One person dead following accident Saturday

RNC

One person has died following a two-vehicle accident near the intersection of Portugal Cove Road and Major's Path Saturday evening in St. John's.

Five people were sent to hospital after a collision occured between a northbound vehicle and a southbound vehicle which was turning left onto Major's Path. The deceased was a passenger in one of the vehicles.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary are not releasing any details regarding the victim at this time at the request of the family. They are also appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact them at 729-8000 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Organizations: Crimestoppers

Geographic location: Portugal Cove Road

Comments

Comments

• Poppy
    July 22, 2013 - 09:03

I agree that the intersection is dangerous. It is also obvious that there are a lot of really dangerous drivers in this city. People are constantly driving well above the posted speed limits, making dangerous turns, poor lane changes, driving extremely aggressively or intoxicated. It is a really sad state. When friends come to visit it me here they are astonished at the amount of aggression on our roads and generally I have to agree. It reflects so poorly on us. I don't understand why we have become such a hateful, inconsiderate, rushed population. We can make all the changes to the roads we want but until we get people to slow down and not drive aggresively people will continue to be killed and severely injured on our roadways.

• STUNNED
      July 25, 2013 - 14:05

NOT TO MENTION THE PEOPLE IN THIS CITY THAT DRIVE WHILE SMOKING POT! STUNNED!

• Marty
    July 21, 2013 - 20:58

The turn signal on that intersection was installed after a young man was killed making that left hand turn several years ago. It is very unsafe to attempt that left hand turn into Major's Path on a solid green if there is any traffic at all in the lane turning into Airport Heights. I travel that road almost daily and there is a blind spot created for people trying to turn down Major's Path by the traffic waiting to turn into Airport Heights. To me there are two options, allow the turn only with the arrow or a more expensive alternative is to reconfigure the lanes heading north.

• Buddyluh
    July 21, 2013 - 18:16

Turning left on a green without an arrow at that intersection is brutal. There needs to be a separate traffic light for the left turn (similar to kelsey drive). The left turn needs to have a red, yellow and green all to its own.

• wobegone
      July 22, 2013 - 09:48

I'm not sure of the details of this particular tragedy, but the left turn is blind and obviously fraught with risk. This "turn on left arrow only" solution seems simple and non-intrusive. Works across the rest of the country, why not here.

• Beebob
    July 21, 2013 - 14:04

The left turn at that intersection is very dangerous. The cars coming north are hidden from view of the car turning onto Majors Path. Even an experienced driver can get fooled. The road need to be realigned, or guaranteed there will be more serious accidents and deaths. Will the authorities take note? Probably not. I could point our numerous other areas that are dangerous. Lines painted wrong. Direction signs that are not consistent. Signs hidden. Illogical speed limits. Last minute directions that you realize your in the wrong lane for turning. Illogical traffic lights. etc. etc. etc. I've been driving for over 60 years, in many provinces and states, so I know what I'm talking about. Because of our population, we have the chance to see what others have done to make driving safer and more logical, but we just keep doing things like we were back in the 50's.

• Airport Heights Resident
    July 21, 2013 - 12:37

As a resident in Airport Heights, I have heard the fire department and ambulance sirens all too often while responding to accidents at this intersection. Something has to be done to avoid these tragedies from occurring!

• Eli
      July 21, 2013 - 19:19

There are Yellow lites before the Red and there are drivers who run both with monotonous regularity. Take your pick.

• Jennifer
      July 21, 2013 - 20:18

I totally agree, I used to live there and that has to be one of the worse intersections, maybe changing it to only be able to turn on the arrow or slowing the speed limit, I've seen people treat it like the highway.