Comments

Comments

• An Eastender
    August 19, 2013 - 07:17

Yes FOGNL people now know about the parking problems downtown,but there are a lot of home owners that have bought 25-30 years ago,have you seen all the business gone up in the downtown area on the last few years of course they need parking.In that area take the Mile One it's not there much more then 15 years.On Prescott St alone where my family live there is a B And B,A Hostal,A brewery,and also another Yoga/Paint Studio.and none of these business needed parking when they submitted their applications but they all hold permits,the B and B,and the Hostal alone hold 3 visitors permits that's 6 and there is only enough parking there for 5-6 cars as it is.you dont see anything wrong here.my family are on he corner of Bond and Presott have been for 45 years,never had a car then.

• Dee
    August 18, 2013 - 16:29

@Sherry you know there is an application at the City Hall that you can fill out to have a permit parking sighs erected in from of you home,as long as you have a disability permit,they are all over downtown.Could be a solution.:)

• fogNL
    August 17, 2013 - 13:58

I hate to sound insensitive, however, you knew what you were getting into when you decided to buy a house downtown. I recently purchased a house, and while looking at houses downtown, if they had on-street parking, I would move along because I didn't want the headache of it. You have a choice, and if you make that choice, you can't complain when you can't find parking.

• Concerned
      May 22, 2014 - 14:05

You are being insensitive considering you don't know the whole extent of the situation. You are just assuming that Sherry has a choice when a lot of people don't. The real estate market is too expensive and it's cheaper to live in houses like hers because it's not a desired area. Most people that live in these houses are just getting by and that's all they can afford. You don't know the full extent of the situation and, in fact, she doesn't have a choice.

• An eastender
    August 17, 2013 - 10:04

I lived in downtown all my life up until 10 years ago parking is a big problem not for the life of me would I even want o live there anymore.But my mother still live down there and the same thing we cannot visit her because of no parking.A lot of the problems council created.Do you know Sherry that all these lil B and B,s hold 3 visitors permit each,if I'm not mistaken when we got the notice from the city to allow these businesses that they didn't need parking.Now you have big business vans picking up people to go whale watching which takes two parking spaces while they are inside having tea,ask the residents if that's the truth.all these homes that used to be sinle family homes are now three and four apartments.And each apartment hold visitor and a resident permit which like a single family home there should only be one one per address,all I can say is I'm glad I'm out of downtown,good luck with council,Tom is a good guy he will be the only one to help.Another thing have you tried, if you have a disability did you request a disability parking in front of you house.

• TJ
    August 17, 2013 - 07:26

I call BS the city doesn't do anything only sit around and rake in money. Their idea of an investigation is answer your call and say" we'll look into it".... its the same at any level of government!

• Joe
    August 17, 2013 - 07:18

I had a great apartment downtown but just couldn't enjoy it, all because of the stress of parking. Coming home from a long day at work only to find some jerk parked in such a way that he's taking up room for two cars, is more than a body can handle. It was easy to find another apartment but I certainly feel for anyone who owns a house and is in this predicament.