Ground breaking to build ‘memories for generations’

Rebekah Ward

Her Honour Patricia Fagan (left), patron donor Elinor Gill Ratcliffe, campaign chairwoman Mary Walsh and Mayor Dennis O’Keefe break the ground for the new ice skating trail at Bannerman Park.

This morning at 10:30, officials broke ground on the ice skating trail at Bannerman Park.

Campaign chairwoman Mary Walsh pointed to the value of investing in such a popular site.

“It’s served all classes of Newfoundland society, from the richest to the very poorest, (which makes it) a real, valid, profound public space,” Walsh said.

Walsh was one of four shovel-bearers along with Her Honour Patricia Fagan, Mayor Dennis O’Keefe and patron donor Elinor Gill Ratcliffe.

“It’s all about memories,” O’Keefe said.

“We are here, and we are so interested in the park, because we all have memories of this park. ...What we’re doing now is building memories for generations yet unborn.”

Fundraising for the trail is now complete. Its construction is well under way, and due to be completed in November or December of this year.

Organizations: Bannerman Park Ice Skating Trail, Newfoundland society

Comments

Comments

• Lisa
    July 04, 2013 - 20:31

Edmund, why so bitter? Are you jealous that your picture is not in the paper??? Please reconsider going to the Garden Party.

• Edmund
      July 05, 2013 - 19:32

Hey Lisa, I've had my picture in the paper more times than I care to remember but not for playing politics or trying to drum up recognition like the 3 clowns. Can't reconsider the garden party as I have no time to waste hobnobbing with bum boys and bum girls. Enjoy your tea and crumpits. You sound like someone looking for any nreason to get out for a free meal and feel important around the wanna be aristocratic groupies

• East ender
    July 04, 2013 - 19:27

You are so right Edmond,get people invalid who actually grew up in that park,as for our Mayor another photo op just like when he sided with the operator of Long Dicks,he may half taken a bite of the sausage,just like digging the hole nothing genuine about him at all,doing what makes him look good.

• M. Atkinson
    July 04, 2013 - 19:14

Nice to see this skating trail. I grew up on Military Road. In my day the City used to freeze over the baseball diamond and everyone would gather there to skate. We actually used to put on our skates at home, then put the protectors on the blades, and walk to the park. Parents and children would head there after school and those playing hockey were polite enough not to take up all the space. In later years when they paved some of the paths in the park, we used to roller skate. I do have to say, it was more fun that way than I expect a 'figure eight' will be.

• Poor ole Edmund
    July 04, 2013 - 16:36

Poor ole Edmund. Must be a heavy to be carrying such a grudge. He probably stays awake at night thinking of negative things to say, but certainly not doing anything worthwhile for the community. Just takes cheap jabs at those who do support the community.

• Edmund
      July 05, 2013 - 19:25

Hey Poor Ole, nothing heavy here and I sleep just fine and it isn't hard to find negative things to say about them as they do a great job in providing lots of material for those of us who really know them. It just makes me want to puke when I see such arrogant clowns like Fagan, Walsh and O'Keefe being perceived as doing something good for the community, when all they are interested in is filling their own egos. But I guess people like you, who have little else to do but to falsely admire these fakes, don't know them and how they operate in their self centered worlds. Wake up and see what is really happening in our city. Oh, by the way, fyi, I have spent thousands of hours giving to my community, doing volunteer work and assisting the less fortunate and youth of our city and province but you won't see me looking for press like this bunch of clowns. I prefer to do this quietly, like many more thousands who do much more than these 3, simply for the personal satisfaction I get for making a difference. You should try it sometime.

• Edmund
    July 04, 2013 - 14:17

It is nice to see Elinor Gill Ratcliffe as a patron doner for Bannerman Park now or at any time. As for the other 3 clowns; too bad they don't have a backhoe there so they could make the hole big enough for all 3 of them to get in. Fagan - absolutely nothing honorable about her or her self centered side kick. Walsh, simply one of the most ignorant people around and O'Keefe, well once a clown always a clown, what else can one say. Why is this such a big deal? This park and all the others in this city are the responsibility of our City Hall. They should be making these places better with the ever increasing taxes they bill us for every year (over 40% increse the past 2 years). It's about time we put responsible people in place to do this instead of all the yuppie yupps like Fagan, Walsh and O'keefe looking to get their pictures in the paper and make themselves feel more important than they really are. Fortunately a lot of us can see right through them and their disgusting charade. See you at the garden party...not.