UPDATE: Veterans Memorial Highway reopened after two collisions

Veterans Memorial HIghway has been reopened after two vehicle collisions this morning that required traffic to be diverted onto Roches Line.

The RCMP says the highway is now open in both lanes.

(Earlier story)

The RCMP is now advising the motoring public that they are currently dealing with two separate motor vehicle accidents on the Veterans Memorial Highway that will result in delays.

Should anyone want to access the Trans-Canada Highway, police are advising to travel the Roaches Line.

"This is the only route that would not incur delays. The Makinsons area of the Veterans Memorial Highway is part of the delay area and does not provide quick access to the TCH," the RCMP says in its latest news release.

(Earlier story)

A section of Veterans Memorial Hospital has been closed this morning by the RCMP, due to a vehicle collision.

Traffic was diverted down Roaches Line, but around 8:30 a.m., firefighters began escorting traffic through the accident scene south of Makinsons.

According to Terry Roberts with The Compass, a Dodge pickup and Toyota Corolla were involved in the crash.

Emergency responders confirmed that two men involved in the collision are injured, but not seriously. Extrication tools had to be used to remove the injured.

Accident reconstruction experts are now on the scene.

Organizations: Veterans Memorial Hospital, RCMP, The Compass

Comments

Comments

• sue
    August 02, 2013 - 22:40

I don't normally comment on anything like this but comments on here about ppl driving too slow just don't cut it in my book. I drive quite often over many of our newfoundland highways and through my experience many drive way to fast for te conditions of the road . I am n experienced driver for over 20 years and I am actually scared sometimes to put my 5 year old in my car and drive . no matter what speed I am traveling there is always someone passing me like a drift in the wind . People these days are buying faster cars and think they are immortal to the world and don't take into consideration the family's traveling on the highways. people need to learn that speed gets u no where and drive according to the road conditions . It makes me mad to know that the gentleman in this story is fighting for his life right now a hard working family man who got up one morning to feed his family and seed does kill.

• annoyed
    August 01, 2013 - 11:31

I am constantly annoyed by slow moving drivers on this highway, a vehicle is designed to perform best between 90-100kmh for aerodynamics and fuel economy, when you are behind somebody doing 60-80k and no where to pass it can be very frustrating causing unsafe passing, this highway is poorly designed with no proper passing lanes and some unsafe intersections, people who are afraid to keep up with the flow of traffic should go the old way where speeds are lower until they think the road is safe, Wednesdays accident was most likely caused by excessive water on road, high speed and low and wide tire threads

• Paula
    August 01, 2013 - 08:06

There is no happy medium the this highway. I always try to stay close to 100Km IF the road conditions allow it! No matter how fast you drive there is always someone swerving in and out of traffic trying to get around you driving speeds way over the maximum 100kms/hr. On the flip side you get people driving 50-60 km/hr on perfectly good days causing just as much of a problem because other drivers are getting frustrated and trying to pass. Both extreme drivers are making this highway unsafe. Add the lack of a passing lane and you have a recipe for disaster!

• Roxann Ivany
    July 31, 2013 - 18:49

I agree that people should try to keep up to the speed limit on any highway, but when the weather is wet like this morning people should slow down as a speed where hydroplaning is not going to be a factor. And as for having to go over the speed limit to make up time, people should give themselves extra time for anything that may happen.

• Paul
    July 31, 2013 - 16:43

People who constantly drive too slow in good conditions are part of the problem as well. Others get frustrated and do stupid things to get around. Basically if you can't keep the speed limit under normal conditions, you shouldn't be on the road. The optimal situation is to have everyone going the same speed. People going to fast constantly catch up and have to pass others, while too slow and you create a dangerous train of vehicles. Then you get the second and third cars that are too scared to pass but will sit too close behind the slow vehicle making it hard for anyone to pass one car at a time, and thus have to make a try for several instead. Get up to speed and maintain it.

• Yvette Butt
    July 31, 2013 - 15:39

For your information.....the MAXIMUM is 100.......I never drive 100.....and NO I don't go the old way because of pot holes. I have just as much right to be on that highway ( I usually do about 80 unless the weather is bad, then I drop back) and for you to say that I am a hazard.....YOU ARE CRAZY!!!! SLOW DOWN!!!! NOWHERE IS THAT IMPORTANT TO BE.

• roadrunner
    July 31, 2013 - 15:30

Agree 200% with Wilma Hussey's comment. The number of cars driving half the speed limit on this particular highway is outrageous. There is another option - skip the Veteran's and go "the old way". You are obviously in no rush to get to your destination. I agree this causes a ton of unnecessary frustration for drivers, and unfortunately does cause a number of potentially avoidable accidents. I don't condone speeding or passing cars recklessly or in unsafe areas, but having been in this situation myself on multiple, multiple occasions, it is extremely frustrating to stay behind a car doing half the posted limit.

• Ali
    July 31, 2013 - 14:34

If you drive 100 people are still passing. It's just as well to take the signs down because people are completing ignoring them.100 was definitely too fast this morning because of the road conditions.this road should have been a divided highway or at least had passing lanes.it is no better than Roaches Line except for the new pavement.

• John
    July 31, 2013 - 14:33

Wilma,I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.I've travelled that highway thousands of times for my daily work commute since it was opened and the one thing that I see as being the biggest danger are excessive speeders and the lack of passing lanes. I usually always go 100km exactly when the wether is good, but am still seeing drivers trying to pass me whenever they get a chance,even around dangerous turns etc.I've had multiple near death experiences on that road and it's a real death trap because of the speeders and lack of police presence. We call it the black widow highway.

• MEJHE
    July 31, 2013 - 13:59

Agree! People drive way too slow on this highway and it is indeed a traffic hazard. Of course, this may or may not have been a factor this morning but as Wilma Hussey stated, it is just a General Comment. And a very true comment.

• Eli
    July 31, 2013 - 13:22

You're right Mr. Hussey but with my speed control set at 100 I guarantee you I'm passed with monotonous regularity on that highway, or have a tail-gaiter having an affair with my two tail-pipes. That's as bad as driving too slow. Invaribly, returning from Carbonear we cut across the barrens and come back via Blaketown & Whitbourne. Too many wingnuts on The Veterans.

• Billy Maguire
    July 31, 2013 - 13:15

Wilma, you DO realise that the SPEED LIMIT is a "do not exceed", NOT a "must achieve", don't you? Looking at the road conditions in the accident photo, I'd say the 50-70 drivers have the right idea.

• Ali
    July 31, 2013 - 12:23

People driving slow may cause an accident but people driving fast cause more.If you drive 100 on that road people still pass you going mad.this morning speeds should have been reduced to suite the road conditions. There was heavy rain and fog.Don't know why they didn't put a divided highway there or at least passing lanes.It's really no better than Roaches Line except for newer pavement.

• California Pete from NFLD
    July 31, 2013 - 12:21

Speed limit dose not dictate safe speed only condition of the road dose. No I was not there either but to me it look mighty wet . Also if one cant see ahed far enough to slow down in time you are ging to fast. Impaction is called Road Rage and if one has that problem please get of the public roads. Have a nice day.

• Ali
    July 31, 2013 - 12:21

• J Hiscock
    July 31, 2013 - 12:11

100 km/hr is posted speed limit for ideal conditions. From the pictures the road looks wet which are not considered ideal. Always in a hurry and speeding will only get everyone in trouble and is more of a traffic hazard than going slower than posted limits. Behind the wheel of any piece of equipment, patience should be practiced. If you don't have patience, leave home earlier.

• David Wilson
    July 31, 2013 - 12:10

Can't say what caused this accident, but will make a general comment: People drive way to fast for the conditions on the Veterans causing accidents. 70 km/hr is more than enough to drive when there are heavy rain conditions and the road are wet. Oh ya, and there are too many idiots talking and texting while driving on our highways.

• rf
    July 31, 2013 - 12:08

I can see what you are saying Wilma, but it's also not safe to be driving crazy fast either. Also days like today, I would be going 70 my self, the rain we had today, driving a small car, you wouldn't want to go any more fast, if people would just take their time, and be patient, there would be less accidents like this.

• Highway Driver
    July 31, 2013 - 09:19

Excessive speed, texting and poor driving habits are major contributors to the many accidents all over NL; but, everyone who frequently travels on the Avalon, knows that the drivers who commute to/from CBN are the craziest on the road by far!

• Christine
    July 31, 2013 - 09:18

As I understand it the highway is now cleared and the route reopened. Now will somebody take note and realise that the Veterans need some passing lanes and slower traffic (ie. construction/petroleum vehicles) should have to take the scenic route until this is done.

• Christine
    July 31, 2013 - 09:14

As I understand these accidents scenes have been cleared and the highway is a go!! Now, will somebody take note and realise that Veteran's has to have some passing lanes and slower traffic (ie. construction/petroleum vehicles) should have to take the scenic route until that is done!!

• Wilma Hussey
    July 31, 2013 - 08:24

Can't say what caused this accident, but will make a general comment: People drive way to slow on the Veterans causing accidents. The speed limit is 100 (except for a small bit outside Carbonear) and it is not uncommon to see people going 50-70. It you are going 50-70 in a 100 zone you are asking for an accident. You will be either be rear ended or force someone to swerve around you as people can't safely slow down enough when they come up on you. do see you. If not, you encourage people to pass in unsafe conditions as they become impatient with you. When they do pass you they drive over the limit to make up the time you forced them to loose. Going too far under the speed limit is a traffic hazard and must be addressed on the Veterans.

• annoyed
      July 31, 2013 - 13:04

I generally don't leave comments but i am sick and tired of seeing comments like this complaining of people going too slow!!! First of all, the signs say a maximum of 100km not you must do 100km. if driving conditions are not ideal as they weren't this morning then you don't have to do 100km!!! Plus, they may have been speeding which is a major factor in most areas where people do 120 or more in 100 zones. And if you are going to give people the excuse of they have to speed to make up for time lost by someone trying to keep themselves save then your crazy!!! i don't speed because someone in front of me is a little slower than usual...i leave early enough to make it to where i am going on time. I have travelled that highway plenty of times and never have i had to swerve because someone is going too slow...if people paid more attention to the damn road than to the radios and phones and the scenery, and keep their speed safe, which means slowing down when conditions are not safe to do 100, then the roads everywhere would be safer!!!!!!!!!

• Brad
      July 31, 2013 - 13:35

That's something I never got, people drive way too fast on the TCH but take their sweet time in town. It's quite common to see a car doing 40-50 on the parkway (the speed limit is 70).

• Sara
      July 31, 2013 - 14:10

YES!!!! You are so right, I've been saying this forever too.. It isn't the fast drivers that cause the accidents.. It's the ones who are going 50 on a clear day. They cause the other drivers to appear reckless and do things that they normally wouldn't do. It's so aggravating that cops don't haul these people over.. We can't be the only ones who see this as a problem? If a car was doing 40km over the speed limit they would definitely be hauled over so why isn't it the same when it's 40km UNDER. There's just as many risks.. These people shouldn't take the highway.. It's not like there isn't another route to take?? Go the old way if you want to be driving 60km/h MAX. It doesn't make sense?? Something needs to be done because I've seen a lot of close calls involving situations like this and it causes me to do riskier things to try to get away from these cars holding up traffic

• Jack
      August 01, 2013 - 01:33

I couldn't disagree more. People dive way to fast! I can be driving along at the speed limit and constantly have someone tail gating me and making bad passes. It is not because I am driving to slow it is other peoples blantant disregard to the speed limit and other people on the road. And if someone is driving the speed limit or a little lower than just calm down, relax and enjoy the ride. Seriously! What is the rush??? Speeding causes accidents, everyone knows this.

• Wilma Hussey
    July 31, 2013 - 08:18

Can't say what caused this accident, but will make a general comment: People drive way to slow on the Veterans causing accidents. The speed limit is 100 (except for a small bit outside Carbonear) and it is not uncommon to see people going 50-70. It you are going 50-70 in a 100 zone you are asking for an accident. You will be either be rear ended or force someone to swerve around you into on coming traffic. If not, you encourage people to pass in unsafe conditions as they become impatient with you. When they do pass you they drive over the limit to make up the time you forced them to loose. Going too far under the speed limit is a traffic hazard and must be addressed on the Veterans.