Comments

Comments

• Dropping barriers
    July 10, 2013 - 12:52

I disagree with all the nay sayers....I wanted to go to law school after my undergrad but quite frankly couldn't afford it. Had there been a school in NL I could have attended and would have gone. Contrary to popular belief, most lawyers aren't raking in big dough and the few who do make it to the top, like any profession, have to sacrifice a lot to get there. My 2 cents.

• Anna
    July 10, 2013 - 07:55

Agree with you M.. I will certainly remember this total waste of money the next time I get a request from MUN for a donation. The last thing we need here is more lawyers.

• H
    July 09, 2013 - 20:58

I guess our fine city laywers wants to be associate prof's at MUN along with the extra pay cheque

• MUN Alumna
    July 09, 2013 - 19:14

A waste of effort and money. No, Memorial does not need a law school.

• Randolph Crocker
    July 09, 2013 - 17:43

Unlimited taxpayer contributions can be used to corner the world market in enrollment, and create the world's poorest taxpayers. A Newfoundland and Labrador universtity would be better off finding a core or core(s) of excellence rather than providing everything for everyone. Look at the hordes of debt laden Newfoundland and Labrador graduates that are unemployed or underemployed. It does create great jobs for those lucky people working at the university.

• JK
    July 09, 2013 - 16:11

The very idea of a law school at MUN is nonsense. The province does not need more lawyers, and the university is stretched as it is in terms of space and resources. And where will the money come from? MUN has to stop trying to be another Dalhousie - while running on a deficit.

• M
    July 09, 2013 - 15:42

Where did this Board at MUN come from? First they agree to the waste of 10s of millions of dollars through the purchase of a dilapidated old building (the former Battery Hotel) that will cost them more to renovate then it will to build a new building on the free land they own on campus. Now a Law School?! If we need more lawyers in Newfoundland and Labrador simply make a deal with an existing Law School in Atlantic Canada or elsewhere (there are a few) to fund some extra seats in their existing college. Why create an entire new faculty, administration and infrastructure expense for a few extra graduates a year???!!! When all you ever do is sign the back of a cheque it is less likely you will be concerned about the front. These guys are getting out of hand.