Maple Moose chip tastes like no other, says creator

Bonnie Belec

Isle aux Morts man in the running for $50,000 Lay’s prize

You’d be hard pressed to find a bag of Maple Moose flavoured potato chips in Isle aux Morts these days.

“They were even waiting at the store Wednesday to buy them when the Lay’s truck pulled in,” laughed Tyler LeFrense, a native of the community on the province’s west coast.

The 29-year-old musician and actor’s love of moose and maple syrup is what inspired him to submit the flavours together for a new potato chip in the Lay’s Do Us a Flavour Contest, launched by the company earlier this year with the help of Canadian actor Martin Short.

LeFrense’s concoction worked and landed him a $5,000 cheque for his flavour creation, and it has put him in the running for the grand prize of $50,000. There’s also a one per cent deal of future sales with Lay’s.

He’s one of four finalists, and for the first time since April he’s able to speak about it.

“The last thing I thought is I would get picked as a finalist. It was hard being around all my buddies and friends and thinking, ‘This is too good to be true,’ but not being able to say anything. Mom was the only one who knew,” LeFrense told The Telegram Wednesday.

In the fall of the year, moose hunting and cooking it with a hint of maple syrup are the ingredients he said he used to make his chip, and he says that all comes out in the taste.

“To be honest, mine is the most unique flavour of all because the other three have a taste like other chips that have already been made,” he said.

“Even when you open the bag the smell just hits you. It’s like no other. When I ate them first it was nothing at all what I thought it was going to taste like.

“I thought it would be like a sweet, maple taste, but it’s almost when I ate them it was like you picture yourself in the back of the woods, like a firewood taste and sweetness to it,” LeFrense said.

LeFrense, whose flavour was picked from 600,000 entries, was in Toronto this week for the company kick off for the online voting process.

Sunday was the first time he saw the chip bag and tasted the chips. He said when he went into the hotel one of the staff told him there was a gift bag there for him.

He said in April the company asked him to send photos of himself but he never thought much of it.

“They never told us much about the packaging but when I got in Toronto I turned the bag around and saw my face on it I said, ‘Oh my goodness, this is awesome. I have my face on a bag of chips,” LeFrense said laughing.

“I’d rather have it on a bag of chips than a milk carton any day,” he said jokingly.

He said while he only spent a couple of days in Toronto he was glad to be home and excited to get the province interested in the voting process. Voting got underway Tuesday and people are permitted to vote once a day until Oct. 16 at Lays.ca/flavour.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and to come from such a small community and go up against three major cities is exciting. I told the boys I’m putting Isle Aux Morts on the map for having the munchies,” he joked.

The Telegram newsroom purchased the four bags in the running for the top spot — Maple Moose, Creamy Garlic Caesar from British Columbia’s Jill Munro, Grilled Cheese and Ketchup from Ontario’s Angela Batley and Perogy Platter from Alberta’s Lucas Crawford — and did an unofficial taste test.

The Maple Moose received several thumbs up and some thumbs down, but overall won for the most distinct and unique flavour.

bbelec@thetelegram.com

Geographic location: Isle aux Morts, Toronto, British Columbia Ontario Alberta

Comments

Comments

• Andy
    October 22, 2013 - 21:46

I will never buy lays chips again.. Maple moose should not even make the stores as a snack food... Maybe pet-smart will market them as pig feed.....

• rob
    September 28, 2013 - 02:16

who ever says these taste bad is obviously campaigning for the others, this is a FANTASTIC chip, and it's unique, I haven't eaten chips in years, saw this bag, sounded interesting, now I'm actually going specifically to get them,,,,and I'm upset when the stores are out....

• Crystal
    September 09, 2013 - 22:04

I ate one chip. It tasted like I licked the bottom of my dirty BBQ.. Now I can't get the taste out of my mouth. So awful.

• Kensukei
    September 07, 2013 - 18:18

This has got to be the most disgusting flavor of chip i've ever had, and i've tried some weird chip combinations like cucumber lime and blueberry flavored chips. Anyone who likes these has absolutely no tastebuds

• MichElsVard
    September 06, 2013 - 17:19

Bought the bag ate 2 chips threw the rest out! Amazing comes to mind ! Absolutely amazing ! We really are stupid !!!! No more lays for me! Ever !!!

• D'Arcy
    September 04, 2013 - 18:30

These chips taste like smoked butt.

• Mr X
    August 28, 2013 - 06:01

WORST EVER! PUKE

• Randy Mackenzie
    August 25, 2013 - 22:31

These chips(Maple Moose) are the most disgusting flavor I have ever tasted and felt sick after eating. I do not understand how these could be a finalist.

• Sheri STRanger
    August 22, 2013 - 17:02

Delicious! Ive never had moose so I couldnt tell you if they taste like it but they taste like Maple Baked Beans to me and I love them! Im def voting for this flavour as it is the most unique and screams CANADIAN!

• Michele Cayer
    August 20, 2013 - 20:29

Lays chips are the best!!!

• Micheline Cayer
    August 20, 2013 - 20:27

I love all Lays chips, but the maple flavour one is exquisite!!!

• Bev W
    August 16, 2013 - 13:01

AWESOME chips, just bought a bag and ate the whole thing!

• D
      August 17, 2013 - 21:46

They are like no other flavour chip. I found though they tasted more like baked brown beans and maple syrup. I tried the other 3 but they were similar to other flavors.

• Tyler Lefrense
    August 12, 2013 - 17:53

Thank you all very much, everyone's preference is different, but again thank nyou all for voting and keep doing so everyday!!

• Janet Woodgeard
      August 21, 2013 - 11:39

I loved them!! Reminded me of Moose Jerky when I was a kid growing up in Northern BC, but also a little bbq Maple kick like back home in the Maritimes. I now live in Atlanta Georgia, and brought some home to share with family and co workers. They found them to be quite unique and tasty! I also enjoyed the perogie ones.. but the Maple Moose were far above the others. Thank you From Atlanta Georgia. One of my co workers mentioned that down here they ran a similar contest and one of the finalists were Chicken & waffles LOL.

• J Staples
    August 07, 2013 - 22:05

Moose flavored chips?! I got them, I ate them, I liked them! Maybe it's an Atlantic thing, but how can you say no to Moose meat and Maple? YUM!

• cathy
    August 06, 2013 - 18:07

I hope Tyler wins but it won't be because of the taste! These are the worst tasting chips by far that I have ever had the displeasure of eating. I truthfully couldn't even swallow the few I put in my mouth!! I've tasted all of them but the Ceasar Salad ones and at least I could swallow them. Good Luck Tyler...votes may get you the win but the taste won't..:(

• amy
    August 06, 2013 - 02:16

These chips are disgusting and I'm still trying to get the taste out of my mouth. I thought they would taste like maple with a hint of meat, but they were just a very strong flavored "meaty "BUT YET CHEMICALLY flavoured chip . wish i had bought the perogy flavour.

• Jimbo
    August 01, 2013 - 22:00

smokey bacon and maple moose taste almost nothing alike. These are good, and DO taste the most unique of the competition flavours by far. The perogy ones are also pretty good.

• rich
    August 01, 2013 - 21:33

great for this young man but i do not like this chip smells and tasts like a can of beans lol

• Wilf
    August 01, 2013 - 20:02

Best of luck Tyler

• Laurie
    August 01, 2013 - 19:17

The other flavors taste great but they are not an original combo..they taste like other chips. The maple moose is a totally uniqe flavor and I unfortunately ( LOL) can see me eating bag after bag! Good luck, my votes are going to maple moose :)

• bob
    August 01, 2013 - 12:49

tastes like no other, try smokey bacon

• Leanne
    August 01, 2013 - 11:14

LOVE these chips...could see myself eating bag after bag :)

• Lloyd J Mushrow
    August 01, 2013 - 08:18

A down to earth chip..All the best Tyler