Comments

Comments

• Jennifer
    January 01, 2014 - 18:13

I have watched the documentary "Dear Zachary" more than once. The first time I watched it I sobbed uncontrollably for this family's loss and the injustice bestowed on them throughout. I could not get past my own sickness and anger around it. When I watched it again I could finally see the celebration of life that it so eloquently displayed. Andrew was loved beyond measure in his short 28 years and touched so many people. Kate and David touched countless people and went on to make a huge difference in the name of their loved ones. Little Zachary, in one year of life, symbolizes so much and has moved so many. My heart aches each time I revisit this family's pain but I say a prayer for this amazing couple, for Shirley's children left behind and for all those people who hurt from this tragedy. May your lives be a testimony and used to the fullest.

• Randy
    August 18, 2013 - 02:16

What a monster this Turner lowlife was!! Imagine, take their only son, and then to deliberately cause them the total destruction of their lives by then diabolically murdering their only grandson, an innocent child , at that! Hopefully there is a God.

• Marshall Art
    August 17, 2013 - 23:09

Hey, Appeal Court Judge who released Turner on bail because you decided , in your infinite wisdom, that she wasn't a risk to the general population. It must suck , big time, to be you.

• Erika
    August 17, 2013 - 18:08

While I think it's so important to recount the Bagby's loss as the anniversary nears, there is another family grieving as well. My husband is Shirley's oldest child and Zachary's big brother. Every day of every year, he too, lives with the devastation of what happened. He has two younger sisters who also lost a mother and brother. The Bagby's are absolutely amazing people. The world is truly blessed to have angels like them here. I think they would, without a doubt, agree with me that Shirley's family deserve some recognition on this anniversary every year. Every year on August 18th there is an article written about the grief Kate and David face (rightfully so) but there is never any mention of the 3 children that were left behind. It's unfortunate.

• Pansy Martin
      August 18, 2013 - 20:32

The family of Shirley have suffered much, I can only imagine the guilt and questions about what could have been done to change things. This is a tragedy for everyone.

• David Bagby
      August 19, 2013 - 12:33

Erika has pointed out this oversight before, and she is (again) absolutely right. We have become friends with her and TJ, and we know that Shirley's family are indeed suffering from this tragedy just as we are.

• shirley
    August 17, 2013 - 13:20

my heart goes out to Mr& Mrs Bagby, no parent should ever have to go through what they did! and well for years to come. god bless you both RIP Andrew&Zachary with much love, shirley

• David
    August 17, 2013 - 11:15

I still think about the Bagby's everday. I can't imagine the pain they have experienced. The heartache, disapointment and sheer disbelief of the system of justice that had repeatedly failed them over and over again. By far the biggest miscarriage of justice in Canadian history. God bless you David and Kate, and please take some solace in the fact that not all Canadians are as incompetent as those who have contributed to your undescribable loss, and pain.

• Christine
    August 17, 2013 - 10:58

I cannot finish reading this right now. I have to come back later and read it to the end. I am still sickened at the injustices done to little Zachary and to the Bagbys. Keep strong until you meet again. God bless.

• Thomas power
    August 17, 2013 - 08:26

A parants love is truly A blessing I am so sorry for your pain I pray for your happyness & peace of mind. May God bless you & give you strenth to go on strive to be happy..

• Eliza
    August 17, 2013 - 07:52

The Bagby's are "from aways." Shirley Turner was a Newfoundlander. That's all you need to know to understand why the social workers and the justice system didn't protect Zachary the way the should have.

• Pansy Martin
      August 18, 2013 - 21:12

This is an inappropriate comment. I would welcome clarification.

• Catherine Wakeham
      December 10, 2014 - 21:39

I was born in NL in 1957 and left 1961.My Dad was transferred with TWA to the states. Newfoundland is the friendliest place on the planet, however, their democracy is decades behind. I lost a brother-in-law to murder in New Bruinswick CA, in 2008, which should and could of been prevented. They will have to have many more deaths to make true change. My father told me in 1949 when NL was still a British colony, that neither England or mainland Canada wanted Newfoundland which made the people of that generation feel very inferior (his exact words). The brutal killing of baby seals is also what Newfs were known for in the 1970's and 80's. Thank God for GreenPeace. I was and still am ashamed this is my where I 'm from. To Kate and David Bagby: I don't know how you do it. Your strength will be the ending to this Shakespearean tragedy. Human beings have been killing since the beginning of time. It's just a million times harder in North America in the 21st century. With sorrow, CW