‘This guy is an idiot’

Rosie
Rosie Gillingham

Calgary Sun editor admits letter to editor too hard on Newfoundlanders

A screen shot of a letter published by the Calgary Sun about Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

An editor of a major Calgary newspaper regrets his decision to publish a letter to the editor from an Alberta man blasting Newfoundlanders who work in that province.

“We actually did debate whether to run it or not,” Calgary Sun editor-in-chief Jose Rodriguez told The Telegram Monday.

“In hindsight, we shouldn’t have run it.”

That’s after the letter, which ran in the weekend edition, unleashed a rath of backlash from proud Newfoundlanders — as well as some Albertans — outraged that the newspaper would publish what many would consider bigotry.

Rodriguez, whose email was inundated with angry messages, said it’s the most reaction the newspaper has received from a single letter.

On the newspaper’s website alone, it garnered almost 300 comments.

The letter — written by Shawn Mitchell and published in the Sun’s Saturday edition — can be seen at the bottom of this story.

In it, Mitchell lambasts Newfoundlanders who “steal jobs away from us Albertans.” He goes so far as to insult Newfoundlanders’ grammar and manners.

Mitchell said Newfoundlanders who come to Alberta ride around in run-down vehicles with “da rock” bumper stickers.

“Spelling and grammar do not seem to be a common Newfoundlander’s strong point,” he wrote.

“Simply put, I am sick of seeing these interprovincial migrants that just cruise around from city to city looking to steal our jobs away.”

He goes on to say, “Get some manners, job thieves, get a life and get some class.” He then tells these Newfoundlanders to “pack up and go home.”

When contacted by The Telegram, Rodriguez said he and the other editors knew what Mitchell was saying was wrong.

“This guy is an idiot,” he said. “And I couldn’t believe in this day and age, people still think like this.”

However, Rodriguez said they decided to publish the letter to give the public the opportunity to have its say.

“When we were debating whether or run it or not, one of our editors said, ‘Why give this guy a podium?’ But we wanted to put it out there so people could knock him down,” Rodriguez said.

“It definitely wasn’t run with any ill intent towards Newfoundlanders.”

“We don’t run those letters because we have any ill will towards those people. We do it for the opposite reasons,” Rodriguez said.

“There are people who are bigoted. Do we just ignore them all or do give the a podium so people can put him in his place?

“Most Albertans are rational people who can see through those kind of people.”

At the bottom of the letter  the editor wrote a short response: “Hey, back off the Newfoundlanders. They are amazing people.”

Rodriguez said that’s the general consensus among Albertans towards Newfoundlanders.

“I think Albertans and Newfoundlanders are probably similar people — they work hard, play hard and enjoy life,” he said.

“This letter was just one idiot’s opinion. We love Newfoundlanders and we thank your province for producing good, hard-working people. They’re a great part of our mosaic.”

rgillingham@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TelyCourt

This article has been updated to correct information.

The letter:

READER UNLEASHES ANTI-NEWFOUNDLAND RANT

I was out for a drive on my way home today and what did I see, a whole crapload of licence plates on run-down looking vehicles that aren’t from Alberta. Sure, people can say that they are here on vacation, but really people, who are we kidding here? These people are here to steal jobs away from us Albertans.

You really have to like the ones with “da rock” on their bumpers as we all know where you are from. My question is, if you like “da rock” so much, why don’t you go back there and get some more education as spelling and grammar do not seem to be a common Newfoundlander’s strong point?

Simply put, I am sick of seeing these interprovincial migrants that just cruise around from city to city looking to steal our jobs away. I have heard back east, folks are hard-working and certainly many of them are, but in my line of work, they are the biggest makers of puppies on company time and these job thieves are the best at slitting the throats of hard working Albertans as we as Albertans are the ones in this damn country that put in the most amount of hours worked per province.

Get some manners, job thieves, get a life and get some class: Pack up and go home because there isn’t any more room. I liked Calgary the way it was, before the boom.

Shawn Mitchell

Editor’s Note: Hey. Back off the Newfoundlanders. They are amazing people.

Geographic location: Alberta, Calgary

Comments

Comments

• Sylvia J.
    February 07, 2014 - 11:50

DON'T COME WHERE WERE TO STAYS WHERE YOU'RE AT - Joan Morrissey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCOKCtVa_go&feature=share&list=PLE78D7833F517254E&index=4

• barb
    August 20, 2013 - 12:53

I came to Alberta from nfld.in 1976.when the oilsands were recruiting for employee's in nfld.because they never had enough skilled Albertans to do the jobs.how can this guy say such ignorant things about newfoundlanders.most of us were probably here before he was even born.sounds to me he doesn't even have a job.probably because he has either no education,no trade, or else just to lazy to work,and has to blame someone else like newfies.don't get me wrong there are a lot of good Albertans out there I have a lot of friends from Alberta who also think he's an idiot.so maybe it's time for him to GROW up.thanks.

• Dave
    August 12, 2013 - 09:15

Shawn Mitchell, hang on need to turn my spell check on first. So have you heard of the following? Pay close attention, this goes for the newspaper as well. Defamation of character. Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person. Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

• Glenn
    August 03, 2013 - 20:43

I have lived in Alberta since 1998, my daughter was born here,my wife who was born in Japan went to university here.(Calgary )mitchel-San .we are proud albertans ,I am also proud of the fact I was born and raised in outport Newfoundland,that would be a hamlet for you the sad part about multiple media and the Internet is that idiots like you without reason can spew out crap to make up for you ineptitude in society.good luck with the hate I'm sure you are popular in your own mind a legend if you will.by the way if a Newfie nurse is there to admin CPR when your lousy soul requires it would you refuse if she was from "da rock"ugly people revolt me.

• Glenn
    August 03, 2013 - 20:29

• Ramona Tobin
    August 03, 2013 - 01:05

I wonder, after all this backlash, why has Mr Mitchel had nothing to say in reply?????? Perhaps he has discovered that he might be the minority ( at last in his bigoted uninformed way of thinking). I am a NF university grad who has travelled and lived in several provinces as well as a few countries over the years & I have never been subjected to any of the opinions that he spouts. I currently live in Australia and am always amazed at how many people I meet that know of and have been to NF ... all with nothing but good to say for it and it's generous people. Let's hope he stays under his rock so the rest of the world can be spared having to put up with him, "EH"?

• Alberta Boy
    August 02, 2013 - 14:25

Just ignore this moron. In Alberta, just like everywhere else, we hire people who are qualified, looking for work, and willing to do it. You can lose your job, but nobody can "steal" it from you!

• Karen
    August 01, 2013 - 22:00

Newfoundland you Rock!!!! The response from the islanders to the Calgary Sun has been outstanding & plentiful. Today in the sun they are still publishing letters in regards to the ill written rotten letter from one miserable Albertan. Nice way to serve a steaming cup of `Shut the Bleep Up Shawn Mitchell``. I am proud to be an islander & no place I would rather be. No matter where I am or where I go my heart will always be in Newfoundland. I love you & miss you Mom & Dad (Ed & Pat Cameron, Point of Bay). Proud Mi`kmaq of Newfoundland. Currently in Calgary Aberta, Karen MAcKay

• Marilyn
    August 01, 2013 - 14:11

Maybe if Mitchell and some of his friends would go and work these jobs in Alberta then the employers wouldn't be begging and giving bonuses for hard working newfoundlanders to come work for them.The employers know where to get who they need.As for the vehicles that they drive in Alberta the reason for that is to save for their expensive cars and mansions that will be built for them upon retiring.with the excellent money earned in Alberta..that i would say is some smart newfie..mitchell..you should try this approach to life instead of sitting at home writing these type of nast letters to the editor.

• LLoyd Pretty
      August 01, 2013 - 17:56

I am 69 years old. I have worked all over this beautiful country and parts of the good old US of A. I have worked with and met some amazing people in my 60 years of working and paying taxes to support those who are down on their luck. I "have"however met a small number of individuals like ehhh "Whatsisname" oh yes Shawn Mitchell. now , they were very few and far between but never the less there will always be people like Shawn. This is Canada Shawn and like it or not Newfoundland is part of it. BY the way, come to Newfoundland maybe we will give you a job.

• mel
    August 01, 2013 - 11:42

I find it quite amusing that this Shawn Mitchell guy felt so threatened by Newfoundlander's that he had to write an article. If we are so under educated & terrible workers then how are we managing to "steal" your jobs? And so what if we drive crappy cars. Maybe we actually want to SAVE SOME MONEY!!! This article is too foolish for print! lol

• George Bullock of ONTARIO
    August 01, 2013 - 08:43

Newfoundlanders are the hardest working people in Canada. They come from a province that has been hit by governmant agencies cutting off their lifeline of fishing. These people are innovative and can do anything. I have known many newfies and it has been a pleasure. They are funny, there manner of speach is colourful and may be hard to understand but if tou listen you will understand. If things were different in Alberts it would be u people going to "THE ROCK" to find work.!!!

• Alicia
    August 01, 2013 - 00:03

I do not see why we get such hate for trying to get a good job to support our families! And last I checked it is Alberta company's looking for Newfoundlander to work for them! We get hate for being such great workers! But Newfoundlanders are the ones that went to Alberta to show them what hard work is! I lived in Alberta and I personally would not go back bec the hate I got there!

• Townie Baymen
    July 31, 2013 - 18:21

This is exactly how everyone in town sounds when they complain about the foreign workers. They all make the EXACT same claims and discriminatory comments. How does it feel now that the shoe is on the other foot? I know, I know. You don't care.

• Barbara from NL
    July 31, 2013 - 17:29

Mr. Mitchell, come visit or work with us, have a cup of tea and a chat. :) You're always welcome. AB has been very gracious towards NL when it comes to employment. It would be nice for NL to bestow that same honour upon Albertans. Once upon a time, I worked in AB and I have to say, I was always treated with the utmost respect and appreciation. I was truly amazed to find such gracious, kind, helpful and generous people. I Thank you.

• Robert
    July 31, 2013 - 12:25

Well, no doubt the Calgary Sun got lots of mileage out of this one; just as planned I fancy. When you're trying to sell newspapers you print what sells and on this day bashing NLers was the best ticket out there. There was perhaps a time when we even thought that this kind of trash was funny; it provided wind for the sails of Newfie Jokes. But based on the comments on this forum nobody around here is laughing anymore! It would be nice to think that Mr. Mitchell is the rare exception to his own nasty tone but those of us "forced" to spend time in Alberta know different. It has nothing to do with being upset with people "stealing" jobs away; and we NLers do exactly the same thing when someone comes to NL and steals away jobs. It has ALL to do with attacking a culture/a people that is quite misunderstood and without any desire to try and appreciate who exactly we are! Freedom of Speech demands that Mr. Mitchell has every right to say what he said. July 1st is Canada Day but for Newfoundlanders July 1st will always be when we pause to honor those who faced bullets like driving sleet for Mr. Mitchell's Freedom of Speech! We are so proud a People that some days it hurts to be who we are! And all of Alberta cannot steal that way!

• Heather George
    July 31, 2013 - 10:24

Does Mr Mitchell have a job? Or did a more qualified Newfoundlander obtain it over him? Some bee is in his bonnet. People like you sir, need help.

• Howard George
    July 31, 2013 - 08:47

As a Newfoundlander working in Alberta, I find this interesting. I give Alberta's employers and managers the credit that they try to hire the best employees for their companies that they can. If as Mr. Mitchell says, Newfoundlanders "are stealing" the jobs, I believe it follows that many Alberta employers think that Newfoundlanders make the best employees. If not why are they hiring us. As to his bigotry and not knowing that " da rock" represents dialect and a term of endearment of our beloved province, let's cut him some slack and enjoy the humor of it all. The little Alberta town where he grew up was too small to have a village idiot, so they took turns. Saturday was his turn!!!!!

• Dave Walsh
      August 01, 2013 - 11:38

Howard you have it right. Maybe they should let him continue being the town idiot., bigoted, ignorant jerk he really is. I'm not from Newfoundland but know some wonderful people there.

• Rebecca
    July 31, 2013 - 08:29

Is there really a Mr. Mitchell or is this a writer for the Calgary sun trying to make a name for himself . Trying to win some sort of an award for most talked about and racist article !!!

• Newfoundlander
    July 31, 2013 - 04:03

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was posted years ago... Makes ya proud to be a Newfie! "We are like tea bags - we don't know our own strength until we're in hot water." This is an article that appeared in the Calgary Sun Newspaper... The moment you lose your faith in people, I recommend you save up your pennies and take a trip to Newfoundland. Meet the Newfies and your faith will be restored. You will meet total strangers and they will become your friends. You will walk in as an unknown soul and come out with buddies who'll stand up for you in any fight. You will hear them laugh at themselves, sing songs and tell tales. They will take life's curves with grace and know that being alive is a whole lot better than being dead. They will treat you for who you are and not put on phony airs. If you need a hand, you get an army. They will take you in, buy you a round, make you part of the family and by the time you leave the Rock, you'll fall in love with the place. You see, Newfies are Newfies wherever they go. After all, as John Crosbie once said, "You can always tell the Newfies in Heaven, they're the ones who want to go home." If your faith is saggin, hug a Newfie ...... Rick Bell, Calgary Sun.

• newfy
      July 31, 2013 - 10:33

i am a proud newfoundlander born and raised and still here and i have to dissagree with the above post about any newy strangers becoming anyones friend,we are no more friendly in this province than anywhere else,,that was the old times when us newfoundlnders were the kind gentle folk,now we are jus like everyone else..spend some time on facebook or around the younger folk and you wont have that opion anymore..sorry but its true most people in this town(corner brook) are a$$holes to be frank

• Kim
    July 30, 2013 - 23:48

I have listened to every stupid Newfie joke, every idiot trying to imitate our accent, every ignorant comment about our province, it's people and our way of life for most of my adult life, but Shawn Mitchell has won first prize as the biggest idiot of all. This is 2013 Shawn Mitchell, I'm unsure of what you do for a living, but you have put your career at risk by writing such a hateful letter about fellow Canadians. I am hoping that someone will find out where you work, post it on facebook, and stir up so much shit, that a Newfoundlander will be hired to replace your pathetic, discriminating, ignorant, and hateful ass. You, my friend are a complete idiot. I, unlike you, will not overgeneralize about people from Alberta, because if I were to do so based on your letter, I would have to say that Albertans are complete Assholes, who wouldn't know shit from shine-ola, but I know that to be an untruth. You ought to be careful of your words Shawn Mitchell, because one day you may be working under a Newfoundlander, that being said, if he/she were to find out about your ignorance and prejudices, you may find yourself in the unemployment line. I think your letter was definitely a career limiting move...did I spell all of that right?

• Sarah
    July 30, 2013 - 22:42

Everyone including Mr MItchell, the moren. thinks that the cars with "da Rock " is from NF ever hear of tour DA ROCK the RCMP does it every year for CANCER B LESS EM , Remember the 3 wise men came from the east. where does Mr Mitchell fit into this. Was he left out of the convoy and had to pay his own way out. Eat a SNICKER mr Mitchell. you are not yourself

• Martha
    July 30, 2013 - 20:33

People can write and print what they want, we are clearly not going anywhere. What are they going to do, ban us from Alberta? Obviously not. However when they asked the question "Is it better to ignore these people or give them a platform to put him in his place?", the right choice would have been to ignore it. Giving this kind of negativity any sort of platform is wrong, even if you assumed he would be put in his place, it just opened a can of worms that didn't do any good whatsoever.

• Marsha Sefcik
    July 30, 2013 - 19:52

This is absolutely disgusting. We do not steal jobs. Alberta did not have the workforce when the boom hit so the companies themselves went east to recruit skilled tradespeople. Those guys working hard on the oil sands aren't driving around in beaters either. According to this Shawn Mitchell, every beater on the road in Alberta belongs to a Newfoundlander. Judging by his letter, I think he is unable to get a job so rather than look inward and wonder why, let's point the finger and blame someone else.

• Tina
    July 30, 2013 - 19:40

This should not have been printed in any paper. This is slander and very ignorant. If this letter were to mention any other race that comes to Alberta to work, it would not have ever made print. The fact that people are from the same country does not give the paper the right to allow people to be treated this way.

• White Eagle
    July 30, 2013 - 19:32

I wonder if they would have run the letter if it had been about black people or Quebeckers.

• Frank Swift
      July 31, 2013 - 06:47

Read the article: "He said the newspaper, in the past, has run opinion pieces from people criticizing Quebecers and homosexuals."

• Joan
    July 30, 2013 - 18:05

The Guy Who Trashed Newfoundlander's Maybe He Is A Wanaba Newfoundlander!!!! :) :)

• Gerry
      July 30, 2013 - 21:29

With a name "Shawn Mitchell" can you check his back ground? Where did his grand parents have their beginning?

• da rock girl
    July 30, 2013 - 17:32

I can understand that this naive man is probably frustrated at Newfoundlanders but is it for a particular reason that he is not sharing... Perhaps a Newfoundlander caught his women's eye by talking to her with a soft spoken voice instead of his arrogant one. Or did he get overlooked for a promotion and a Newfoundlander got it. .. This is only 2 examples of what could of happened. The possibilities are endless. Therefore, Mr.Mitchell let me have my say. I believe you are a pitful, arrogant,and disrespectful man. I am from " da rock" and I live in Alberta seasonally for work and ifII took a job you thought you were yours too bad.. Suck it up... Grow up... Newfoundlanders are hard working individuals and to say anything less is disrespectful. So maybe you should check your grammar and speech cause I am not the one coming off looking like a sooky selfish pity ass. Thank you.

• jon
    July 30, 2013 - 16:59

If this guy feels this away about fellow Canadians i wonder how he feels about immigrants from another country taking away those jobs?

• Kirbster
    July 30, 2013 - 16:32

Mr.mitchell should come to nfld for a shed party.he would be the ugly stick by the time the night was over.idiot

• Jerry
    July 30, 2013 - 15:29

Interesting, the Calgary Sun, supposedly a "reputable" newspaper, prints such insulting, discriminatory and inappropriate trash. But, as written on this page below if we wish to make a comment, "We ask that users remain courteous. You may not post insulting, discriminatory or inappropriate content, which may be removed at our discretion. We are not responsible for user content and opinions. Use of this site as well as content submission & ownership are governed by our Conditions of Use and Privacy Policy." So, as a "reputable" newspaper, you will print garbage, but not allow someone the same entitlement to comment in the same insulting, discriminatory or inappropriate way.

• Andrea
    July 30, 2013 - 15:00

I am from NL and I work in AB. I know that our company cannot fill all the positions from AB because of not enough interest. Therefore they go to all the Canadian provinces to find workers. I've worked with people from all over and I find them to be great. We are there for our families. Plain and simple! I think Mr. Mitchell should get his head out of his arse! Pardon my Newfie accent!

• Sasha
    July 30, 2013 - 14:55

When I first read this article I was very saddened to see that we still think this way about each other. I thought we were all over the stereotypical issues in this country about east and west. I am a NL'er that moved to Alberta 13 years ago after I finished University. If you can't find a job in Calgary then perhaps you need to move. Everyone has re-located at some point in their life..either for love...for money...for family. Weird thing is our company is discussing the topic of "Diversity" this week. LOL. I feel sad that Mr. Mitchell feels this way about Newfoundlanders, but he is not only attacking us, he's attacking anyone that is not Alberta born and working here. FYI Mr Mitchell....there is a lot of jobs to be filled and not enough qualified people to fill them. We have a very diverse group of people within the company I work for. I believe perhaps one is actually Alberta born. If you can't get a job in Calgary....maybe we aren't to blame, maybe it is you that is living in a past that no longer exists. In order for things to grow change needs to happen. Look to the future Mr. Mitchell do not live in the past.

• Samuel F Cole
    July 30, 2013 - 14:34

Awwwwwwwwwwwww Whats wrong Shawnnnnnn? Did a Newfie steal your job or your woman?...Lmaoooooooooooooo!

• Dennis
    July 30, 2013 - 14:19

When I moved to Ontario in the late 80's, I faced the same sort of backlash, albeit more subtle in the work place, as was put forth in the letter to the editor. To the people with those views, I often took the opportunity to joke that when I moved from Newfoundland to Ontario that I raised the average IQ of both provinces - when they looked at me confused trying to figure out how that was possible, I would reply quickly "told you so". And that put an end to that nonsense once they finally figured it out.

• Carl R. Young
    July 30, 2013 - 13:54

After working in every province, ocean to ocean three times except P.Q. I chose to retire on "The Rock" because of it's people and the way I was treated. It seemed the people got nicer the farther East I travelled including Quebec. At one time Newfoundland, during WW II was America's Unsinkable aircraft carrier called Argentia (US Navy Base.)

• Huck
    July 30, 2013 - 13:53

While Mr Mitchell has worded his letter a bit too strong for my liking, he isn't totally wrong in what he is saying. I have worked with many Newfoundlanders in the past 40 years, both on da rock and on the mainland, and have found them to be the same as workers from any other province. Some are really good workers, some are really bad workers, and the rest falls somewhere in between. The thing that I notice the most is that Newfoundlanders tend to travel to work in any province where the money is best; which I agree should be the right of every Canadian, but at the same time manage to block people from any other province from working in the lucrative Newfoundland Offshore. I believe that is what's called a double standard, when you are permitted to work in my province but won't let me work in yours. There is work available for tradesmen in Newfoundland but many of the local tradesmen would sooner work in Alberta than fill the jobs at home. It appears that many Newfoundlanders love da rock enough to live there, but they don't love it enough to work there and be a part of it. Perhaps if these issues aren't soon addressed all of the provinces will go the same way and limit the outsourcing of jobs to anyone outside of that particular province. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

• maudeannrioux
      July 30, 2013 - 14:53

Huck we were there at the first boom and the Newfoundlanders took jobs the Albertan's wouldn't dirty themselves to do and they complained just as you are doing now.I've been in most states and all provinces plus the territories and saw some very harsh working conditions,but they never once said no I'm not doing that.Yes we do have some slackers but they learned that from working in other provinces.In Little Cornwallis NWT. one supervisor wouldn't take any other workers but Nflder's.They faced the rawest winter weather I have ever seen and come in ahead of schedual on the contract.So don't tell me you or any Albertan is better at what they do.I came back here to live after retiring and it's heaven compared to some places I've been.Thank you for maybe listening.

• annette fournier
      July 30, 2013 - 16:07

lucrative newfoundland offshore..........my lord that is a joke

• julie
      July 30, 2013 - 19:05

To NOWISEE..... The reason why there was such an uproad about bringing in foreign workers was because there were so many newfoundlanders who had their resumes in to that company but never got a call & when you call there or drop one off, they would say thty are not accepting any more resumes.... but they can bring in foreign workers when canadians applies to the jobs..... thats the difference my darling.... don't open your mouth unless you got all your ducks in a row to back it up & you do not this time. Have a great day sweetheart

• jack
      August 01, 2013 - 13:06

Huck...you don't know much about the Newfoundland economy or history. How many times did were resources / jobs given away (fishery, electricity, oil) or numerous start ups gone in the blink of an eye .. Paper /linerboard mills, breweries, processing plants, refineries, hydroponics, recreation and tourism...its not that we aren't willing to work, but are often blindsided by bean counters who say its cheaper to set up shop on the mainland or profit margin isn't big enough to keep locals in jobs and support community survival and development of self-sustaining spinoff economies. The oil patch is a recent development; who could blame locals for being selective /protective of the investment in the province...its still likely at mercy of bean counters in the US oil company giants.

• wayne osmond
    July 30, 2013 - 13:32

Read between the lines folks. Shawn is just another guy that lost his girl to fine Newfoundland guy. Now he's mad.

• JackieLogans
    July 30, 2013 - 13:30

The fact of the matter is that the dislike of -- and prejudice against -- Newfoundlanders is all too common across Canada. I know; I'm an ex-pat residing in British Columbia. This negative attitude can be traced back to the Newfoundland author of "Newfie Jokes" who incorrectly thought he was penning harmless re-worked Irish and Polish jokes, making fun of Newfoundlanders. The problem is that mainland Canadians take these idiot jokes seriously, and the result causes great harm to Newfoundlanders who live outside their home province. It's all very sad, but it seems that many people need some other folks to look down upon. In the end, there's really no defence against ridicule, so expatriate Newfoundlanders just have to grin and bear it, unfortunately.

• Rick Vey
    July 30, 2013 - 13:25

It is likely that this young fella has new been out of Alberta and has certainly never been to Newfoundland. If he had, he might be inclined to change his tune about the people who he is blasting away at. Being from Newfoundland myself I can tell you there are just as many "come from aways" in Newfoundland from all over and yes from Alberta as well and we welcome them openly. This moron might want to take a pill or he might possibly be met with a Newfoundlander who is not quite so forgiving of his big ignorant uneducated mouth. I would be happy to come to Alberta to take on that particular job...and I'd do it for no pay :):):)

• Jay
    July 30, 2013 - 13:19

I went to work in Calgary in the early 80s. I found Calgarians to be kind, gracious, and helpful throughout my stay. I learned a great deal and had a totally positive experience there. Yes, there are some bigots and asses in Calgary, as there are bigots and asses in Newfoundland, which is also a wonderful place. Let's not attack Calgarians for their few, and let's hope they don't attack us for ours.

• lableaf
    July 30, 2013 - 13:01

Yeup...let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark!! guess some Albertans are still of that mindset .....geez!!

• Holly
    July 30, 2013 - 12:31

This is my opinion, it doesn’t matter what Province we are from or even what country we originated from. We are all a part of this great county, Canada, which connects us. Yes, we have people from all different backgrounds, opinions, levels of education and status. I fully accept that fact and I am very thankful that we live in a Country that allows us, the freedom, to be able to vent our feelings. Even feelings that is hurtful, demeaning and sometimes uncalled for. I think that this man, Shawn Mitchell and others of his opinion, should understand that he, as well as, every Canadian be thankful for living in a County that gives us that privilege. It is my opinion that he should feel obligated to respect this freedom and learn to accept people’s differences. It is not my wish to debase his opinion, but rather, to help him to understand there is a better way of thinking.

• anne
    July 30, 2013 - 12:23

I cannot believe that this letter was published...there is no amount of reasoning that would warrant this letter to be published....Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders are amazing....best place to live ....best hospitality...hope this guy comes for a visit and guess what....he would be treated with the utmost respect....I know what happened...I bet he fell for a newfie gal and she figured out he was an ass....lol...then he decided to rag on us....oh well....

• Noelle
    July 30, 2013 - 12:12

Lighten up, Mr. Mitchell. St. John's has an excellent university where you might want to apply. If you live in Newfoundland you will also learn life skills much more valuable that any that higher education can teach.

• Jimmy
    July 30, 2013 - 12:01

This letter should not have been run. All it does is hurt the integrity of the news paper and ther people of this city. You are entitled to your opinoin, but when it is insulting to good people....it should be kept in the heads of the small minded. The majority of people in this city are hard working good people, just as they are in the rest of the country. Someone like this person must be looking over their shoulder all the trime if he is going around speaking his opinions and treating people like that. I truely almost feel sorry for him.

• Bryan Green
      July 30, 2013 - 13:56

I am a Newfie, living in Brantford, ON and have found that Newfies are welcome everywhere...both for their friendliness and work ethic. I am a trucker and one night, about fifteen years ago while I was sitting at home, my telephone rang. I answered it to find a man looking for yours truly. I identified myself and asked how I could help him. He said that he owned a trucking company just west of Edmonton and wanted to know if I would come work for him. I did not know this man and have no idea how he got my name but he told me that he had six trucks with four of them being driven by Newfies and if he could do it, he would have all Newfie drivers. When asked why, he said that his Newfie drivers run more miles and when bad weather hits, two of his trucks are sitting in truck stops while the other four are tooling down the road as if it a bright, sunny summer day. So Mr. Mitchell, I guess that man would not agree with your term "puppy makers" when it comes to describing the work ethic of Newfoundlanders. To the Calgary Sun...would you have been so quick to print Mr. Mitchell's letter if his target had been some other group such as African-Americans, Pakistanis, East Indians, Muslims or some other visible minority?

• Joe
    July 30, 2013 - 11:52

This note from a Newf living in Moscow who has also obviously had to travel to work like many of my friends and family. The only defense against free speech is more free speech and we only move forward when the dialogue occurs. I think you were right to publish the note to initiate the conversation on the stupidity of the idiots comments but as well, to force us to think of our own bigotry which at some level we all must admit exists. At this time I would like to say hello to my dear sister who is living in Calgary very comfortably with her Masters of Science from Harvard Unversity.... stupid Newfs :-). “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.” ― Oscar Wilde

• ol son
    July 30, 2013 - 11:44

there is a reason all those newfoundlanders are in Alberta making money is becasue they can.......newfoundlanders are the best workers.....like i heard on a radio station in Calgary one day about someone complaining about all the "newfs" up stealing their jobs. the man went on to say they should build a fence to keep us all out.......hahaha and of course the next phone call was a newf wanting to know who was going to build the fence for him......just goes to show that we are good workers and can take a joke...........stay strong newf's

• SHIRLEY RYAN
      July 30, 2013 - 12:27

way to go olson, who will be the one to build that fence lol. probably a newfoundlander

• NowIsee
    July 30, 2013 - 11:38

The comments here are just too funny lol. Last week I read an article on how in Long Harbur they would give bonuses to the workers if they showed up on a regular basis to work. Go figure! There was another about the need to bring in foreign workers and the outrage in the comments was amazing. HOW DARE THEY TAKE OUR WORK AWAY. Now you all want to hang some dude with an opinion, you are all priceless!!!

• ben
      July 30, 2013 - 20:58

nowisee, newfoundlander are from canada, foreign worker means that they are from a foreign country which means NOT from canada. and we call newfoundlander uneducated. LMAO.

• Johnny
      September 11, 2013 - 11:00

Are you stupid? That's not a opinion he's degrading Newfoundlanders did you not read it and albertains don't have to move away for work, we do why should they bring in foreigners when we got to come to Alberta for work obviously

• Joe
    July 30, 2013 - 11:10

Doesn't this guy get the Economic Plan ads. This IS Stevie's great plan for the Canadian economy. If there is a problem, then he should contact his MP and PM. But then what can you expect when Stevie has already said they have a defeatist attitude in Alberta.

• Public Dude
      July 30, 2013 - 12:01

My wife and I visited Newfoundland from the US earlier this month. We were impressed by the beauty, the friendliness of the people and many attractions around St. John's. Ignore this bigotry from Alberta. Many Albertans are red-necks. Even the then Mayor of Calgary made some nasty remarks back in 1981. Shawn Mitchell, a bigot of the worst kind, wants Calgary to be the way it was before the boom. Well, such people should move out of Calgary to a small village. The clock cannot be turned back.

• ramona bennett
      July 30, 2013 - 12:29

O my It is so sad to see that with all the advancement in communication and the availability of education, that there are still within our society who have no respect for anyone who does not not fit the mold they perceive all people should fit.These people are so pitiful and pathetic because instead of embracing and learning from those they encounter who have pride in who they are and where they are from they are enraged . I wonder if their lack of empathy stems from a personal innate feeling of inferiority and they cannot contend with the hurt they feel when they meet people who are proud of their heritage. Or maybe it is much simpler. The person who wrote the rant may just be living in a bubble or is just an unhappy,miserable individual who wants to project his misery on others. I wonder does he understand the difference between grammar and dialect? I think not.

• Diego
    July 30, 2013 - 10:59

Isn't this basically the same thing you hear from Newfoundlanders when mainlanders take jobs that Newfoundlanders are either unqualified for or unwilling to do? It's stupid no matter who says it.

• Tom
    July 30, 2013 - 10:53

While it is true that Mr. Mitchell is an idiot, he is not altogether wrong. I have lived and worked away (not Alberta) and now live back in NL, and I see a great laziness and carelessness in the work ethic of the people in this province. Not all, but most. It is shocking how terrible it is. People just don't care. Most people who have worked away for a long period of time and moved back would agree. I'm actually ashamed of the people in this province.

• Sharon Putt
      July 30, 2013 - 12:10

Tom You are ashamed of the people in this Province? Maybe you should go back to Alberta and become Shawn Mitchell's BFF!! I am ashamed of you Tom! Every place has it's slackers and I don't think NL has any more or less than any other Province!! Shame on you for defiling your own home Province!!

• Bill
      July 30, 2013 - 15:13

you're obviously not a newf...nice try though!

• Lucy Hodge
      July 31, 2013 - 11:06

I 'posted' a comment that they didn't 'post!'...I'm SURE you can use your imagination to realize what "I" said.... Does anyone else find it ODD that this paper can publish BIGOTRY, yet won't let a person RESPOND to it?????????...Hmmmm.....but then, if it's anything like "The Sun" in Toronto, it's not really worth bothering, I guess....lol...."We" know who we are....and I moved 'back home' four years ago, after buying a B&B....and working like a cross btwn a pack horse and a galley slave for over twenty years in Toronto...and NO, I do NOT owe them one GD thing...I EARNED my money....and I can spend it where "I" want.....as reference to Mitchell's letter! And Tom, if it's truly THAT bad.....please go back where you were....because we DO have the occasional "Village Idiot".....and it seem's you're ONE of them!

• Bruce Mercer
      August 06, 2013 - 08:20

Tom, you need to get out more. You are wrong on so many levels! My wife and I retired to Newfoundland five years ago. I had lived in Ontario for forty years and my wife lived in Ontario her entire life. We have been surprised by so many things. The people who have chosen to stay and live in Newfoundland are most often people who have the ability to love life and make the most of their opportunities. They also want to have a balance between work and life with their families and friends. We had a great life in Ontario but achieving balance in a demanding job while living an urban life style was impossible. And your comment that people just don't care? Wrong! If this is your observation in the area in which you live, then I challenge you to find a way to do something about it.

• Eileen
    July 30, 2013 - 10:47

I get more upset over all the foreigners we have in Canada. Call the Federal Gov't some time. Chances are you will get some one you can't understand. I live in Ontario (from NL) and I applied for a federal gov't job in St. John's. Because I didn't live in a 60 mile radius I didn't qualify. And I had 9 years experience with Revenue Canada in St. John's. Complain where it needs complaining.

• MudderL
    July 30, 2013 - 10:36

Sounds like Shawn Mitchell has sour grapes. Jobless perhaps? I first didn't agree with it being published, but I do now agree after hearing their POV. You see the same on twitter, for example for Theoren Fleury, anyone who critisizes him or called him cruel things because of his past he would re-tweet and I commend him for that. Let it be public, let them be shamed and have the public unleash fury on them.

• Cyril Rogers
    July 30, 2013 - 10:34

While any person from our province would be upset with this narrow-minded "idiot" I would like to remind readers that we have our own share of bigots and "idiots". All we have to do is look at some of the comments coming from our people with respect to Brad Cabana and his fight to try to stop Muskrat Falls. I was born and raised in Newfoundland and am very proud of where I come from but idiots and bigots are not confined solely to the "mainland. By all all means, condemn this guy's rant....but let's be more honest with ourselves about our own biases.

• George Hillier
    July 30, 2013 - 10:28

This guy absolutely disgusts me. He is a racist, and I would challenge him to a hard days work. He wouldn't last very long with the majority of Newfoundlanders when working the same job. Since 1998, when I made the decision to move away from Newfoundland for work, I have worked many long days, a lot of times working 2 jobs at once, to make a good living. These "migrants" are the same people who contribute to Alberta's tax base and economy. We buy cars, houses, food, the list goes on and on, and we are fiercely proud people when some idiot sends in a letter that is totally wrong, and condemns every Newfoundlander that ever worked in the province. Grow up, Shawn Mitchell, you need an attitude change.

• Dperr
      July 31, 2013 - 17:27

Its not racism, its bigotry there is a difference.

• like ducks
    July 30, 2013 - 10:24

Lets not forget, that during the 1930's when Alberta was on skid row, the country of Newfoundland gave a loan to that province to help them get along. Just to remind everybody that we Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are not as uneducated or without compassion as some may think.

• Marshall Art
    July 30, 2013 - 10:19

Mr. Mitchell needs to put on his ten gallon hat and his shorty pants, climb his climbin' pole, brush his tooth and bang some logs together. Whooo weeeeee !!!.

• John Brown
    July 30, 2013 - 09:53

The Calgary Sun, ha! Why am I not surprised? 90 percent advertising, 10 percent opinion pieces. It isn't a real newspaper.

• Conrad E.
      July 30, 2013 - 11:15

Ahh the Sun newspapers: By Those Who Can't Write, For Those Who Can't Read.

• Becky Tonner
    July 30, 2013 - 09:47

I have never been to "da rock" but have met many Newfoundlanders, and frankly I would rather have a Nlander as a friend than a "Blue Eyed Arab"...sorry for the politically incorrect description. The NLanders I have met are kind, generous, friendly, funny, positive, hardworking and solid people, just like "da rock" they come from, this wack job just shows that the farther west you go the wackier they get. Shawn Mitchell learn from the people that you just belittled.

• Doug
    July 30, 2013 - 09:32

I have no issue with the Clagary Sun publishing the letter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when its completely wrong. Mr. Mitchell shared his opinion about a province and a people he obviously knows nothing about. People from Newfoundland and Labrador are unlike a lot of other people in Canada in that we've travelled for work for many years. We do it because we want to work and believe it or not because we love our province and want to stay here. If that means go away to work we do it. However, the practice of travelling for work is very common these days and lots of people from everywhere do it. I live in St. John's and have heard of or spoken with many people who are from all over Canada, the US and the world. I think its great and if people can do the job so be it. The worst thing we can do is judge people by where they come from as Mr. Mitchell has done. Like anywhere, locals want locals to get the work BUT if they won't do it or aren't qualified to do it than you bring in someone who will. What ticked me off is when Mr. Mitchell decided to dole out advice about education and grammar. It's obvious reading his letter he should practice what he preaches. HIs letter is poorly written with bad sentence structure and its obvious he's not met many NL'ers. Most of us are friendly and hard working. Most of us are educated and skilled. Most of us welcome the chance to work and earn a living for our family. However, like all people there are idiots among us and that is perhaps who Mr. Mitchell has encountered thus creating his skewed opinion. I agree that Mr. Mitchell is an idiot but not because of his letter but because he appears to be a man who is set in his ways and resistent to change. That's his choice. I can tell you as NL native I've been all over Canada and the rare exception is someone who thinks poorly of NL'ers, at least in my experience. I have friends in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta and all of them are great people. Most of those friends have been to NL and tell me they love it and will be back. I choose to focus on that and not the small mindedness of some clown looking for attention.

• kenc
    July 30, 2013 - 09:14

When people express themselves like this there really expressing their ignorance due to lack of education.The culture this individual grew up in, and presently lives it is what foster this behaviour. My advice would be for this individual to break away from his present influences and travel Canada. A major part of expressing yourself is being informed and aware. John Cabot landed in Newfoundland in 1497, approximately 1790 Alexander Mckenzie travelled down the peace river to the pacific, that would transulate into a 300 year difference, or in your world Newfoundland is 1/2 hour later.

• paul
    July 30, 2013 - 09:02

this guy is an idiot plain and simple and not worth responding to, but too many Newfoundlanders have thin skins and a double standard...while they resent (rightfully) someone like this taking a swipe at us, so many of us just do not seem to understand that they do exactly the same to First Nations and other people...I've heard some of my fellow NLers bragging that they aren't racist, when it comes to black people (think of the rescue of the Truxton and the Pollux), but I beg to differ...when it comes to First Nations and people of another religion, many of the same people who wine about 'stupid newfy' stereotypes, use the worst stereotypes on other people. so, get over it people. learn to take it as well as you give it.

• TRUE LABRADORIAN
    July 30, 2013 - 08:58

I am a proud Labradorians, not a Newfounder I hate Labrador being part of Newfoundland All Newfoundland done is rape the resource from Labrador for example; Muskats Falls No power connection for any Labrador communities all power directed out of Labrador Newfoundland don't own Labrador Nor does Kathy Labradorian own Labrador

• Michael
      July 30, 2013 - 17:55

Sorry True Labradorian, but Newfoundland DOES own Labrador. On October 7th, 1763, the King of England granted the territory of Labrador to Newfoundland in the Royal Proclamation of 1763. It is a territory of Newfoundland as are the N.W.T., Yukon and Nunavut territories are to Canada. Look up the actual Proclamation and read it. Don't do the Wikipedia thing because it has no mention of this. In the Proclamation, the King demarcates the lands which belong to Québec and those that belong to Newfoundland.Pay particular attention to how he describes the waters that flow to the north and west to those that flow to the east. These landmarks as described by the King are still in force today. Sorry.

• Lynn
      August 01, 2013 - 01:16

Wow, they have idiots on the Labrador too,

• Ned
    July 30, 2013 - 08:54

One would hope that this letter was published as not to infringe on this person's "Charter of Rights and Freedoms" , and I understand the editor's intent to show these comments for exactly what they are ,...ignorance in it's most base form. If a person "wants" to work they will go to where ever they have to , to support the ones they love . It's no different for ANY area of the country. You do what you have to do to make a life. There ARE those who will suckle and the proverbial teat , but those are everywhere. Mr. Mitchell's comments are troubling in their intent and make one's thoughts travel back to a time when societies were not welcoming of others . People of his backwards thinking mindset should not be given creedence ,...or a platform.

• seanoairborne
      July 30, 2013 - 11:10

I wonder what the outcome would have been had this guys letter been directed at Muslims?Would they have published it?I doubt it.So much for the open minded folks at the Sun (and every other newspaper in Canada!) who believe in letting people have their say no matter how hateful the words!Your Charter Of Rights is a joke!!

• Proud Newfoundlander
    July 30, 2013 - 08:51

For the love of God, man! Open your eyes! If all the Newfoundlanders and "interprovincial migrants" left Alberta, there wouldn't be anyone left to turn off the lights! By the way...where are your parent's from...or grandparents. Chances are they went to Alberta looking for work and that's how you ended up living there. On another note, if there are so many Albertan's unemployed because the so called "job thieves" are taking all the work, why are so many Alberta companies paying bonuses and incentives to get people to go there to work and why are they willing to pay to fly people back and forth from "da rock" (and because I know you'll bring up grammar, I know I should have typed 'the rock", but we also have a sense of humor) and other places to fill the jobs?

• Fred Pener
    July 30, 2013 - 08:42

@Kirby....I am sure what you say is true but that isn't the point....the point is that 75% of NLs have a similiar opinion as the Albertan in question. It appears that if we were over-run with Albertans or whoever "stealing" our work then we would also feel resentful.

• wayne
    July 30, 2013 - 08:42

This would make a great reality TV show ....."Baymen vs Rednecks" There are bigots everywhere. The mistake here was to give one a platform to spout his garbage.

• Jennifer
    July 30, 2013 - 08:36

That is an awful letter....I am not from Newfoundland but I have been there and they are the most friendliest people I have ever met no matter where they are. I have no idea what is wrong with this guy but he must have a crappy life to be that ignorant. Like I tell all morons who complain that everyone is taking their jobs?...." it is because SOMEONE has to fill these positions!

• Debby Abbott
    July 30, 2013 - 08:34

I am not really surprised by the above letter – to be honest, it is sad when something so cruel & ignorant no longer disturbs a person. Being a Newfoundlander, I have unfortunately, witnessed similar rants and “opinions”. The most recent was with my partner during a vacation we took that extended from Alberta into and around some of British Columbia. We had a wonderful, fun and light hearted vacation but unfortunately, we too were subjected to a similar “being” and it was sad and infuriating. On our way to Vancouver, we needed to rest and decided to stay in Kamloops BC. It was late in the evening when we arrived and being unfamiliar with the area we did a quick search on Google for local hotels. The list was not limited, so it amazes me, that of all the hotels we chose one that would forever be in our memory (and not because of pleasantries). While checking into SOUTH THOMPSON INN & CONFERENCE CENRE located at 3438 Shuswap Road in Kamloops, the front desk attendant was approached by an elderly man. As she was completing the transaction, the man looked at my partner’s driver’s license and noticed it was from Newfoundland. He got so excited and it was quite obvious he had a story to tell. Not expecting what was about to unfold, we quickly and naturally returned the smile. Short lived to say the least. He proceeded to say “You guys are from Newfoundland eh? We had one of “them” work for us a few summers ago. It was pretty good until we hired the second “one” and man oh man when they got together it was like a foreign language. We couldn’t understand a word they would say. It got so bad we decided we would have to either make them attend the local college and learn English or let them go. We decided to let them go.” Okay now breathe my fellow Newfoundlanders, and while you are doing so I will answer your next question; YES!! I am very serious. That is exactly what that self-perceived educated and professional man said to two Newfoundlanders who were attempting to check into his establishment. And who was the ignorant, uneducated one at that point? Definitely not I or my man, we walked towards our room, entered and before we sat down, we decided we were not going to be staying for a couple of reasons, the main one, being the obvious one. So we did not stay, we continued our journey but uncontrollably bruised by the experience. Some who know us would ask, “Why didn’t you say something?” and my honest response would be this… Some people are just not worth it. Some people shock you to a point, where an immediate response is impossible. Some people who are into the public sector field should realize that maybe they shouldn’t even BE in public, let alone dealing with them but rather live in the woods or a cave. Some people are just ignorant, sad and self-loved. Back on Da Rock, Debby

• LDT
    July 30, 2013 - 08:29

I agree with the editor, bigots need to be exposed and confronted. The reasons Mr. Mitchell's rant is out to lunch have been listed hundreds of times over, I don't need to repeat them. I will say, however, that I am a very proud Newfoundlander. There is nowhere else on this earth I would rather be, and I consider myself lucky that I can make a living here when most of my family had to move away to survive. And thank you, Mr. Rodriguez, for that short but very well said Editor's Note. A distinguished nod to our value is sometimes more useful than a heated rant could ever be.

• Carter Laing
      July 30, 2013 - 09:21

I could not help but read such GARBAGE, regarding my fellow Newfounders, I am very proud of my Province, I to started out in Alberta, and thank them for allowing me to work there for a short period of time. This person or A--H--- you could say he is, has not much to do, but be little other people in another province. Thank you to the editor for standing up and spaeking his words regarding the letter he wrote. I have a brother who has lived in your province for the last thirty or so years, and they have treated him with respect for the work that he does. Alberta thank you for letting us come to your province and work. I also have a daughter working there, and plans to marry there next year, so thank you again. A PROUD Newfoundlander

• Yvonne
    July 30, 2013 - 08:28

It's too bad people like to judge Newfoundlanders. I know for a fact that Newfoundlanders are very hard working,friendly, non judgmental & smart because a lot of people have gone to newfoundland for an education from Canada & around the world, since we are a year ahead of the rest . So I guess Mr.Mitchell should think twice before he opens his mouth. We are like everyone one else We are very Proud of being from "da rock".I am a Newfoundlander and very proud of it.

• We
    July 30, 2013 - 08:21

For years, we moved away to work. We helped build Boston, NY and now AB. We took jobs that nobody else wanted. Mitchell is bored and looking for attention. I guess he didn't see the story that we just sent up ANOTHER 10 volunteers to help with the flooding.

• henry
    July 30, 2013 - 08:14

isn't rodriguez a Mexican name?? isn't alberta in Canada . aren't all Canadians allowed to live n work in other provinces ??? wonder where mitckell is fr originally its a NEWFIE NAME really

• Chantal
      July 30, 2013 - 08:42

'Rodriguez' is Spanish. But as some one else pointed out, we have the same bigoted stance toward immigrants and refugees.

• Kirby
    July 30, 2013 - 08:14

Must be a slow news day for this "news" paper; no wonder people get their news online these days! About time this attitude towards Nlers was put to rest. I lived there for almost 8 years and couldn't wait to get out of there. There are still people there who saw the Hibernia project as Federal social assistance! I have since had the opportunity to also work in the USA where there is no sign of this stinking attitude and it is very much a breath of fresh air.

• A Newfoundlander
    July 30, 2013 - 08:07

To start with if here is anyone in Alberta out of work its because they want to be,maybe he just dont have the training for the job that he would like to do .As for driving beat up cars it must be only west because us here in NL all drive fairly new cars,trucks,vans etc. back here.Thank you Mr Editor for the kind words but if this letter was directed at other people like aboriginals,blacks,Chinese or other cultures would you have made the choice to print it.Hopefully this guy don't run into a bunch of Newfoundlanders because he forgot to mention we also like to fight.

• Jermaine
    July 30, 2013 - 08:04

The "idiots" are the ones who think the Calgary Sun is a newspaper. Besides, we hold the same bigoted opinions about immigrants so who are we to criticize?

• Jack
      July 30, 2013 - 08:44

Speak for yourself, sir. When you say "we", you include me. YOU might "hold the same bigoted opinions....", but I do not.

• Cyril Maher
      July 30, 2013 - 08:55

Hear, hear!

• julie
      July 30, 2013 - 19:32

When you refer to "we" , you are referring to myself as well.... Please do not say "we", just say "I" ... I am far from bigoted & I treat everyone equal or I try to, sometimes it hard to do.... You have a great day

• Fred Penner
    July 30, 2013 - 07:58

There was an opinion poll conducted last night on Here and Now or NTV which asked (essentially):" should the jobs at Long Harbour be offered to those not from the province" and the response was something like 75% said NO, the jobs at Long Harbour should be filled by NLs.;Conclusion: It appears that 75% of NLs have a similiar opinion as the dolt from Alberta.

• kirby
      July 30, 2013 - 08:26

Fred! I have been all over North America in the past 15 years and EVERYWHERE I have gone the objective is always to give the job to a local but when the local does not step forward the job still has to get done! Employers just want an honest days work for an honest days pay. And they know NLers are a very good bet on that!

Stephen D Redgrave
    July 30, 2013 - 07:53

Having spent my adult life in Alberta, migrated from Ontario, I can tell you with a certain degree of confidence, this is not the feelings of Albertans. After all everyone in Alberta is from somewhere else, and even a quarter century ago, we all had this fact plated firmly in our mind. I've always found Alberta to be a welcoming place indeed. The guy who wrote this ridiculous comment must be getting 'shown up' at work, wife left him for a Newfoundlander perhaps, or maybe, he's just a Canadian moron. I recently met a man and his small child in St John's, from the north of England. The friendy fellow told me he was working for $9.00 per hour landscaping (cash). I told him--"hey, Buddy--you're not a slave. This would never happen to you in Ontario , or Alberta. You'd be treated with repect" I know I'm right on this one--hands down.

• Starr
    July 30, 2013 - 07:48

Poor Albertan - having a bad day (or a bad life). He'll find Newfoundlanders to be very forgiving. Come on down to da Rock for a vacation b'y - you'll love it here and will be greeted with warm hospitality ... and it might just change your mood.

• seanoairborne
      July 30, 2013 - 11:28

Not all Newfs are good and saintly!!I had one who was going to pull a knife on me and my GF back in 2002 while on a visit to Bannerman Park and the Folk Festival.When I seen him go for his pocket (while asking me what time it was to distract me) and his buddy moving to my side slyly,i told him in no uncertain terms that if he came out of his pocket with anything but his empty hand he'd have a terrible headach afterwords.I would have knocked him right on his a**!They backed off and ran down the street.So much for "all newfs"being friendly That's a myth! The tyranny of history is the maker of myth don't you know,b'ys?

• Fred Russell
    July 30, 2013 - 07:26

Mr. Mitchell seems to do alot of driving around. I wonder what he does to earn a living....Thankfully most Albertans love Newfoundlanders and vice versa.

• sparky
    July 30, 2013 - 06:57

If Newfoundlanders hadn't went to Alberta & Ontario years ago, to show them how to work, they would still be working on those High-rise buildings trying to figure-out 'how it fits'! LOL They know how to talk about work.

• Dana
    July 30, 2013 - 05:42

I find his critique of our grammar quite funny given the number of punctuation errors and run on sentences in this letter.

• Bernice
      July 30, 2013 - 07:56

The choice made by the Editor to print this trash speaks of the integrity of the newspaper and the Editor. The letter writer isn't the only idiot.