UPDATE: Fire flares up again at Mallard Cottage

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Fire began when Newfoundland Power connected electricity to the building

Just when firefighters had hoped an electrical fire at Mallard Cottage in Quidi Vidi Village was under control this afternoon, it flared up again.

Firefighters from the St. John's Regional Fire Department were still on the scene checking for hot spots when the flareup occurred. They had to go back inside with hoses and chainsaws, which could be heard cutting through a wall.

Light black smoke could be seen coming from the building as firefighters try to find the source of the flames behind walls.

Supt. Robert Fowler of the St. John's Regional Fire Department confirmed for The Telegram that the fire began after Newfoundland Power connected the building to the electrical grid.

Telegram photographer Keith Gosse was at the scene providing these live updates.

•••

(Earlier story)

N.L. Power employees credited for putting out fire at Mallard Cottage

Newfoundland Power employees who were working near Mallard Cottage in Quidi Vidi Village are being credited for putting out an electrical fire there this afternoon.

Supt. Robert Fowler of the St. John's Regional Fire Department said the workers were on the scene before firefighters arrived. One employee was checked out at the scene by emergency personnel for possible smoke inhalation.

Fowler said the fire was caused by an electrical problem. It resulted in a small amount of fire damage to the building but mostly smoke damage. Smoke also went into an attached dwelling.

The historic building has been undergoing renovations for a new restaurant.

•••

(Earlier story)

Firefighters from the St. John's Regional Fire Department are on the scene of an electrical fire at Mallard Cottage in Quidi Vidi Village.

The historic building has been undergoing renovations for a new restaurant.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was coming from the building. They are now in the process of locating hot spots, but appear to have the fire under control.

Firefighters could be seen throwing out burned insulation and debris out of one of the doorways.

Geographic location: St. John's, Quidi Vidi Village

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments