments

• Richard
    July 02, 2013 - 04:18

Whilst out fishing from Brixham to the skerries, the 'streak' of raw sewage ran the entire length of the coast around 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide. Fish finders are going mad, thinking that there are shoals of fish near the surface, when in fact the concentration of feaces is responsible. This concentration would be too much for gilled animals to deal with and will be affecting our coastline for many years, even if it is stopped today! Remember that raw sewage contains many chemicals as well as waste matter!..

• Illegal
    June 26, 2013 - 20:11

Isn't it illegal to dump toxic contaminants of any kind into a pond, lake, river or bay??? (Or at least in most provinces) This is not signage issue, this is an environmental issue and should not be happening, period.

• Rob
    June 26, 2013 - 15:11

As a new resident of Torbay I am so sad and embarrassed to hear about this. I only recently found out about this issue as well and have since told family and friends about it (all from the St. John's area) whose common response is, "What? Really?". Issues and media coverage like this are painting ever growing black eye on the town and its growing tourism campaign. The town and its mayor need to be accountable for improper signage and warnings to people using this beach! Not to mention that this beach is a historic site and the town can't even market that due to the sewage issue.

• Concerned Torbay resident
    June 26, 2013 - 13:40

Hearing this story makes me very angry, but yet so sad for these people. Residents from Torbay who grew up in this area are aware of the sewage running into the ocean, however Torbay has growth quite a bit over the years and there are many people who are not aware of it. As a parent, I can only imagine how this mother felt and worried especially for her child. Torbay town council has been made aware of this issue by many residents and have been told to address the issue with signs to make people aware. They continue to ignore the situation and I am so sick of hearing Mayor Codner passing the buck all the time back on the government!! It is HIS responsibility to look after the residents of this town and keep them informed, which IS NOT being done. I had to make some people aware of the situation last summer, when I saw them on the beach having a BBQ, and this was when the sewer pipe was broken, so there would have been a lot more waste washing up on the beach. They would not have been there had they known! I am just hoping that we get a clean sweep of our current council in Sept., as we have gotten nothing in the past 4 years with our current council.

• Whammond
    June 26, 2013 - 13:28

There should be complete signage that dictates in graphic detail that the sewage pipe is only 200 feet away and that our beach is contaminated. It is irresponsible to put up a sign that you have to question, such as the one that claims enjoy the beach at your own risk. One would take that sign in saying that there is no lifeguard or unexpected under tow or whatever, but with cleanish looking water, it is very decieving to have no signage about the Raw sewage. How many people are going to get sick from this, before the town changes the signage up and makes everyone aware of the dangers of our not so pristine beach.

• john
    June 26, 2013 - 13:18

As a retired civil engineer I can assure you that Torbay is not the only community with raw sewage being dumped into the ocean. As far as I know every community that dots the entire conception bay area is doing the same. At a minimum some are 'treating' their sewage first. Would not eat anything coming out of those waters. Torbay needs to go a step further and either post signage as to what is exactly occurring on the beach or gate it off. I applaud your good parenting to follow up medically. The next step I would take is to call my lawyer.