Comments

Comments

• Anthony
    June 30, 2013 - 10:48

Thundershirts will work for some dogs or will at least decrease the level of anxiety. I really exercise my dogs the day of known fireworks (July 1st and December 31st), put on the Thundershirt in advance, we all go to the basement rec room and make things normal by having the tv on, etc. Thundershirts come with a money back offer during the first 30 days! Try them. For those of you with neighbours that randomly shoot off fireworks have you spoken to the neighbours? Our neighbours love our dogs and now just let us know in advance if they will be having fireworks and when.

• California Pete from NFLD
    June 27, 2013 - 12:49

Non Dog owners and others who just don't care don't get it. Please come and see my little 10 lb dog go throught the mototions when fireworks go off. It's total pandemonium and he vibeates like no one one can't explain how bad he feels

• Dog Owner
    June 27, 2013 - 10:28

I HATE fireworks and just for this purpose. I have two medium/large breeds myself, the oldest is not afraid of anything but my younger one is terrified of fireworks/thunder/loud noises...I've just purchased a Thunder Shirt, this is supposed to have calming effects on Dogs (without the Drunken Dog side effects), I have done some research and I have friends who have raved about it...I put it on her last night and it seem to have a calming effect so I'm hoping that it will do the trick for the time It's needed!

• Lee
    June 27, 2013 - 10:05

Not that I am not sympathic to an animal's sensitivity to noise and not saying that this is the case for those that have posted comments, but I have two neighbours with 3 dogs each (the limit for our town) and they do not seem to mind the noise that their animals create when they put them outside. This does not happen on special occasions but more than a few times everyday, all hours of the day and night. So if a neighbour wanted to put off fireworks one or two evenings a year, I don't think that you have the right to complain.

• Karen
      June 27, 2013 - 13:37

Sorry to hear you have such inconsiderate neighbors, but nice that you are sympathetic to the dogs' distress anyway. As a dog owner myself, I find it frustrating that so many people don't care how much they disturb others, whether by leaving their dogs to bark or by running noisy machinery, music, etc.

• HL
    June 27, 2013 - 09:06

I think fireworks should be banned on people's properties and at certain festivities during the year at particular places. I have a puppy that is totally scared to death when she hears fireworks-she tenses up and hides. It isn't fair to pet owners to allow this to go on in people's back yards and any time of the day or night.

• Ryan
    June 27, 2013 - 07:59

I have 2 small puppies, and it really iratates me when you have what I will call morons, setting off fireworks from their back yard, right next to my house. And they will set them off all hours of the night. Newfoundland should adopt the same law, restrict people to a certain area and time to set off their fireworks.

• Robert
    June 27, 2013 - 06:42

As a dog owner of a dog who just loses all control during fireworks I do know that at the end of the day the noise won't hurt the dog. I try to keep the dog in a secluded area of the house.......the basement bathroom seems to work best. But the best thing you can do is to make sure your dog has a collar and contact info on the collar. We are all dog owners so after July 01 or Dec 31 just be on the lookout for that lost dog in your neighborhood, catch the poor thing and do what it takes to reunite it with its owner. You will have the pleasure of making the owner very happy indeed.......way better than a free coffee!