Pattrick Blackburn posted this photo of himself on Facebook earlier this week, after he said he was beaten in a homophobic attack. — Submitted photo
The RNC says it has been in contact with an alleged hate crime victim, but he has declined to file a formal complaint.
Pattrick Blackburn, 30, took to YouTube and Facebook earlier this week to tell his story of having allegedly been beaten and robbed, after a homophobic slur was shouted at him. The incident happened in the Rawlins Cross area in the early hours of last Friday morning, he said. He said he was knocked unconscious and brought to hospital by a friend who found him on the side of the road, where he underwent a blood transfusion and had 18 stitches in his forehead.
In the past few days, members of the public have pointed out what they say are inconsistencies in Blackburn’s story, accusing him of faking the attack. Blackburn told The Telegram on Wednesday he was scared to leave his house on account of harassment, and added that his e-mail account and computer had been hacked. He declined an interview.
“The RNC has been in contact with the individual and provided opportunities to make a formal complaint,” police said in a media release. “Therefore, the RNC will not be providing any further information in relation to this alleged incident or answering any further questions until such time as a formal complaint is received.
“The RNC is committed to ensuring public safety and working with those who have been victimized by an act of violence.”
Police are asking anyone with any information about the alleged incident to contact them at 729-8000 or Crime Stopper anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS.