Man sues Rogers after dispute over bill

Daniel
Daniel MacEachern

A St. John’s man is suing Rogers Communications for more than a quarter of a million dollars, claiming a dispute over his bill wound up lowering his credit score and derailed his grandson’s mortgage.

“If you’re to quote me, you’ll have more expletives deleted than words,” Thomas Badcock said Thursday about the lawsuit.

The trouble for Badcock began, he says — in a statement of claim filed with Newfoundland Supreme Court on June 28 — in May 2012, when he asked Rogers to discontinue his cable television, telephone and Internet service, because he was switching to Bell Aliant.

The services were discontinued July 10, 2012 — three days earlier than Badcock wanted, so he asked to have it reconnected. In early August, he received a bill from Rogers for the entire month of July. When he contacted Rogers, he was told there was no end date given when he reconnected July 10, but that his invoice would be amended.

But in September, he received another bill, one with the July balance outstanding and charges for August as well. According to his statement of claim, he was again told the correction would be made, but another bill followed in October, and in November he started receiving calls from a collection agency representing Rogers, looking to collect $227.81.

“The Plaintiff explained to the agency that he did not owe that amount of money to the Defendant but instead was ridiculed for not paying his bills. Calls continued on a daily basis for the next several months,” reads the statement.

In May of this year, Badcock agreed to co-sign a mortgage for his grandson, but was told that because his name had been placed with a collection agency that downgraded his credit score, the mortgage would not be considered until the debt was paid. Last month, he contacted Rogers and threatened to sue unless the matter was resolved.

“After approximately a 30-minute telephone conversation, the defendant admitted the errors and the Plaintiff settled the account paying the defendant $5.73,” reads the statement of claim. A few days later, he received a notice from a collection agency, seeking $227.81 plus $482.51 for equipment that Badcock returned in October.

He says Rogers agreed no money was owed, and that an email would be forwarded showing that the credit bureau would be contacted and advised Badcock was not in arrears — an email that he has not seen yet.

In an email from Rogers spokeswoman Heather Robinson, the company declined to comment on the court case. “Since the matter is currently before the courts, we will not be making any comment,” wrote Robinson.

“I’m just fed up with corporations putting people’s names in for collection with no basis,” he said. And even if he did owe money, he doesn’t think a corporation should be able to send an account to a collection agency — and damage his or her credit rating — without oversight.

“This is morally wrong, it’s legally wrong, it’s constitutionally wrong, it’s every kind of wrong. The only person who should say that I owe money to anyone else and have it published worldwide is a judge. That’s why I’m pursuing this in Supreme Court, and I’m not settling out of court this time. I’m having it come to a head.”

Badcock is suing Rogers for $273,750, the size of the mortgage which he co-signed for his grandson (which was eventually worked out), a figure he says he chose “just to get their attention.” He’s also demanding Rogers take out full-page ads “in every major newspaper in the capital city of every province in Canada” that it will no longer send customer accounts to collection agencies without due process.

“My name remains with a collection agency. Even after I prepared this suit, I’m still trying to get someone to acknowledge that I owe them no money, and to get them to remove my name from the collection agency has not been done,” he said.

Badcock isn’t a stranger to the legal system, having had a lengthy courtroom tangle with Eastern Health over parking fees. Badcock, a cancer patient, went to court to argue that parking fees at hospitals should be illegal, a case that was thrown out in February.

dmaceachern@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TelegramDaniel

Organizations: Rogers Communications, Bell Aliant, Supreme Court

Geographic location: Canada

Comments

Comments

• Annette
    July 10, 2014 - 23:08

I had a huge problem with Rodgers when I moved from Ontario to British Columbia. They will NOT admit they were in the wrong. They sent it to collections, which showed up on my credit report and will be there for seven years!! I left a forwarding address to contact me. Day's before I left, when I brought my modem into the Rodgers store, I asked for the balance. They were aware that I was moving to a location that Rodgers had NO internet service. After 30 days they sent it straight to collections!!

• thomas the tank engine
    July 07, 2014 - 06:14

well, canadian internet is just garbage. ranked 54th in the world. The big three ISPs are all just working together to fuck the country over. seriously, look at their plans and pricing. There is NO competition. They all have the same plans with the same prices. they are all just after your money.

• Mohammed Rahman
    January 25, 2014 - 00:29

I have been having Rogers for 8 years. I had cell phone, cable and internet. I have cancelled cell phone and cable. In this 8 years Rogers made mistakes by charging me at least 30 times. However they never make mistake and charge you less. Is this really mistake???? I hear the same story around me. Did anyone ever heard that Rogers billed anyone less by mistake?

• Mr. President
    October 19, 2013 - 23:16

I think this guy is out of his mind for the following reasons: 1-He wants to be paid because he was given a bad credit reputation from Rogers preventing him to co-sign for a loan. 2-If Rogers does not have the recordings of the calls then he can throw this case in the water cause you can`t blame them until you prove them guilty and from what I read from the article, it seems he only decided to call them 1 year later after ignoring all the collection agency calls. I do hope for him that they have records that go back 1 year. 3-He sues for the loan which means he is suing for money he does not have or that he has not lost. I have seen case were people get sued for the difference in interest rate they have to pay but never for the entire value of a loan. He thinks the legal system is here to make money. I would not be surprised if you used his cancer as a legal tool lol.

• Don Nelson
    October 15, 2013 - 09:44

Except for the lawsuit this almost a carbon copy of my experience with Rogers. I'm still waiting for a return phone call from a person in the "Office of the President". I guess I should be patient tho, it's only been 3years.

• Tiffany
    July 16, 2013 - 02:38

Rogers is the worse company to cancel from , but to sue for something less than $300 is ridiculous ! Rogers charged me over 3000 for their services I cut a billion time but their customer service never got the message. But I took it like a responsible adult , talked to the creditors , got the amount lower and paying. Single parent not working. This guy obviously has problems and is trying to rip off the company and to lazy to pay bills. If you just talk it out with them instead of sueing you'll get a lot further !

• Rogers Worstcompanyever
    July 15, 2013 - 11:06

I have had Rogers for several years in North Waterloo. Every year I have at least 2 major service issues, always on the Rogers side, Rogers always blames my equipment . I had less than 3% my advertised download speed all waking hours for 3 months, they blamed me for 3 weeks of calls only to admit it was "node congestion". Rogers added too many subscribers before doing the upgrades. They stopped mailing my bill and the office of the president insisted for 6 months it was Canada post! (despite receiving all my other mail, including rogers ads!). Those are 2 of many similar examples. Every year I have to beg Rogers for promotions just to bring their over priced services closer to market value. In addition to over paying, I have to watch out for nickle & dime internet usage charges if I want use netflix, or basically use the service I ALREADY PAY FOR. Rogers is the worst company I have ever dealt with, and that goes for Fido. There is no fair competition for quality, affordable service. Rogers is BAD for Canada.

• Anne
    July 12, 2013 - 19:38

Rogers is a pain, but the fact is if you get their service connected (even after you just had it disconnected), you've bought it for minimum 3 months, which is what they're demanding to be paid. I'm guessing he hasn't talked to a lawyer about this court case either. It's about time a judge slapped him with court costs to deter this bad habit of running to the courts everytime he gets a bee in his bonnet.

• Ed Power
    July 12, 2013 - 17:19

It would appear to me that many people commenting on this article never actually read it or, if they did, failed to understand it. I had a similar problem with Bell for a simple refund on a piece of equipment that I returned. It took 6 months of telephone calls, e-mails and a letter threatening legal action to get my $50.00 + HST back. At one time one could visit a local store to discuss a billing problem and, if unsatisfied, talk to a manager authorized to make a decision. Now one has to call an ironically named "Customer Satisfaction Centre" to deal with someone who can't help you, and refers you to someone elsewhere in the ethersphere. A dozen calls to a dozen people later, and you get bumped back to the first number you called to start the adventure again. Well done, Tom, I wish you all the best.

• Dee
    July 12, 2013 - 14:21

People are tired from hearing from this man so much drama by the sound of it not too much sympathy for Mr.Badcock.pay your bills and get on with your life like the rest of us has to do.Be thankfull that you got a second chance,but maybe that's just the type of person you are sue others for living not a good example you are setting for your grand children.Another thing after one bad experience with a service why would you ever consider that service again,better yet why would they even take you as a customer again.

• Jason
    July 12, 2013 - 11:48

This guy is a joke. It's always funny when someone like this guy goes to the media and right away it's the company's fault. Pay the bill. I have had Rogers, Aliant and Telus over the past 15 years for a range of different services and never once had a problem, nor do I know of anyone who has. I would be he ignored the charges because he thought he was in the right expecting it just to go away. It's sad that someone who beat cancer has nothing better to do with his life except Sue companies trying to get a payout.

• David
    July 12, 2013 - 11:30

Really ounce wasn't enough so you went back? hey Tom should give some thought to moving to United States. They sue everyone over anything.

• Dave
    July 12, 2013 - 11:23

It’s actually the second time Badcock has sued Rogers — he went back as a customer after a previous similar problem, So I guess if you can sue them ounce you can sue them again. I Think Tom you got a good thing going, if you can't make money from your books then SUE. SUE . SUE. Hey Tom maybe move to the States they always suing people over the slightest of Issues. Just a Thought

July 12, 2013 - 11:15

Does this man not want to ever pay for anything?????? Now he wants his family members included in that free ride.

• Megan
    July 12, 2013 - 11:06

My sister is having the same problem with Eastlink. These companies are big and powerful and busy and very hard to deal with. Good luck Mr. Badcock.

• Ohmy
    July 12, 2013 - 10:45

Wow just pay your bill and stop looking for an easy payout. No wonder we pay so much, companies having to fend off idiots like this. Isn't this also the same guy going after eastern health? Anything for an easy pay out!

• Doris.
    July 12, 2013 - 09:00

Wow Badcock at it again yes you got an issue with Rogers and like anyone else if you don,t pay your bills they have a right to place you with a collection company,if they doe it wrongfully then yes you have the right to sue.Sounds like your grandson had trouble getting a mortgage to begin with now you want someone to pay for his home,grow up Badcock I think you just like to hear yourself talk write a book with all proceeds going to your grandson like I said before when you were doing all the complaining about the parking meters think of the person who don't have transportation and has to use a taxi or a bus to get to their treatments.I wonder would someone else get all the the gram time like you have gotten if they were not known around town.

• Jim
    July 12, 2013 - 08:52

"It’s actually the second time Badcock has sued Rogers — he went back as a customer after a previous similar problem, because Rogers apologized. He settled out of court for a nominal amount then, he says, but he won’t this time." Personally, if I had to sue a service provider, I would NOT return as a customer. As much as Mr. Badcock is fed up with Rogers, I would venture a guess that the feeling is mutual.

• TJ
    July 12, 2013 - 08:08

Tom, stop clogging up our court rooms with your BS. Grow up and pay your bills

• Gerald
    July 12, 2013 - 08:06

Badcock sounds like a nutcase.

• stephen burke
    July 12, 2013 - 07:28

way to go tom, I myself has had the same problem with with Rogers and two years later still with a bad credit rating. Is there any body else out there with the same problem?

• Betty
      July 12, 2013 - 10:02

We had the same problem a few years ago. I will NEVER be a Rogers customer and I do everything I can to talk my friends out of the Rogers service

• Joe
      December 13, 2013 - 07:47

Yes I really feel for him and his experience. I am going through the same thing with Bell Canada over a $ 500.00 bill. I cancelled my cell phone with them because they kept sending incorrect invoices and made mistakes on the billing.... Then they charged me a hefty $250 disconnection fee even though I am not on a contract and own the phone. Its been 10 months of registered letters, lawyers and 6 different collection agencies. Funny thing is after filing complaints with the CRTC and the CCTS, it turns out I am right. So now I have my credit ruined even though they did not have the legal right to invoice me. These companies and the Collection Agencies get away with this because not enough Canadians fight back. So hats off to anyone who fights back,- because its a long battle and it costs tons of money. My $500.00 dollar bill has cost me over $3000.00 to fight,- but I at least stood up for my rights.

• sarato
      December 19, 2013 - 10:05

I have the same experience with rogers. They seems to retaliate customers who want to cancel their service by putting some unexplainable charges. I would like to sue Rogers myself.