Comments

Comments

• James
    July 11, 2013 - 06:36

Having gone through 9 years at MUN and 50k in student loans I can not support a grant system, which might be a shocker to most. The fear of massive students loans for the education that "I" wanted was enough to make we work hard, get MUCEP jobs every term, work every weekend at a part time job, and put myself through 4 semesters entirely. I ended up working in the US to help pay off my student loan faster...I did it in 7 years, and I could have done it in 5 if i really wanted to. I received no help other then student loans from the government. What I did see in my time at MUN were a significant amount of splurging on wants, not needs, from student loans.....stereos....new clothes...downtown activities. I think we all take things more seriously if we are financially invested in them....but having a free ride with a grant system? Not something I would support. You want to make the big bucks....earn it...don't expect it.

• Student
    July 07, 2013 - 19:10

Already having a student loan from 4 years of University I know the time it takes to pay the debt off, but it was an education I wanted and worked for and with the assistance of a student loan was able to pay for. I can't say I agree that student loans should be eliminated and education made free, when having to pay back a student loan a person takes their education seriously and works hard as to not throw away their own money. Why give 17 and 18 year olds taxpayers money so that they can MAYBE obtain an education? Support should continue, but not be given the chance to be abused, wouldn't it be better to offer grants once the education was completed, or at the end of a successful term, or even fight to eliminate interest on the loans?

• gord
    July 05, 2013 - 13:59

This can't help the province unless these students sign contracts to work here for a set term. Otherwise free education and off to bigger places with us holding the debt.

• Kilgore Trout
    July 05, 2013 - 10:14

Those making comments stating that the public funds shouldn't help pay for post secondary education are terribly misguided. Increased education levels means more people working in higher income jobs, increasing tax revenue to help pay for better roads, healthcare etc (the stuff everyone always complains is inadequate) and decreasing reliance on social services. Plus, less student loan debt means more people have more money to spend and pump into the economy. The public benefits enormously from subsidizing post secondary education.

• Sasker
    July 05, 2013 - 08:59

There is no respect for things that are not earned, wouldn't be long before the grants would be abused. Can Newfoundland afford to educate employees for the rest of Canada--that's where lots will be going

• darren
    July 05, 2013 - 08:31

FIL-E....if you think the PC's are low now, wait until they start hard-balling the unions including NAPE, CUPE, Nurses and Teachers. Its going to happen big time this fall and I know that just about every family in this province has someone in one of those unions.

• dan
    July 05, 2013 - 08:30

Ah yes Fred why should you support the future, why should you support those that will support YOU in your old age! Tuition for NL born students should be FREE!

• Sean Flynn
    July 05, 2013 - 08:17

What about the ones who have already left school and have huge debts to pay? Grants stopped coming in the mid nineties, now they're coming back. If you went to school in the middle, tough luck, thems the breaks. Work nights at Macdonalds to pay it off.

• Fil-E
    July 05, 2013 - 07:34

Only halfway through their mandate and the bad news doesn't stop. How much damage will be done before we get to oust Stunderdale and crew in 2015? Dunderdale and her friends will go down in history as the WORST GOVERNMENT EVER!

• Fred Penner
    July 05, 2013 - 06:33

I do not agree that I should have to pay for your education.

• Taxpayer
      July 05, 2013 - 08:33

I agree. From kindergarten to post-grad sutdies, the cost of all education should be borne by parents and students alone as they are the only ones who benefit from their education.

• Mister Thump
      July 05, 2013 - 12:12

It's the oil, stupid.

• joe
      July 05, 2013 - 12:17

I agree with Michael. As with the environmental review, there should be money put aside to do road repair knowing this is going to be an issue. My lord it seems Ms. michael and Danny Dumaresque are the only people with a finger on the pulse of Newfoundland.